Sign in to follow this  
Daendrew

Question about Voyager's (UK) 15th Anniv Edition of A Game of Thrones

Posted (edited)

Does anyone know the story about Voyager's (UK) 15th Anniversary A Game of Thrones printing? It has a published date a year earlier than the first printing, 1995.

One is on eBay and three are on AbeBooks. Is it truly rare and valuable? How many were printed?

Here is one of the sales blurbs:

Harper Collins 1995(2010), London, 1995. 1st edition thus. 1st ed., pp.(viii), 695, incl appendix, b&w double page map, bound-in additional introduction page by Jane Johnson, orig (purple) cloth bds., upper & lower spine bumped in sl. chipped, unclipped (15th anniversary Voyage) d.j. illus by Larry Rostant, now protected and in near fine condition This rare edition of 'Game of Thrones' contains the original text block and copyright page (dated 1995) of the true first edition intended for release in 1995 but never issued. The book was first released in the U.S. by Bantam in 1996 with a UK edition issued the same year. In 2010 Jane Johnson of HarperCollins London released this true first edition (1995) to commemorate the 15th anniversary with a new d.j.

The eBay listing is the only one with a photo of the copyright page and it lists (C) Robin Hobb instead of George R r Martin. That's odd. I messaged the seller and they will double check its the right page tomorrow. The ISBN checks out. If that is a production typo, would it lessen or increase the value of the book?

Edited by Daendrew

It was the 15th anniversary of Harper Voyager not "A Game of Thrones".  They released other books with the purple coloured boards around the same time.  https://voyageronline.wordpress.com/2010/08/30/hip-hip-hooray-–-hardbacks-for-voyager’s-birthday/   I remember a video that was on the Harper Voyager site at one point.  I believe there were some other or different books in the video as well.   

The copyright statement of this version does have Robin Hobb and 1995 as the copyright date, but it's just a production typo. 1995 is the year that the Robin Hobb book in this group of 15th Anniversary books was originally printed (copy/paste error or oversight).  I think that it being the 'Original' copyright page, is a bit off the mark for that reason. The UK Voyager Classics version of Fahrenheit 451 (printed in 2013) copyright page has copyright statement with GRRM's name on it, and there is another book in the Voyager Classics series that also has the wrong copyright statement. I think these are quite common errors and don't add any value.

The 15th Anniversary books aren't as common on ebay for sure, but I know a few people who have one.   I did spend some time looking for all of them as I did want a full set, but never found them. I have seen only 1 other 15th Anniversary book on ebay - the Feist one.

1 hour ago, nyles33 said:

It was the 15th anniversary of Harper Voyager not "A Game of Thrones".  They released other books with the purple coloured boards around the same time.  https://voyageronline.wordpress.com/2010/08/30/hip-hip-hooray-–-hardbacks-for-voyager’s-birthday/   I remember a video that was on the Harper Voyager site at one point.  I believe there were some other or different books in the video as well.   

The copyright statement of this version does have Robin Hobb and 1995 as the copyright date, but it's just a production typo. 1995 is the year that the Robin Hobb book in this group of 15th Anniversary books was originally printed (copy/paste error or oversight).  I think that it being the 'Original' copyright page, is a bit off the mark for that reason. The UK Voyager Classics version of Fahrenheit 451 (printed in 2013) copyright page has copyright statement with GRRM's name on it, and there is another book in the Voyager Classics series that also has the wrong copyright statement. I think these are quite common errors and don't add any value.

The 15th Anniversary books aren't as common on ebay for sure, but I know a few people who have one.   I did spend some time looking for all of them as I did want a full set, but never found them. I have seen only 1 other 15th Anniversary book on ebay - the Feist one.

Thanks. That clears it up. I found someone selling two of them for a reasonable price on Amazon UK and bought them.

Posted (edited)

I only collected the 2011 white reprint versions of the UK books. They were released with A Dance with Dragons to match that cover. That edition is very scarce. Only one small printing of AGOT.

https://postimg.cc/8FGmxXPp

Edited by becca69