Cricket 36: Ashes to Ashes, Warner to Dust...

Jeor

In fairness I don't think Burns has done a lot wrong for his dismissal. lt's not even landed in the foot marks and has spun significantly, there's not a lot a left hander is going to be able to do about that. Ali's dismissal looks really bad and it's not great but having seen how much it's spun landing in pretty much the same spot to Burns I can see why he thought he should leave it.

Bairstow's the one I'd really question. It's a lot easier for right handers out there and he needed to hand around.

34 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

This is why it was a good decision to select Woakes. That extra batting depth could make all the difference. 

I think there's an argument for Woakes coming in above Moeen on current form. 

24 minutes ago, Raja said:

I also totally didn't know the ashes started so quickly after the wc. I wonder if I could get a ticket ( probably not)

They often sell out quickly (apart from day 5), but there might be some left. 

6 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I think there's an argument for Woakes coming in above Moeen on current form. 

They often sell out quickly (apart from day 5), but there might be some left. 

Yeah - I just haven't been to a game in ages, actually the last game I think I went to was at the MCG when I was still playing!

I don't really care which day or test match I go to, so I'll have a look!

Woakes and Broad have bailed England out. That's probably just about enough of a lead that they're in the match if they bowl well.

It was a little surprising it took so long for Australia to go to the short ball against Broad though. He's capable of playing some good shots but it's no secret that he can't handle the short ball anymore.

I knew there was always going to be a sting in the tail somewhere with England batting so deep - it just came right at the end.

Both Australian openers gone cheaply again. I think we are going to have trouble against the new ball all the time this series, England just have a way of making the ball talk. I love that Warner is out of form (as I despise him personally) but I wish the team wasn't so dependent on his performances!

3 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Still annoyed that England couldn’t muster a greater lead. Squandered an ascendant position.

All down to Smith again!

At the risk of tempting fate, Khawaja is scoring pretty freely and the deficit is set to be wiped out reasonably quickly (4 runs per over), albeit at the loss of at least two wickets. But if they can get into positive territory and finish the day with only one more wicket down, Australia will be back in it. A great Test match all round.

Hehe. That Smith guy is batting well too...

ETA: England look a bit spent. They need a good night’s rest tonight. Mo also needs to get his economy rate down, otherwise they’ll be tempted to go for Leach going forward.

8 hours ago, Paxter said:

Hehe. That Smith guy is batting well too...

ETA: England look a bit spent. They need a good night’s rest tonight. Mo also needs to get his economy rate down, otherwise they’ll be tempted to go for Leach going forward.

It doesn't work if it knows you're deliberately trying to jinx him! (having said that, maybe now I have)

England still on top with Australia effectively 3/34. But Australia will feel like they have a good chance of setting a decent total if Smith stays in and someone can hang with him. They scored at a good rate and that will worry England, unlike in the previous innings where Australia more or less had some control over the run rate, England have been leaking runs.

But it's all a new day and Smith/Head will have to start from scratch again. England can get right back in it if they pick up a couple of early wickets.

Australia will want to set at least 250 I reckon to have a decent chance, and that's still a fair way away, so England will still be feeling pretty comfortable. The England lineup bats long and the top order looks like they could be sorting themselves out, so I wouldn't put it past this England side to have a good shot of chasing down a fourth innings target. That last partnership from Broad/Woakes has probably moved that fourth innings target up in terms of what the Aussies will be happy with setting.

6 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Ali has been really poor today when England needed him to have a good game with the ball. I’m not seeing much point in sticking with him over Leach given his collapse in form with the bat as well.

It's been a helpful pitch for the spinners, too - quite a bit of turn throughout the match, Moeen really should be doing better but he's getting milked easily. Lyon looked pretty threatening at times, and when he wasn't he was at least keeping it quiet (run rate of 2.5). Lyon bowled a massive 44 overs in the first innings and England would have been hoping Ali could lock down an end and rotate the seamers from the other.

EDIT: On recent form, Leach would actually strengthen the batting lineup over Ali...

Well, based on his bowling and batting performance you'd think Moeen's place would come under threat, especially if England end up losing the Test. But if they win, you'd think they might give him another chance - always hard to change a winning team.

Speaking at the level of the series as a whole, I think it's quite important for Australia to win this match as they won't get another opportunity like this with England a bowler light with Anderson out. England's spinner is out of form, Smith has scored heavily and you don't want to waste it. Whereas I think England will feel like they got away with it if it's a draw and they'll be overjoyed if they got a win in the circumstances.

Archived