MCUniverse: The Town Hall Meeting of the Post-Blippers *mild spoilers*

Jeor

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Marvel got the tv/animation rights to pretty much everything back a while ago. It’s why their straight to dvd animated stuff uses everything.

Is direct to dvd different though? I find it hard to believe that Disney could do a live action Disney+ show starring Tom Holland's spider-man if they wanted. It'd be a nice way out of their current predicament if they can't reach a deal. They could just do a show where he retires or something. 

Edit:

Speaking to Variety, Sony Pictures chairman and CEO Tony Vinciquerra revealed that they're currently working on "five or six" TV series set in the Spider-Man world.

https://screenrant.com/sony-developing-spider-man-tv-shows/

5 or 6 tv series? Does he realize Spiderman is one character? I get that they have a whole cast to milk (Black Cat, Venom, etc) but I can't even see them spinning out X-Men into multiple shows let along Spidey sidekicks.

There's definitely quite a few ideas you could do within the Spider-man  setting -- stuff like Miles Morales or something set at the Daily Bugle -- but I'm guessing the 5-6 ideas are things they are developing of which they hope one or two will be good enough to actually become a series.

4 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Did Ghost from Ant-Man & The Wasp just die after Scott Lang got trapped in the quantum realm for 5 years?  IIRC was was waiting on quantum realm particles for therapy of her phasing. 

Janet van Dyne cured her with her quantum powers. I think there's been some rumors about the character returning at some point, though she wouldn't have her powers anymore, or maybe they would be obtained differently.

41 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Did Ghost from Ant-Man & The Wasp just die after Scott Lang got trapped in the quantum realm for 5 years?  IIRC was was waiting on quantum realm particles for therapy of her phasing. 

Presumably they'll just say she poofed too and then was cured after everyone blipped back by Janet. 

I know I said I'd read the Sony deal didn't allow for Holland to appear on TV, but I'm thinking they must have worked something out for What If? before things fell apart. It's been reported What If? will be 23 episodes, one corresponding to each MCU movie through Far From Home. So he kinda has to appear I would think? 

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I'm seeing conflicted info over the Spidey tv rights, so who knows?

I mean none of these deals ever seem to be made public, and you do see conflicting things reported. But seeing as how Sony seems to be moving forward with 5-6 ideas for Spider-Man tv shows and Disney hasn't announced any, I feel pretty confident that Sony has the Spider-Man tv rights.  Maybe direct to DVD rights are a different thing, or maybe Sony just licensed the animation rights back to marvel pre-Spider-Verse when nobody really thought there was a wide audience for animated spider-man stuff. I don't know. 

8 hours ago, RumHam said:

I know I said I'd read the Sony deal didn't allow for Holland to appear on TV, but I'm thinking they must have worked something out for What If? before things fell apart. It's been reported What If? will be 23 episodes, one corresponding to each MCU movie through Far From Home. So he kinda has to appear I would think? 

Spider-man will probably appear. The question is whether Holland will provide the voice. It's not ideal but an easy work around.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

I mean none of these deals ever seem to be made public, and you do see conflicting things reported. But seeing as how Sony seems to be moving forward with 5-6 ideas for Spider-Man tv shows and Disney hasn't announced any, I feel pretty confident that Sony has the Spider-Man tv rights.  Maybe direct to DVD rights are a different thing, or maybe Sony just licensed the animation rights back to marvel pre-Spider-Verse when nobody really thought there was a wide audience for animated spider-man stuff. I don't know. 

I think it's animation vs live action that applies to Disney vs characters they don't outright own. Like you say, spider-verse probably has Sony rethinking but tv animation vs movie animation is still a different beast. Or at least it was if the what if series bucks the trend of tv animation not being huge, things could change.

I didn't see the last Fantastic 4 movie but from the previous ones I had no idea they're suppose to be a team of super-explorers.  I'd love a series of movies that was like Star Trek with superheroes, but voyaging to other dimensions  and multiverses, whatever.  Why do they keep running away from that basic concept to just give us generic superhero movie?

On 9/11/2019 at 2:38 PM, Bastard of Boston said:

Can we talk about Variety reporting Hailee Steinfeld was offered the role of Kate Bishop for the Hawkeye Disney+ show? What an amazing get that would be. She'd be perfect, and beyond that, just the type of young actress that can usher in the changing of the guard we expect via Young Avengers.

I think she could be put to better use than another Hawkeye to be honest but if that's how they decide to use her i would not complain

9 hours ago, red snow said:

I think she could be put to better use than another Hawkeye to be honest but if that's how they decide to use her i would not complain

Kate Bishop is an amazing character, though. She is perfect for the role. I imagine Renner is on his last legs as far as the MCU goes. In the comics, Kate is jokingly referred to as the better Hawkeye, and in the case of the MCU, that can totally be the case.

4 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Kate Bishop is an amazing character, though. She is perfect for the role. I imagine Renner is on his last legs as far as the MCU goes. In the comics, Kate is jokingly referred to as the better Hawkeye, and in the case of the MCU, that can totally be the case.

I like the character too, at least from Fraction's "hawkeye" run. I'm just thinking it's a character that is for TV. Now, I'm not knocking TV - chances are the actor and character could be much better served in the format. But the chances of getting a movie out of it are slim as the original hawkeye never got their own film either. I suspect that's partly down to robin hood films underperforming at the box office and marvel being scared they can't sell a film without flashy powers. Black Widow might help change that stance.

I guess if a young avengers style film occurs then there's a chance for bishop to play the leader there.

On 9/6/2019 at 6:41 PM, Darth Richard II said:

I'm seeing conflicted info over the Spidey tv rights, so who knows?

Finally found an explanation

https://screenrant.com/spiderman-tv-rights-shows-explained/

According to the contract, Sony's rights encompass the following areas:

• Live-action and animated movies
  • Live-action TV series
  • Animated series with episodes longer than 44 minutes

•  

Archived