MCUniverse: The Town Hall Meeting of the Post-Blippers *mild spoilers*

Jeor

3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

They can't, anti trust laws and such would go apeshit.

I'm wondering why you're so sure "they can't?"  I'm no expert on this - and my knowledge comes primarily from studying political media - but my understanding of the courts' interpretation of the Sherman and Clayton laws is the precedents are pretty damn malleable.  Considering who's getting put onto those benches, I think it's entirely possible Disney may be able to get approval to buy Sony.  They might have to divest some shit like they did with Fox (although I'm not really sure what holdings Sony has off the top of my head), but I could totally see it happening.

47 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah I agree it's not likely to happen anytime soon, just saying it's totally possible.

Well, maybe. All the different Sony businesses are owned in the end by the parent company Sony which is a Japanese-based business (Sony Pictures makes the movies and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Entertainment, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Sony Corporation). So it's not just a question of US law but also Japanese law if Disney wanted to try to buy everything. They could just try buying Sony Pictures away from the parent company, but who's to say Sony is interested in selling?

And, going by Wikipedia at least, the Sony Corporation has an asset value about four times larger than 20th Century Fox, and has more assets and gross revenue even than The Walt Disney Company. Sony is truly massive and Sony Pictures is just one small piece.

21 minutes ago, Fez said:

So it's not just a question of US law but also Japanese law if Disney wanted to try to buy everything.

Right, I know jack shit about Japanese law.  But at least on our end I do think it's totally feasible.  As for Sony and Disney in comparison, looking at the main numbers on the right hand side of the wikipedia pages I'm not so sure about what you said, but I'm also pretty high and not so sure I'm doing the yen to dollar comparison correctly in my head.  Regardless, it's not like Murdoch sold all of Fox to Disney, so I don't think it really matters in context.

Well, just based on wikipedia, Sony's "total assets" is 20.891 trillion yen.  According to this, that translates to about $197 billion.  Disney's total assets is listed at $98 billion.  So yeah, I think Fez is right about that overall.

The reason people think Disney is a giant behemoth (and it is) is that all of its business lines are highly visible media stuff. The film studio, theme parks, ABC TV channel and merchandising. Sony is bigger from a financial point of view, but has a lot of more "boring" businesses in hardware such as audiovisual, computers etc.

When you compare Disney to other studios like Universal, Disney smashes them. But if you look at the parent companies (i.e. Sony, Comcast, etc) then it's a much more even playing field. It's just that Disney is its own parent company.

13 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

See now, if I google net worth, Disney comes in at 130 Billion and Sony at 30 billion. Not sure how these things work. Hell at this point I'm not ever sure if I'm awake.

Heh.  Yeah, I should probably go to bed myself, but playing your google game, I get the same thing with Disney.  As for Sony, it depends on what exactly you're referring to.  Let's go with Sony Entertainment - which is what we're actually talking about.  From wiki:

In terms of revenue, as of 2019, it is currently the world's 6th largest entertainment company at $14.1B, alongside Comcast (inc. NBC Universal, $95.50B), The Walt Disney Company (inc. The Walt Disney Studios, $55.13B), AT&T (inc. WarnerMedia $31.27B), Bertelsmann  (€17.96b/$20.30b), Vivendi (€13b/$14.70b), CBS Corporation ($13.69B), and Viacom ($13.26B).

So, in terms of the entertainment division, Disney could eat Sony and still be behind Comcast in revenue.

10 hours ago, Knight of Ashes said:

Someone at Quora suggested that Disney could just buy Sony, ala Alexander's Gordian knot solution.

in the late 90s Sony were offered all of the remaining marvel IP for $25 million. A sony high said no one gave a shit about the other characters so they just bought spider-man for $10 million. 20 years later and we're talking about how Disney could buy Sony. obviously this is more a reflection of how powerful Disney is but Sony would be a bit healthier if they'd wound up with the MCU. Feige would have still needed to be involved or whoever it was had the shared universe idea.

10 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well, no, now Rothman is in charge at Sony, and he's responsible for like at least 80 percent of the WTF/whoops we ruined it comic book moments of the early 2000s.

I'm going off how both of them fared regarding the spider-man films. Although looking into it it's pretty clear that Pascal is still heavily involved in all the spider-man films, giving interviews as recently as july and talking about far from home. So I'd say she's doing a great job of getting the films back on track but I'm hoping she's not involved in the current negotiations as her comments early on in the deal probably made Disney wary.

Part of me really wants Marvel to just make a Night Monkey movie with the same cast and never use the word spider in it. Holland can play Peter Parkour and they can go back to calling MJ Michelle. 

9 hours ago, RumHam said:

Part of me really wants Marvel to just make a Night Monkey movie with the same cast and never use the word spider in it. Holland can play Pierre Parkour and they can go back to calling MJ Michelle. 

FTFY

Are these Marvel TV or Marvel Studios? I know Marvel TV was supposed to be making some Disney+ shows. I'm guessing these are them since they weren't mentioned as part of phase 4 at comic-con. 

Archived