Cricket 36: Ashes to Ashes, Warner to Dust...

Jeor

29 minutes ago, Philokles said:

Denly failed? He’s third top scorer in the match. :P

Haha fair call. At this stage I’m just waiting for him to stuff up so they can fix their top order.

Really, this is carnage. England came back in the Ireland match from a similar situation but I think Australia is a lot more ruthless.

3 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

How? Like new players? or change the order? Everyone is playing rubbish at the moment! He has been one of the brighter spots.....

I think just the logical things: drop Denly, put Roy into the middle order, pick a new opener with county form or a new number four.

How exactly is Denly a bright spot! 

7 minutes ago, Paxter said:

I think just the logical things: drop Denly, put Roy into the middle order, pick a new opener with county form or a new number four.

How exactly is Denly a bright spot! 

Denly is an opener isn't he? Just put him up the order. I am assuming he is in the team based on his County form! (not sure why else he'd be in....)

Him and Burns can soak up the new ball deliveries. Let Roy/Root/Stokes etc come in after with slightly older ball.

He is a bright spot in that he plays a lot of balls. Gets a start most innings. Better that most of the other batters around him. Although I admit the standard is pretty fucking low at this moment...

5 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Denly is an opener isn't he? Just put him up the order. I am assuming he is in the team based on his County form! (not sure why else he'd be in....)

Him and Burns can soak up the new ball deliveries. Let Roy/Root/Stokes etc come in after with slightly older ball.

He is a bright spot in that he plays a lot of balls. Gets a start most innings. Better that most of the other batters around him. Although I admit the standard is pretty fucking low at this moment...

I’ve never seen a more vigorous defence of a guy averaging 20. Mitch Starc averages 20 FFS!

But yes I’d rather he open than bat 4. What a disgraceful batting performance that was.

Bowled out for 67, that is an abject performance by England's batting lineup. They'd just bowled Australia out for 179 on a rainy day, the sun is shining on a second-day pitch with all 10 wickets intact, I expected them to get at least a 100 run lead (not a 100 run deficit!).

Since my man Marnus scored a couple of half centuries, I was expecting @Paxter's favourite Denly to pull this out of the fire but it was not to be...

Australia will really want to capitalise on this, though. The rest of this day will be key to whether they can secure these Ashes. If they go to the end of the day 5 or 6 down, England will still think they have a chance. Very impressive considering everyone (me included) thought they were right up against it without Smith.

4 minutes ago, Paxter said:

I’ve never seen a more vigorous defence of a guy averaging 20. Mitch Starc averages 20 FFS!

But yes I’d rather he open than bat 4. What a disgraceful batting performance that was.

I am not judging him based on his average, but how everyone else is batting as well (most of whom are also below average). And he hasn't been a standout baddie like Head/Wade/Root/Roy/Khawaja etc.

2 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Since my man Marnus scored a couple of half centuries, I was expecting @Paxter's favourite Denly to pull this out of the fire but it was not to be...

:lmao:

8 minutes ago, desire said:

Ah just got home. I missed it all !! Was the option to take the follow on allowed ??? 

You need a minimum lead of 200 for that to be in play...hard to achieve when Australia scored 170!

Australia have to be careful here.

Warner falls straight away, they don't want to be 6/100 at stumps still trying to scratch a winning total together.

I know England just got bowled out for 67, but you'd want to set at least 300 as a target to feel confident.

Just now, Paxter said:

Lol I really don’t think they need 300.

I dunno, England bat deep so they always have to be careful of a 100 partnership coming out of the tail somewhere. It hasn't happened yet, but that doesn't mean it won't.

England only got 27 overs of rest before they had to bowl again. Plenty of time in the match still. Australia just need to be patient and wear them down, grind it out, get to the old ball.

Re England's top order woes, Joe Root is the surprising one - but not really if you look at his recent record. In his last 19 Test matches he is only averaging 31.88 (despite scoring 3 hundreds), which is woeful.

Archived