StoneColdJorahMormont

If the books are ever completed would you love a movie ?

Think Lord of the Rings but in reverse.... we got the show first and when/If GRRM completes the books would a movie most likely 3 or 4 be something you would like if done right ?

Surely with the popularity of the show... studios would be climbing over each other for it.

I wonder ... will they want to be in the shadow of GOT? Granted, GOT didn't turn out in the most satisfactory way.

As to whether I'd like to see it: sure, why not -- provided it has decent writers.

If the books are ever completed, I'm sure there will be a movie (maybe in 3-4 parts, like LOTR), for a mere reason of market law. Look at LOTR: after three pretty good movies, they overstretched shamelessly the scenario of The Hobbit to make three pretty dull movies, and they are about to create a serie about LOTR. Thankfully the Tolkien-and-son's masterpiece, The Silmarillon, is inadaptable in movie...

So I quite agree with @Count Balerion: why not? But writters will walk on a thin line: on one hand, they will seek to avoid the same mistakes of GOT (characters overlooked, sloppy ending) and to top its qualities (amazing actors, really good dialogues). They will somehow have to get rid of the GOT shadow and the comparisons people will make. On the other hand, ASOIAF seems even more difficult to adapt in 3-4 movies than LOTR. Writters will have to cut a lot of stuff (including characters -remember Tom Bombadil). I'm not sure that these movies will bring us additional entertainment after the books and the serie, but they will bring a lot of discussions and rants among fans, for sure!

On 7/25/2019 at 4:45 AM, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

we got the show first and when/If GRRM completes the books would a movie most likely 3 or 4 be something you would like if done right ?

The seasons 1-4 had movie quality with regards to locations, requisite, actors, writing. They were brilliant seasons and I don't think anyone will try to compete with that.

The main issue, however, is the identity of the actors. With different actors people would not accept the story at the moment. Maybe in 12 oder 20 years, but certainly not inside the next 5-8 years.

A movie just about the last two books would start in nowhere. That does not make sense. And condensing the stuff of 8 seasons into 4 movies won't work without even more reduction of story lines. 

Most people argue they should have done 9 seasons with 12 episode each. I would have liked that.

Nah.

A Song of Ice and Fire is too big, too complicated, too thematic of a story to do in movies. Themes don't usually translate well to movies. And you'd need a minimum of 6 movies to do the story any justice...and that's quite a hefty bill. Most film series are limited to three films.

I feel like a TV show format is the best way to go.

Another reason why I wouldn't want this is because it's way too soon. In another 15-20 years? That's more like it! In the next 5 years? Nope. Too soon.

A cartoon TV series? Not only would that be cool and different, it'd also be more feasible. And it's much more likely to get an animated series based on ASOIAF in the next five years than a live-action film series.