MCUniverse: The Town Hall Meeting of the Post-Blippers *mild spoilers*

Jeor

6 hours ago, divica said:

I just think it is weird for a movie called eternals to have a non eternal in the main role... 

And given the amount of eternals they have cast it should be pretty weird. The only way I see it is if we follow Kit finding out about the eternals and their society... 

They could use him as an entry POV character eg an adventurer who stumbles upon the eternals. Use him to see how the eternals work. He doesn't have to be the main character, think chris pine's role in wonder woman.

In Pompei he didn't make me believe the volcano.

Flashbacks and flashforwards along the entire timeline would be a cool way to go, like in Man of Steel, where they went away from chronological time and bounced from theme to theme and showed his formative moments and then cut back to how he dealt with that kind of challenge in the present.   But MCU likes to keep it simple and zoom in on one mile of the marathon.  We'll get a single episode story that any mortal characters could have been used for, probably, while their furniture hints that they're vampire old.   But this will give them time to do immortal puns that develop the characters.   I don't think you can make an audience care about a timeline spanning character by showing snippets of the eons.   We wouldn't connect with them, it'd just be an exercise in seeing how they'd think of us as ants.  Which is sexy for the sci fi fanbase but not so good for mass appeal.

1 hour ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Flashbacks and flashforwards along the entire timeline would be a cool way to go, like in Man of Steel, where they went away from chronological time and bounced from theme to theme and showed his formative moments and then cut back to how he dealt with that kind of challenge in the present.   But MCU likes to keep it simple and zoom in on one mile of the marathon.  We'll get a single episode story that any mortal characters could have been used for, probably, while their furniture hints that they're vampire old.   But this will give them time to do immortal puns that develop the characters.   I don't think you can make an audience care about a timeline spanning character by showing snippets of the eons.   We wouldn't connect with them, it'd just be an exercise in seeing how they'd think of us as ants.  Which is sexy for the sci fi fanbase but not so good for mass appeal.

Are you suggesting that Marvel should copy the highlander (immortals)? It could work... 

2 hours ago, red snow said:

They could use him as an entry POV character eg an adventurer who stumbles upon the eternals. Use him to see how the eternals work. He doesn't have to be the main character, think chris pine's role in wonder woman.

That kind of what I was thinking. For Kit to be a major character in the movie it is the only angle I can see... 

Anyhow, can the eternals exist on earth and the previous Marvel movies still make sense? What have they been doing? 

Just saw Feige confirmed Eternals will feature the first openly gay MCU character (I guess not counting that guy at the beginning of Endgame).  The hope for a Kit/Madden make-out session lives!!!  OTOH, saw in the same article that Angelina Jolie didn't even know Kit was in the movie, so which kinda makes one wonder how much of a role his character will have.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Just saw Feige confirmed Eternals will feature the first openly gay MCU character (I guess not counting that guy at the beginning of Endgame).  The hope for a Kit/Madden make-out session lives!!!  OTOH, saw in the same article that Angelina Jolie didn't even know Kit was in the movie, so which kinda makes one wonder how much of a role his character will have.

That could just be a result of how they film these things. I think if Harrington was cast by comic-con they would have announced him then. (the Shang-Chi actor had just been cast like that tuesday.) They haven't been filming long. If anything I would bet Jolie has a smaller role and/or wanted to film all her scenes ASAP and be done with it.  She's probably the biggest name in the cast no? 

Not strictly MCU related, but there was a rumor Disney did some New Mutants test screenings today and they went pretty well. So I'm curious if they'll do the previously planned re-shoots or not. Which just got me wondering about these contracts. Like how long can they reasonably have these actors wait to do reshoots?  It must sorta suck to know that at any time they could call you back to play a character you haven't played in months. Plus the superman's mustache thing comes to mind. 

22 hours ago, karaddin said:

Is Holland contractually bound to the MCU or Spiderman?

What would Holland do in the MCU if Sony pulled the plug on Spider Man?

In interviews Holland has said he's excited to keep making more and different Spidey movies. So either he's already signed up for more Spidey movies or his people are deep in talks with Sony's people. I think Holland personally really wants to go head to head with Venom.

Just now, The Anti-Targ said:

What would Holland do in the MCU if Sony pulled the plug on Spider Man?

Presumably find a new role to play in other films :P I was thinking in terms of whether he's allowed to do Spidey movies without the MCU involvement, not whether he could still do MCU movies without Spidey.

It will jar that they promoted him to Avenger status and spent the FfH touting Spiderman as the new Iron Man - only for him to vanish completely from MCU. Hopefully they’ll at least get an agreement to feature him in MCU films even if the Sony standalones are separate.

13 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

5 minute intro telling us they've existed for a long time?

7 hours ago, DMC said:

Gwymeth Paltrow didn't even know she was in a spider-man film so I can imagine a lot of actors who are doing these paycheck MCU movies just turn up do their lines and spend the money. 

OTOH she maybe knows the Black Knight has a big role but didn't know who was playing the part yet. They could easily schedule filming so that scenes with Black Knight haven't been shot.

For some reason the eternals promo art reminds me of the Shazam family. In a somewhat cheesy way. It worked in Shazam though so maybe the look will be fine in the film too.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

Gwymeth Paltrow didn't even know she was in a spider-man film so I can imagine a lot of actors who are doing these paycheck MCU movies just turn up do their lines and spend the money. 

Not that that would surprise me but apparently Paltrow suffers from memory loss.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/why-gwyneth-paltrow-forgets-she-was-in-marvel-movies.html/

I'm in the Me Too movement for memory loss.    Ask me about 2012!      All of the headlines about Paltrow outside of acting make the listener say, "....what?"   If she can't remember who she is or what she's doing, many statements from her make more sense in that context.   But her onscreen work for us has made the hero world seem very real and grounded and heartfelt.   So, weird recognizes weird.   Respect.

On 9/4/2019 at 7:21 PM, Myrddin said:

It'd be cool if Logan could show up in a WWII What If? Cap adventure...

Voice casting would have to be someone who couldn't possibly play live action wolverine though as otherwise there'd be too many assuming the actor was cast.

Can spidey appear in the what ifs? Pretty sure Disney can use all the marvel characters in animation. The snag might be that they can't use Holland as the voice.

5 hours ago, red snow said:

Voice casting would have to be someone who couldn't possibly play live action wolverine though as otherwise there'd be too many assuming the actor was cast.

Can spidey appear in the what ifs? Pretty sure Disney can use all the marvel characters in animation. The snag might be that they can't use Holland as the voice.

I remember reading a while ago that the spider-man deal was movies only, no TV. Though they'd have to work out a new deal now anyway. 

In other news supposedly RDJ is coming back to voice an AI in an Ironheart show Disney+. I was surprised E.D.I.T.H. wasn't voiced by him in Far From Home. 

4 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Marvel got the tv/animation rights to pretty much everything back a while ago. It’s why their straight to dvd animated stuff uses everything.

And they had ultimate Spider-Man cartoons and possibly had him appear in avengers cartoons

Archived