How did the Starks aquire the sword ICE?

LynnS

23 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Hoares for all their wealth and power don’t/didn’t have one. I always suspected they lost it along with the island.

Where is absence of such established?

Has nothing to do with Ice, but does anyone think Dark Sister will re-emerge? I always thought it was somewhere in that cave with the white dragon and it would play a role in Bran’s gang escape from the white walkers, but I guess, as in Blackfyre’s case, “why give a horse to someone who doesn’t ride” applies to Bran as well so maybe we won’t hear of it again. 

I suspect that the original sword Ice may have been given to the Starks by the Others to seal whatever pact was forged to make the Starks the Kings of Winter. This may or may not have become the sword Dawn after the Battle for the Dawn after being taken from a fallen Star(k).

15 hours ago, hewman said:

Has nothing to do with Ice, but does anyone think Dark Sister will re-emerge? I always thought it was somewhere in that cave with the white dragon and it would play a role in Bran’s gang escape from the white walkers, but I guess, as in Blackfyre’s case, “why give a horse to someone who doesn’t ride” applies to Bran as well so maybe we won’t hear of it again. 

I wonder about the whereabouts of Dark Sister as well.  Did BR take it to the Wall? Did he leave it at the Wall?  Did he take it to the cave? It's just really hard to say what he did with it.  I think it likely that Dark Sister went with him to the Wall.  I have a hard time seeing him parting with it.  If the COTF now have it in their possession, what will they do with it?  Will Meera find it and become the Dark Sister?  We will have to wait and see.

4 hours ago, LynnS said:

I have a hard time seeing him parting with it.

Aye. I once thought it will pass from Aemon to Jon for he liked him and not because he knew Jon was a Targaryen, but for that to happen, Brynden had to know he wouldn’t need the sword were he was going otherwise, as you say, he never would have taken his eye off it. Still, a pity, we could have seen that sword take part in the end game maybe not as the Dark Sister but as the Dark Aunt :))

5 minutes ago, PrinceHenryris said:

Useless topic.

The Starks could easily afford a VS sword when they were available.  They're rich as hell.  They might not have gold or wheat but they have a lot of land where you can find other profits.

Thanks for the useless comment and the useless attitude. 

On 7/28/2019 at 2:58 AM, Corvo the Crow said:

And tell me why did the Valyrians decide to give the insignificant Mormonts a VS blade? Not just some cheese knife either but a hand and a half sword.

I love when this is pointed out, because it goes to my theory that Longclaw  is actually Blackfyre. You're right to think that there is no reason at all for the Mormonts to have a Valyrian steel sword. It also would not make sense for a person joining the Nights Watch to take the family's ancestral sword, it would stay with the heir to Bear Island.

Here are the highlights:

Longclaw and Blackfyre are the only two Valyrian steel Hand-and-a half (bastard) swords ever mentioned in any of the texts.

Longclaw appears with a "story" about the pommel being remade because of a fire.

Jorah never mentions it, even when Dany brings up getting him a Valryian steel sword some day.

Blackfyre was last seen when Bittersteel was dueling with Bloodraven, then Bittersteel retreated to the Free Cities. It has been assumed that he took it with him, however it was conspicuously absent during the Second Blackfyre Rebellion, which caused people to question why Bittersteel didnt give it to Daemon II Blackfyre, and hurt his chances of getting support.

If Bloodraven did recover it during the duel, THE smartest thing he could do is make it disappear. Remember it was basically the Blackfyre's entire claim to the Iron Throne. He couldn't leave it out there to be taken again, it had to be gone.

Bloodraven ends up at the Wall as LC of the Nights Watch, then north of the Wall yada yada yada... He traveled to the Wall with Maester Aemon in 233 AC. Aemon is obviously still at the Wall as Maester when Jon Receives Longclaw from Mormont some 70 years later.

Im just not buying this story that a guy from a small house (Mormont) has a Valyrian steel sword, the only one that looks like Blackfyre, and gives it away, to oh by the way, a secret Targaryan heir, with a fresh pommel.

Oh by the way...remember when Jon drove Longclaw through Qhorin Halfhand killing him?  The first named character to be killed by Aegon the Conqueror with Blackfyre was...you guessed it Qhorin Volmark. They are the only two characters named Qhorin in all of the texts.

I'd say GRRM was just drawing parallels, if Blackfyre weren't missing and there wasn't a direct trail to Jon Snows hands.

4 hours ago, gregg22 said:

If Bloodraven did recover it during the duel, THE smartest thing he could do is make it disappear. Remember it was basically the Blackfyre's entire claim to the Iron Throne. He couldn't leave it out there to be taken again, it had to be gone.

This sound a lot like bloodraven. But regarding the claim, Aegon IV legitimized all the bastards.  That would be forever the issue, no?

9 hours ago, Ckram said:

This sound a lot like bloodraven. But regarding the claim, Aegon IV legitimized all the bastards.  That would be forever the issue, no?

That could be a part of it, but really it was always about the sword. Even legitimized Daemon Blackfyre didn't take the Targaryen name. He was starting his own house, and naming it after the sword.

Archived