Cricket 36: Ashes to Ashes, Warner to Dust...

Jeor

It's an interesting quandary because if anything, cricket has been going in the opposite direction as far as subs are concerned - they eliminated runners from international cricket, for instance (Arjuna Ranatunga would never have survived!).

As @Paxter says it is hard to know where to draw the line (broken bones could be other possible playing subs). I guess you could say concussions are the ones that are "life-threatening" but even that's a bit wishy-washy.

Just now, The Winged Shadow said:

I wonder if Wade and Warner will open and try to make a game of it

Nah. Too risky - and I don't think Root is going to give any declaration that has a chance of winning. They were talking about how he got burned by declaring when the Windies ended up chasing it down so he'll probably be quite conservative.

2 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Nah. Too risky - and I don't think Root is going to give any declaration that has a chance of winning. They were talking about how he got burned by declaring when the Windies ended up chasing it down so he'll probably be quite conservative.

The only thing I have less confidence in than England’s batting is...Australia’s batting without Smith.

Declare!

Yeah, they missed quite a few wickets. And they still haven't worked out how to use DRS correctly.

Root should have declared once Stokes got his century. Now they're just really batting on for no reason. Australia's not going to get 250 in 1.5 sessions.

Yeah I don’t think Root will wait too long now. Australia will bat to survive.

And there it is!

Can I just say: fuck yeah test cricket. Even with two days washed out, this has been a great match.

In retrospect this has been quite a poor game from Australia, and I think they'll be happier with a draw.

There have been lots of dropped chances and the fielding has been poor. The batting failed to fire again (apart from Smith in the first innings) and in this second innings, the bowling wasn't able to finish it off. If the game was a timeless Test, England would have set a massive target and won the game.

I think Warner's the type who will try and hit his way into form. In some respects this is actually a good opportunity for him - relatively low risk (if he gets  out, it probably still won't affect the overall result) and good batting conditions.

Archer really has burst onto the Test scene with this match. He's going to be a real handful for the rest of the series.

Imagine if England had managed to field a pace attack of Anderson, Broad, Archer and Woakes - that would have skittled Australia's brittle lineup many times over.

Archived