MCUniverse: The Town Hall Meeting of the Post-Blippers *mild spoilers*

Jeor

I think it will eventually blow over. They'll probably work out some compromise like Sony doing the solo movies and lending Spidey to the MCU for the ensemble movies for a fee.

Holland probably has a bit of influence here, too. Obviously he just wants to make movies and wouldn't really mind where the paychecks come from, but he could have some say in creative decisions given that a lot of the popularity with Spiderman is tied up with him as the actor.

9 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

That said, I think there is room for a Hulk movie between Infinity War and Endgame to tell the story of how Banner integrated himself with the big guy. 

My understanding is Hulk is still a Universal (so, ultimately Comcast) property if they make a film featuring him.  I do think we're missing out though.  Gotta figure that runs out eventually?  Fuck if I know.

As for Spidey, I think this is Fiege trying to gain leverage, wouldn't be surprised if he leaked it.  Bet they ultimately work something out, there's too much money to be made.

Its a bit sad really, Tom Holland spidey is great and I love all the connections to the MCU, it worked really well.

I wish Sony would just say 'its cool, you guys have Tom Holland spidey' we have Spiderverse spidey and we're gonna just go with that. Both are great, we can do both. 

The only surprise here is that Marvel were the ones who forced the issue. I was really expecting Pascal to get cocky (again) and demand better terms for Sony under the illusion the Spider franchises are back on track after one critically and moderately successful film (spiderverse) and one critically panned but commercially successful film (Venom). 

From Feige's/Marvel's point it was a call worth making. Get more money out of helping build the spidey brand. Unfortunately for them, Sony called their bluff. But money wise what happens to Disney? They weren't getting ticket revenue off the Spider-man films, they just made money off the boost in merchandise. If Sony can successfully continue the Spider-man films, Disney gets exactly the same amount of money without the expenditure of producing another spider-man film. It all comes down to money, irrespective of all the spiel about "one big happy marvel franchise for the fans".

If Sony screw up "Spidey 3: MCU no more" they'll probably come (web) crawling back to Disney and accept the deal. I imagine they'll have an uphill struggle to be honest as they've made the first two films so entrenched in the MCU that a third one that never mentions the Avengers, SHIELD, Iron Man or Happy Hogan will come off as very odd. I imagine Marvel can be very awkward and refuse to let them even mention those characters/factions.

Obviously there are ramifications for the MCU as well. They have to avoid mentioning spidey despite him being a key character in several films. Not as tricky as losing Black Panther or Thor but it does leave a character hole in their films as they don't have any young street-level heroes. Maybe it's time for them to dig out Ms Marvel, Young Avengers, New Warriors etc? I'm sure the MCU will survive. 

6 hours ago, Rhom said:

It’s all just a set up by Sony to do a live action Into the Spiderverse featuring Maguire, Holland, and Garfield.

Having them at least feature as voice actors of their characters in Spiderverse 2 would be fun. 

Haven’t seen this mentioned so maybe this isn’t on the cards, but would Sony not do a film with Holland where they don’t really mention MCU properties, but also don’t do anything to imply that it isn’t still the MCU? And then he bumps into Venom, and maybe sets up some Sinister Six stuff, thus Sony have stealthily got their characters in (what a lot of general audience members would assume is) the MCU? That’d be shit. Agents of SHIELD style sorta-in-sorta-out, yuck.

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Pascal isn’t in charge at Sony anymore.

Ah well there's hope they might sort something out still. Sony have stated any conclusions are premature and that the first wave of negotiations simply haven't resulted in status quo being maintained. So there's probably more wriggle room yet. I can imagine Sony will present a counter offer of they want to use Parker spidey and related characters (eg villains and jj Jameson) in their spin off films in exchange for the higher percentage.

Apparently marvel received 5% of ticket sales do 50% is quite a leap.

Another line of reasoning is that Disney doesn't want to spread Feige too thin and with eternals and shang chi to set up along with X-men and FF it seems a reasonable stance. That said there's no reason why Sony can't make an MCU shared film without Feige as long as he signs off on plot and characters used.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

Ah well there's hope they might sort something out still. Sony have stated any conclusions are premature and that the first wave of negotiations simply haven't resulted in status quo being maintained. So there's probably more wriggle room yet. I can imagine Sony will present a counter offer of they want to use Parker spidey and related characters (eg villains and jj Jameson) in their spin off films in exchange for the higher percentage.

Apparently marvel received 5% of ticket sales do 50% is quite a leap.

Another line of reasoning is that Disney doesn't want to spread Feige too thin and with eternals and shang chi to set up along with X-men and FF it seems a reasonable stance. That said there's no reason why Sony can't make an MCU shared film without Feige as long as he signs off on plot and characters used.

Well, no, now Rothman is in charge at Sony, and he's responsible for like at least 80 percent of the WTF/whoops we ruined it comic book moments of the early 2000s.

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

If this is all true, I feel sorry for Tom. It's like his parents got divorced and he's force to live with his mom without any visitation rights with his dad.

Yeah this sucks big time for the whole cast of the spiderman franchise in particular, but beyond the other stuff Holland really seemed to bond a lot with the rest of he MCU actors so yeah, pretty sad

3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

They can't, anti trust laws and such would go apeshit.

I wouldn't put that much faith in the failing institutions to protect us, but if it was allowed it would be a very bad thing. Disney can do the right thing by every movie they make and still be really harmful to the movie industry as a whole - the two things are completely separate and they're way too big now.

Archived