Cricket 36: Ashes to Ashes, Warner to Dust...

Jeor

Lead or no lead, I think the match is headed for the draw. Australia needed to score more quickly if they wanted to build a lead and have enough time to bowl England out.

28 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

I don't think it's necessarily Archer as much as two paced pitch. They are misjudging the bounce quite a bit. Ducking on length, but some are powering through while others aren't going up. Although his pace is definitely the dangerous factor, in that there is really not much you can do at that pace if its not bouncing.

And yes I think you're right...the pitch has played its part. Some of the balls have been screaming off a length over the keeper's head but the odd ones are staying low. It isn't an overly dangerous pitch but it does offer assistance to a quick guy like Archer.

1 minute ago, Philokles said:

Can't believe they've let him come back out again. Especially with this one heading to a draw.

It does seem a bit reckless to me. I guess he really wants to get another hundred.

I'm just reacting to the image of him being hit in the neck and not the helmet - it really looked like a serious blow.

Looks like he's out LBW now.

Probably the best thing for him to get out quickly, really - he didn't look very secure out there. Get some treatment on the arm and neck, get some rest, make sure everything is ok and hes ready for the Third Test. I doubt he will come out to field.

Yeah, having said they haven’t made Smith look uncomfortable that spell of short bowling from Archer clearly caused him some difficulties and he didn’t look settled when he came back out.

I expect this match is heading towards a draw but I think getting Smith out before he reached the 140s will be a real boost for England’s morale.

Yes, a draw most likely but England will feel a bit better than Australia. They will have introduced some doubt into Smith's batting and Archer will have gained a lot of confidence from his performance here. Not to mention the fact they will have escaped from the usual home defeat at Lords.

England will really want Roy to fire here. A quick 50 would assuage @Paxter's fears!

They are the only side who can lose this match now (there not being enough time to set a target and bowl Australia out) but Australia need to restrict the scoring and take wickets in bunches in order to have a chance.

That might be the end for Denly. A little bit of composure there and the threat of England losing would have been almost over.

That England have sent the left handed Stokes out there to face Lyon ahead of Buttler isn’t a great sign of confidence in Buttler’s batting either.

ETA: Shit. I think England are done here.

As a bit of an aside, the quality of batting in this series (except Smith) has been fairly abject. I know the bowling on show is great and the bowlers’ dominance has made for interesting viewing, but the application from both batting units has been poor.

Archived