If the books are ever completed would you love a movie ?

If the books are ever completed, I'm sure there will be a movie (maybe in 3-4 parts, like LOTR), for a mere reason of market law. Look at LOTR: after three pretty good movies, they overstretched shamelessly the scenario of The Hobbit to make three pretty dull movies, and they are about to create a serie about LOTR. Thankfully the Tolkien-and-son's masterpiece, The Silmarillon, is inadaptable in movie...

So I quite agree with @Count Balerion: why not? But writters will walk on a thin line: on one hand, they will seek to avoid the same mistakes of GOT (characters overlooked, sloppy ending) and to top its qualities (amazing actors, really good dialogues). They will somehow have to get rid of the GOT shadow and the comparisons people will make. On the other hand, ASOIAF seems even more difficult to adapt in 3-4 movies than LOTR. Writters will have to cut a lot of stuff (including characters -remember Tom Bombadil). I'm not sure that these movies will bring us additional entertainment after the books and the serie, but they will bring a lot of discussions and rants among fans, for sure!

On 7/25/2019 at 4:45 AM, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

we got the show first and when/If GRRM completes the books would a movie most likely 3 or 4 be something you would like if done right ?

The seasons 1-4 had movie quality with regards to locations, requisite, actors, writing. They were brilliant seasons and I don't think anyone will try to compete with that.

The main issue, however, is the identity of the actors. With different actors people would not accept the story at the moment. Maybe in 12 oder 20 years, but certainly not inside the next 5-8 years.

A movie just about the last two books would start in nowhere. That does not make sense. And condensing the stuff of 8 seasons into 4 movies won't work without even more reduction of story lines. 

Most people argue they should have done 9 seasons with 12 episode each. I would have liked that.

Nah.

A Song of Ice and Fire is too big, too complicated, too thematic of a story to do in movies. Themes don't usually translate well to movies. And you'd need a minimum of 6 movies to do the story any justice...and that's quite a hefty bill. Most film series are limited to three films.

I feel like a TV show format is the best way to go.

Another reason why I wouldn't want this is because it's way too soon. In another 15-20 years? That's more like it! In the next 5 years? Nope. Too soon.

A cartoon TV series? Not only would that be cool and different, it'd also be more feasible. And it's much more likely to get an animated series based on ASOIAF in the next five years than a live-action film series.

• 3 weeks later...

Most of these characters I could never imagine being played by anyone else, and SOME of the events I couldn’t imagine being adapted any better than the show did.  The Red Wedding for example, I think was handled well, the birth of the dragons was good, Ned’s execution was good, the battle of Blackwater was great, Dany taking Slaver’s Bay was great, etc.  Season four and onward there’s a lot of room for improvement when it comes to bringing some of the bigger “oh shit” moments from the last third of A Storm if Swords to life.  Tywin’s death without the Tysha reveal beforehand just felt wrong, Oberyn vs the Mountain could have been better, Lysa’s death could have been better, Dany destroying King’s Landing could have made sense, etc.  

Doing a different adaptation of the same books would be almost completely pointless.  Now a movie spinoff following one of the many plot threads the show’s ending didn’t tie up?  Sure.  

On 7/25/2019 at 5:45 AM, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

Think Lord of the Rings but in reverse.... we got the show first and when/If GRRM completes the books would a movie most likely 3 or 4 be something you would like if done right ?

Surely with the popularity of the show... studios would be climbing over each other for it.

If the series will ever be completed, I would be very happy to see a tv-series remake, this time by people who actually love the books and want to tell George's story, not their version of it.

A Movie is not a good medium for ASOIAF. The way the story is written doesn't allow it to expand in 3-4 or even 10 hours of movies. A series is an ideal medium for it, regardless of how it ended.

When the books end I would love to see a remake of the series but with like 80-90% of the plot this time, more money from the beginning and better directors. If this can't happen, then an animated series (for adults obv) would be great as well...

As to a future remake, a string of movies or a TV series, perhaps in my grandchildren's time,  Something like thirty years from now, that is if martin does indeed complete his asoiaf saga before he reaches 100.

Let's face a teeny tad bit of reality.  Martin sold an incomplete story.

I was not in the meetings so I don't know the deal.

In my humble opine season 1-3 was a rather decent adaptation. Things got a bit wonky after that.  Martin's book four and five bloat changed the adaptability.  There were too many cliffhangers.

Then comes the show ending which had no material to adapt because the material was not there to adapt. BUT supposedly martin gave up some information for the show to use. I dunna know.

There is no way for me to gauge the show ending until martin releases book six and seven.

Taking into consideration some of the cliffhangers at the end of DwD vs some of the stuff that transpired in the final show seasons:

Jon lives.
Stannis dies.
Rickon dies making the book manderly, davos, rickon and skagos stuff irrelevant.
Arya returns to westeros.
Brienne and Jamie live making their book journey and interaction with Stoneheart irrelevant.
Aegon, be he the fake or the real child of Rhaegar doesn't win.
Bolton's are defeated.
Dany and her horde arrive on westeros.
Euron dies making the ironborn stuff irrelevant.
The Dorne plot dies when Aegon dies.
Bran manages to get back to WF.
The Great Other brings down the Wall and is later defeated.
The Sansa and LF shyte goes bonkers in the Vale.

etc, etc ---- much and more --- my point is that until martin finishes his story I am not going to know how true the show ending is. If martin and HBO deviate to far from each other, neither is going to be celebrated and both of their reputations will be at risk. BUT in twenty years time will it matter?

As of the end of DwD, Dany's little horse size dragons, flame throwers they may be, do not pay heed to her. There are two free range angry dragons living in separate hidey holes and Drogon barely obeys.

Ahhh, that is another DwD cliffhanger that the show may have solved --- when an angry horse lord comes upon her he takes her to the crones, yada yada.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The story is too long to be a movie. Only certain events could be done justice by a movie, and still would be rushed (Conquest, Dance, Robert's Rebellion). A movie set starting at Summerhall with a Cliffhanger ending of Lyanna and Rhaegar disappearing, setting the way for a Robert's Rebellion Mini-Series. That I am in for.

Archived