MCUniverse: The Town Hall Meeting of the Post-Blippers *mild spoilers*

Jeor

On 9/30/2019 at 2:12 AM, Heartofice said:

Well I thought I was happy to have Feige back on board for Spider-Man, but then I decided to watch Far From Hope and now I’m not sure it’s such a good thing. 

I think Tom Holland is a great Peter Parker and some of the directions they’ve gone with the character have been a breath of fresh air. Bringing him back to school really works. So I’ll give them that.

But Far from Home would have been a much better movie with no Marvel involvement I think. They spent so much time and effort discussing Tony Stark, and Nick Fury and the blip and made so many narrative choices to make those elements relevant that it never really felt that much like a Spider-Man movie.

I mean it had a lot of other problems as well. I never really bought the Mysterio angle and the plotting is almost an irrelevance in this movie, but then maybe with no Marvel they could have gone down an entirely different path, kept the scale smaller and more local and have less over the top CGI fights.

Just wishful thinking I guess, but so far this Sony Marvel partnership has produced two very average movies , and some great Avengers cameos. The potential hasn’t quite been fulfilled 

I think Far From Home isn’t truly a movie on it’s own but works well as the denouement to Phase 3 MCU. In the theater when the emotional impact of End Game was still fresh(er), the movie worked in that role. I’m. It surprised it doesn’t hold up well on it’s own terms upon a rewatch. 

1 hour ago, unJon said:

I think Far From Home isn’t truly a movie on it’s own but works well as the denouement to Phase 3 MCU. In the theater when the emotional impact of End Game was still fresh(er), the movie worked in that role. I’m. It surprised it doesn’t hold up well on it’s own terms upon a rewatch. 

I think that's a fair assessment as a phase 3 bookend. The night monkey stuff was great and in general the road trip aspect worked. But the mid credit scene was still the best and why I'm happy the third film will still be in the MCU. I'm interested in how other heroes and SHIELD will respond.

Seems like the new deal was 25% box office in exchange for 25% production costs. Not the hardball 50%. There was a crazy rumour that alan horn thought spidey rights reverted back to Disney if deal fell through (as opposed to sony getting spidey back) and that Feige had to renegotiate. I'd hope that wasn't true or there are people at the top getting paid far too much for being incompetent.

I wonder if this will affect the main MCU release schedule now spidey 3 is locked in? I also wonder which of the announced films could work Spider-Man in or is it more the case they'll save him for an as yet unannounced avengers/ensemble film?

1 hour ago, unJon said:

Well the problem was I didn’t need a denouement to Endgame, what I really wanted was a Spider-Man movie. I sort of got that at times, but a lot of Pete’s motivation got mixed up with ‘with great Tony Stark power comes great Tony Stark responsibility’. That doesn’t feel right to me.

If they totally separated Spidey from Marvel then I’d hope there would be more focus on him struggles to balance his life, and less on him being an Avenger.

‘Avengers’ Star Tom Hiddleston Calls For Marvel To Save Charlie Cox’s ‘Daredevil’ Series

https://heroichollywood.com/tom-hiddleston-avengers-charlie-cox-daredevil/

After a performance of Betrayal, a Broadway production that stars both Avengers star Tom Hiddleston and Daredevil actor Charlie Cox, the former began signing autographs for fans. During the autographing session, a group of dedicated fans asked Avengers star Tom Hiddleston if he’d be kind enough to send a few words of encouragement to Marvel. Obliging, Tom Hiddleston responded with “Save Daredevil,” effectively making him a member of the coveted movement focused on bringing Charlie Cox’s Daredevil show back on the air.

• 2 weeks later...

Feige is now in charge of all of Marvel Entertainment

So no longer will one group of people be running Marvel TV and another group running the film division...that is also starting to make shows. This shouldn't really effect Agents of SHIELD. But if Helstrom ever gets made I guess it can be part of MCU proper. Also if they revived any of the netflix shows the heroes might actually have a chance of appearing in the films. 

26 minutes ago, RumHam said:

So no longer will one group of people be running Marvel TV and another group running the film division...that is also starting to make shows. This shouldn't really effect Agents of SHIELD. But if Helstrom ever gets made I guess it can be part of MCU proper. Also if they revived any of the netflix shows the heroes might actually have a chance of appearing in the films. 

I think this has even bigger implications for the comics. Feige is now in charge of them, too, which is pretty insane. One has to wonder what this means for Perlmutter.

Hopefully they put Perlmutter into a capsule and launch him into the sun.

41 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Shield's final season finished filming a while ago and from what I understand post production is wrapping up too, so probably nothing.

16 hours ago, RumHam said:

I don't know anything about Feige's workflow process, but I hope he has people working for him that he trusts completely; because between this and the Star Wars movie he's involved with, I don't see how he'd have the bandwidth to ensure quality control on everything.

Is this what's really behind Scorsese's anti-Marvel rants?

Meanwhile, Scorsese's latest project is reportedly already creating Oscar buzz. The Irishman will hit cinemas on November 1 before its Netflix release on November 27.

He's pissed off that whereas in the past his films could command pride of place in cineplexes, but now he's "reduced" to minimum theatrical releases to qualify for the Oscars but otherwise going straight to "TV"?

Artistic sour grapes typically has a motive that isn't really about artistic merit.

5 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I believe it was his decision to go to netflix.

It wasn't his first choice. Digitally de-ageing most of your cast for most of a three and a half hour movie is expensive, and no one else would finance it. 

38 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I believe it was his decision to go to netflix.

Sure, it would not have gone to Netflix if he hadn't decided to go to Netflix. The question is why he decided to go to Netflix? Could he not get the financial backing to make this movie for a normal theatrical release? Could he get the financing but not secure enough screens for his preferred opening week?

The only way I see Netflix being the preferred choice is if Netflix went to him and said "how would you like to make a movie for us." But even then, he could be thinking "Is this what I've come to? I have enough space in my calendar to make a movie for Netflix, because I'm not getting the chances to make a movie for the big screen."

I don't agree with everything Scorsese has said (albeit I think he does have a point, just..inartfully articulated), but I'm not gonna cast aspersions on his motives or suggest he's bitter cuz he had to go to Netflix for financing.  He's an old man stubborn in his ways and sometimes you just have to shrug and change the subject.  Just like visiting my dad.

• 3 weeks later...

Scorsese wrote an op-ed in the NYT (the link is from MSN, not paywalled) clarifying his remarks which were the main part of conversation on this thread last time it was active.  I think he makes a lot of good points:

So, you might ask, what’s my problem? Why not just let superhero films and other franchise films be? The reason is simple. In many places around this country and around the world, franchise films are now your primary choice if you want to see something on the big screen. It’s a perilous time in film exhibition, and there are fewer independent theaters than ever. The equation has flipped and streaming has become the primary delivery system. Still, I don’t know a single filmmaker who doesn’t want to design films for the big screen, to be projected before audiences in theaters.

That includes me, and I’m speaking as someone who just completed a picture for Netflix. It, and it alone, allowed us to make “The Irishman” the way we needed to, and for that I’ll always be thankful. We have a theatrical window, which is great. Would I like the picture to play on more big screens for longer periods of time? Of course I would. But no matter whom you make your movie with, the fact is that the screens in most multiplexes are crowded with franchise pictures.

And if you’re going to tell me that it’s simply a matter of supply and demand and giving the people what they want, I’m going to disagree. It’s a chicken-and-egg issue. If people are given only one kind of thing and endlessly sold only one kind of thing, of course they’re going to want more of that one kind of thing.

That's helpful, but he continues to make the error of pronouncing on the content of films he admits he hasn't watched ("But the sameness of today’s franchise pictures is something else again. Many of the elements that define cinema as I know it are there in Marvel pictures. What’s not there is revelation, mystery or genuine emotional danger. Nothing is at risk.") Other than that, it's just bemoaning the fact that cinemas don't show the kind of pictures he loves any more. He sort of acknowledges why that is, but he wants to blame it on Marvel and franchise films, which are a symptom and not the cause. The fact is, franchise films aren't crowding out the type of films Scorcese wants to see more of on the big screen: if Marvel never made another film, audiences would not be rushing to see The Irishman instead. They'd be at home. 

Archived