The Boys (Amazon)

AncalagonTheBlack

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Is this the sort of thing I could have on in the background? Or do you have to 'watch' it?

There's quite a few set-up/pay-off moments that land better if you're paying attention.

Question on the pivotal end scene

Spoiler

Can we assume that Madelyn's baby died? I don't see Homelander saving the baby given how much he hated Madelyn caring for the baby. Based on a comic spoiler I read above, with Butcher killing Homelander's baby, and considering Homelander's baby is now an 8-year old kid that may be tough to kill, I wonder if Madelyn's baby is the baby that dies.

On the plane thing

Spoiler

I liked how they inserted some realistic superhero physics in there. An individual like Homelander/Superman cannot simply lift the plane up and be fine. That being said, if Homelander actually gave a shit, there were ways where at least a portion of the passengers could have been saved.

@Corvinus

Spoiler

I would guess the baby is dead, but I don't know, they can kind of do what they want with it.

Madelyn Stillwell is a show character, a gender-swap of the equivalent character, so the child is also entirely their invention. And I don't think Madelyn's child matters to Butcher, as such, not the way the super-powered fetus that ripped its way out of his wife did.

I really enjoyed this show and am looking forward to season 2. There's going to be a season 2, right?

Anyway, I imagine English and NZ board members will have noticed, but I wonder if the rest of the world really picked up on Butcher kind of butchering his English generic regional accent by dropping in quite a lot of NZ-ish sounds. I got used to it after a few episodes, but either he needs more accent training, or he should just speak New Zealand and let most of the audience assume he's Australian.

13 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I really enjoyed this show and am looking forward to season 2. There's going to be a season 2, right?

Anyway, I imagine English and NZ board members will have noticed, but I wonder if the rest of the world really picked up on Butcher kind of butchering his English generic regional accent by dropping in quite a lot of NZ-ish sounds. I got used to it after a few episodes, but either he needs more accent training, or he should just speak New Zealand and let most of the audience assume he's Australian.

I personally thought it sounded more New Zealand than English but that could just be my lack of deep familiarity with New Zealand accent and how little it sounded like an English accent. I thought Anthony Starr saying "nice accent" was a nod to that.

20 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Yep. They've already been casting for it.

21 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I personally thought it sounded more New Zealand than English but that could just be my lack of deep familiarity with New Zealand accent and how little it sounded like an English accent. I thought Anthony Starr saying "nice accent" was a nod to that.

Starr would definitely be taking the piss out of Urban. It was most definitely not a NZ accent. For an approximation of the NZ accent think of the Aussie accent only softer. It's not a great basic description, but it's probably the best there is without listening to it. IIRC Cliff Curtis pretty much does a generic NZ accent in Fear the Walking Dead. I haven't watched that for ages so maybe I'm mistaken and he does a generic US accent in that show.

8 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I was really enjoying his character till someone described him as ‘that British guy’ and i fell into a deep state of shock. I was sitting there thinking ‘oh I didn’t know Aussies also used words like twat and wanker... isn’t that cute’ 

I mean how hard can it be to do a British accent. 

10 hours ago, Ran said:

Yep. They've already been casting for it.

I think Amazon are starting to greenlight second seasons earlier now (often before current season airs) as the gap between seasons can be problematic especially with new shows where a year+ wait isn't helpful. This was easier with 12-20 weeks of the show airing but quite noticeable in binge releases

15 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Wow I thought he was doing an Australian accent! And when people said "the british guy" I took it for a joke :P
This series is really enjoyable! From the trailer I though it would be mre trashy, but it was really good.
Karl Urban and Antony Starr stole the scenes they were in.

Seen all 8 episodes. I have to admit, I find this series quite strange. I agree with the aforementioned critique that there doesn't seem to be much in the way of pay-off. I would have thought that they 

Spoiler

would have succesfully taken out at least a few superheroes by the end of the season. Now it just feels like a lot of set-up for nothing. It's as if they are missing at least three episodes or so.

That being said, overall I liked it. The actors are nice, the action is good. I'd watch another season.

As for titles for the thread @AncalagonTheBlack I'm kind of at a loss. It's not as easy as back in the days with Vikings, this series takes itself a bit too serious. The best I could come up with were:

The backstreet boys
From Boyz to Men

^I know they are terrible. 

Someone just pointed out to be that Anthony Starr is homelander! Kicking myself now but I've genuinely been wondering when exactly he was going to turn up thinking he was a member of the boys. So I'll have to agree with those who said he looks very different with hair and make-up

I've never read, or even heard of, the comics but I really enjoyed this series.

Karl Urban was pretty good as Butcher, slightly odd accent aside, but I thought Anthony Starr as Homelander was fantastic. The barely contained menace in all his scenes was great.

On 7/26/2019 at 7:31 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Let's go! :) Topic title suggestions would be appreciated. ;)

52 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

As for titles for the thread @AncalagonTheBlack I'm kind of at a loss. It's not as easy as back in the days with Vikings, this series takes itself a bit too serious. The best I could come up with were:

The backstreet boys
From Boyz to Men

^I know they are terrible. 

If we want to move to allowing spoilers, I suggest "Translucent SPOILERS"

I think Karl Urban watched Snatch or maybe Lock, Stock & 2 Smocking Barrels in preparation for his role, and did something like that. His accent does seem to be a bit of a running joke throughout between Homelander saying "nice accent" and the one cop asking him what kind of accent is that. I could definitely hear a bit of his native NZ accent, so hopefully it was all on purpose. It might be that Butcher is someone who partially grew up in Australia, and partially in the UK. 

And, perhaps ironically, Anthony Starr was actually born in NZ.  Could he be giving Urban a little shit about his accent in a meta/outside-the-show sense?:P  Also, I kept thinking that Starr's "Homelander" and Fassbender's "David/Walter" from Alien: Covenant should definitely play brothers sometime;)

I really liked "The Boys" and will watch more.

Archived