MCUniverse: The Town Hall Meeting of the Post-Blippers *mild spoilers*

Jeor

I'd heard rumours months ago about Dr Strange 2 being a lot darker, more of a horror that was going to push its certification to the limits. That sounded great! The first movie was really safe and formulaic. There was I guess some interesting visuals sprinkled throughout it, but its story and structure were just dull. 

It's really disappointing. There is no way whoever comes in now will be able to do anything but a workman like job Ron Howard job on it. 

Having seen Exorcism of Emily Rose I seriously doubt that Derrickson making it into a horror was going to make it any more actually interesting- I found it bland and boring as hell and I've barely even seen any horrors.

Dream scenario would be Phoebe Waller-Bridge fancies a go at directing...

Morbius trailer:

Yes I'm spoiler tagging the reveal at the end of a trailer.

Edit: also it's pretty disingenuous of them to say "from the studio that brought you Far From Home and Homecoming" when by all accounts they had very little input on those movies. 

WTF? There's no way they'd cast Keaton as someone other than Vulture if they plan on using Holland's Spider-Man in these movies. Plus the "murderer" spray-painted on Spider-Man's picture.  But then like...Marvel is also doing Blade which I assume has a different take on vampires? I know nothing about Morbius and only know Blade from the movies.

21 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Morbius trailer:

Edit: also it's pretty disingenuous of them to say "from the studio that brought you Far From Home and Homecoming" when by all accounts they had very little input on those movies. 

Hide contents

WTF? There's no way they'd cast Keaton as someone other than Vulture if they plan on using Holland's Spider-Man in these movies. Plus the "murderer" spray-painted on Spider-Man's picture.  But then like...Marvel is also doing Blade which I assume has a different take on vampires? I know nothing about Morbius and only know Blade from the movies.

Interesting... I have yet to see Venom.  Suppose I need to get around to it.  Looks like Sony is going all in on making Spiderman's rogues gallery into anti-heroes.

Spoiler

I would agree.  Take the fact that you mention and add in that they very specifically put it in as a "post credits" teaser for the trailer and there's no way he's not Vulture.  That is a very interesting development.

I didn't see the murderer tag.  Where was that in the trailer?

Just now, Rhom said:

Interesting... I have yet to see Venom.  Suppose I need to get around to it.  Looks like Sony is going all in on making Spiderman's rogues gallery into anti-heroes.

Hide contents

I would agree.  Take the fact that you mention and add in that they very specifically put it in as a "post credits" teaser for the trailer and there's no way he's not Vulture.  That is a very interesting development.

I didn't see the murderer tag.  Where was that in the trailer?

About 2:09 on a brick wall on the right. 

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

I'll be damned... yup, there it is.

God, this deal between Sony and Marvel is weird and about to get weirder.

51 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Morbius trailer:

Reveal hidden contents

They paid for them though right? I was under the impression Sony footed the bill. Who knows though.

And yeah if this ISNT tied into the MCU there are going to be people in the audience who are pissed.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

They paid for them though right? I was under the impression Sony footed the bill. Who knows though.

And yeah if this ISNT tied into the MCU there are going to be people in the audience who are pissed.

Yeah, they paid for them and laid down a list of rules (like Peter Parker had to be white and straight, no sex before 16 and no killing unless in self defense are the one's I remember) but Marvel handled the actual production. 

Edit: My mistake those were rules Marvel had for Sony's use of the character. Still hilarious though. "Does not sell/distribute illegal drugs*" I really wanna know what that * was indicating but the article doesn't say. 

11 hours ago, Rhom said:

I'll be damned... yup, there it is.

God, this deal between Sony and Marvel is weird and about to get weirder.

This is exactly what I was afraid of, this bugs the crap out of me tbh. I know it shouldn’t and it shouldn’t really matter, but the fact that the MCU was so carefully crafted over time so that it all made sense was huge for me. Now they’re smuggling in films that weren’t ever part of it (Venom, you would have to assume). I’d at least hoped from Feige’s comments about Spider-Man crossing universes that he would literally do that; like Supergirl in the Arrowverse, lives in the MCU but can cross a barrier to see the Sonyverse. I guess you can still pretend it’s separate, but with the characters and plots lifted from the MCU it’s just too weird.

12 hours ago, RumHam said:

Apparently the costume is different as well as it being lifted from the PS4 game's loading screen so there's probably enough wiggle room.

I think Sony can probably get away with using elements of the MCU as long as they are characters they own and as long as the events of the movie don't change the MCU. Eg Venom could have existed in the MCU because it doesn't really do anything that changes it besides adding some aliens to the mix.

As for morbius, from the 90s cartoon at least, he is a man made (through science gone wrong) vampire who absorbs life force rather than blood (but that might be a kid friendly taken spin on his powers). There are more traditional vampires running around in the MCU though. Blade seems to feel both types are a threat. Obviously this is an area Sony will need to tread lightly with the Blade film in development unless Disney just steam rolls over the continuity of morbius.

I read a report that the "will it ever be released" new mutants film will be part of the MCU. But by the time it is released we'll have probably had 2 X-Men films and an avengers v X-Men event film.

No discussion of the Black Widow tv spot? I thought it looked really good and like it would fall into the Captain Marvel category of films (Don’t really require the context of the other films to understand).

eta: here

17 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

This is exactly what I was afraid of, this bugs the crap out of me tbh. I know it shouldn’t and it shouldn’t really matter, but the fact that the MCU was so carefully crafted over time so that it all made sense was huge for me. Now they’re smuggling in films that weren’t ever part of it (Venom, you would have to assume). I’d at least hoped from Feige’s comments about Spider-Man crossing universes that he would literally do that; like Supergirl in the Arrowverse, lives in the MCU but can cross a barrier to see the Sonyverse. I guess you can still pretend it’s separate, but with the characters and plots lifted from the MCU it’s just too weird.

I feel the same way. Hated the "From the studio that brought you.." Yes that might be technically correct but no, just no. I refuse to give my money to Sony.

5 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

No discussion of the Black Widow tv spot? I thought it looked really good and like it would fall into the Captain Marvel category of films (Don’t really require the context of the other films to understand).

eta: here

It might just be the red tones but I got a Daredevil feel. Like this is Disney's plan to fill in for the Netflix cancellations. It likely won't be as gritty and murderous but I distinctly got that feeling. Still not paying for a 3rd streaming service though.

25 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

I feel the same way. Hated the "From the studio that brought you.." Yes that might be technically correct but no, just no. I refuse to give my money to Sony.

It might just be the red tones but I got a Daredevil feel. Like this is Disney's plan to fill in for the Netflix cancellations. It likely won't be as gritty and murderous but I distinctly got that feeling. Still not paying for a 3rd streaming service though.

This is a cinema release isn’t it?

Yeah.   So Russia Man is filling me with doubt for now, but when we see this he'll be delightful and it's an episode of Family Ties inside a spy movie.  Okay.    It'll be fine.   Showing that guy in his outfit kind of lowers the property values as they try to sell this thing, but they decided to be honest by putting him in the trailer and not springing him on people as a surprise in the theater.   That's admirable.   But the sister stuff didn't seem funny either...... so if it's a family comedy..... hmmmm.    I hope this fam doesn't block my view of Johannson.  Eh, it'll be fine

• 2 weeks later...

Howard the Duck and Tigra and Dazzler shows are not happening

Supposedly MODOK and Hit Monkey, are still happening, but I'll believe it when I see it. They did just announce the voice cast for MODOK. Helstrom I think will come out just cause they were further along in production when Marvel TV became totally irrelevant.

Hit Monkey is officialy deep into the Bin of "Huh?" and I've looked into the wiki at this point yet never ran across a link to.....him or it.   I've heard of modok, and know that he presents a challenge similar to the fantastic 4 in terms of how do you keep the mainstream audience from just smirking when you unveil him.

Wanda show can be sold as big potential fun as wanda is wild and there's her high level mystery to unravel.   but bucky and falcon and other shows are heading into the weeds far enough that the main entertainment road has been left behind and they're on a dirt hiking trail now.   This is where disney has built it out to, as they should, to see how many will follow them offroad, but we're at the point where I wouldn't get a streaming service just to see these shows.   This is more for keeping the people who already have the service, giving them a feeling like the purchase is unfolding more value like a flower.   It'll also trap people into watching some things that.......are best enjoyed by a captive audience.

Archived