MCUniverse: The Town Hall Meeting of the Post-Blippers *mild spoilers*

Jeor

Looks great. So we saw Taskmaster doing Captain America, Black Pather and Hawkeye. Did I miss any? It'd be great if they just had him bust out Wolverine claws at some point. 

I just read (on Wikipedia, so insert grain of salt) that the actor playing Taskmaster hasn't been revealed yet. It'd be cool if it was Chris Evans or some other Avenger actor playing a second MCU character. 

35 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Looks great. So we saw Taskmaster doing Captain America, Black Pather and Hawkeye. Did I miss any? It'd be great if they just had him bust out Wolverine claws at some point. 

That would be a great tease. Would make sense for him to do some shang chi but we won't know until his film is released.

I'm hoping bale isn't being wasted on a one-off villain. Ideally he'll be Doom or maybe Kang

Awesome. I was hoping we'd see more Thor/Guardians dynamic, but I worried that Thor would dominate a GotG movie too much. Hopefully we get to explore that dynamic more here and then let the Milano crew peel off again without him.

6 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Awesome. I was hoping we'd see more Thor/Guardians dynamic, but I worried that Thor would dominate a GotG movie too much. Hopefully we get to explore that dynamic more here and then let the Milano crew peel off again without him.

It makes sense given the order of films that they have to tie-up thor and the guardians. Probably at the start of the film to hand Thor off. I suspect he won't be in guardians 3 unless Portman Thor sticks. 

Wonder if thor will do something unworthy with the guardians resulting in his loss of mjolnir/title?

Alpha Groot sounds great especially if he is as the article suggests

35 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Based on what? Early tracking numbers have it opening huge and it’s got nothing but positive buzz right now.

I hate to say it but it depends crucially on the Coronavirus, if that’s still a thing then cinemas will take a bad hit. It’s a room full of strangers that you don’t have to go to. Hence why they delayed Bond (although it’s a month later).

I do have another theory as to why the MCU is so successful though; I think the idea that they exist in a parallel universe with a concurrent chronology really helps. It’s like a soap, even when there isn’t a film out at the cinema you get the sense that they’re still there living their lives, and so the releases are opportunities to catch up on what’s going on. I know the chronology is a little wonky in places, but by and large the idea is that the events happen in the year they’re released. Black Widow of course is a prequel, so there’s no reason to expect we’ll learn anything major or get brought up to speed on things in the MCU right now.

Star Wars has been less successful, and doesn’t have a consistent chronology outside of the Skywalker Saga. There’s no other media that runs concurrently with it, it’s all about filling in gaps from established eras. This is a bit of a downside for Star Trek right now, it doesn’t have any concurrent shows or movies (and none planned either, S31*, Pike, animated show, Discovery, Picard, none of them overlap). It’s 90’s hay-day had that in abundance, with 1987-2001 providing a perfectly mapped alternate universe that had 1 to 1 correspondence with our own chronology (excepting TOS movies).

Just a theory, maybe it’s not as relevant to other people. But it seems to track with the success of these shared universes.

*EDIT: actually I have nothing to base that on, it could be set absolutely anywhere in time.

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Based on what? Early tracking numbers have it opening huge and it’s got nothing but positive buzz right now.

I think Marvel fatigue is inevitable, she is the least interesting avenger, and the trailer looks terrible. 

Edit, just saw most recent trailer. That is much better. 

I plan to watch it but I do see the current climate where people are afraid of the corona virus having an impact. Pro sports are talking about eliminating fans from attending games if it gets worse, they already have banned locker room access to reporters and non essential people. Hell if the Olympics are making plans to modify events then it would definitely impact people going to movies in large crowds.

I’m surprised there is much buzz around this movie at all, I’ve seen very little about it outside of here and Black Widow was never a big sell on her own, as good as Scarlet is in the role. 

It looks better than a lot of the mid tier Marvel movies, it has a Winter soldier vibe then I’m happy.

3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

What the hell is an alpha groot?

Next stage in groot's life. Theory is he's a muscle-bound young adult now instead of teen.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I have a feeling black widow is going to do a Solo at the box office. 

It is a film about a dead character which is less enticing than if she was still alive.

Coronavirus might make it impossible to tell why/if it bombs. If it becomes most pirated film of the year it would suggest people are avoiding cinemas. Might be a year where they consider big releases as pay per view digital releases? 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I think Marvel fatigue is inevitable, she is the least interesting avenger, and the trailer looks terrible. 

Edit, just saw most recent trailer. That is much better. 

Hawkeye. 

Your point is refuted. 

(Seriously, comics Hawkeye >>>> MCU Hawkeye.)

6 minutes ago, mormont said:

Hawkeye. 

Your point is refuted. 

(Seriously, comics Hawkeye >>>> MCU Hawkeye.)

Yep. He's always been a supporting player, and has barely anything interesting going on in his background in the MCU. Black Widow has had much more of a presence, and makes much more of a presence, IMO.

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

This is a small and unimportant point, but the Milano was abandoned in GotG2. The new ship is called the Benatar.

Whoops. You're right. Thanks.

ETA: Regarding interest in the BW movie, it does feel too late. Her fate is known. Instead of looking forward in the post-Thanos MCU world, we're looking backward? Sadly, people will point to "female superhero" as the reason this movie fails (if it does) when I think it'd struggle no matter who the hero was. It'd be different if there was some open character question that the movie answers.  Instead we (re)visit a past life we didn't really know about (aside from the vision in AoU).

That said, I'd love for this to tap into the Winter Soldier vibe and be a fun movie.  

Archived