The Boys (Amazon)

AncalagonTheBlack

21 minutes ago, red snow said:

That said i can't think of a scene that would pass. Starlight's conversation with her agent might count but at least one of those conversations was about her beating some men up and there were often two PR guys around in other scenes.

Starlight  has several scenes with her mother that are about her and her career and her future and not about men at all. Queen Maeve and Starlight also eventually have some conversations about their respective situations. Pretty sure Maeve and Stillwell also have a scene or two alone. 

Starlight and Stillwell have one of the better scenes in the whole show, just the two of them. Theres also a pretty important scene with Maeve and a friend of hers that isn't mentioned. 

The Bechdel test makes no attempt to say that media that passes it will be good, or that not passing it necessarily makes it bad. Just that it's a very low bar and yet most media doesn't pass it, and maybe we ought to think about why that is. It's other people who are trying to turn it into more than that. 

I finished it now. I'm really hoping this is a success for Amazon, as the majority of their tv shows are pretty trash and go nowhere. I'd say this is definitely my favourite superhero show now. 

I'm not sure I see the criticism of the last 2 episodes being bad, I think they were fine IMO. It didn't end on any sort of huge climax, but it felt like an ending that you'd expect in a show that is going to a second season. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I finished it now. I'm really hoping this is a success for Amazon, as the majority of their tv shows are pretty trash and go nowhere. I'd say this is definitely my favourite superhero show now. 

I'm not sure I see the criticism of the last 2 episodes being bad, I think they were fine IMO. It didn't end on any sort of huge climax, but it felt like an ending that you'd expect in a show that is going to a second season. 

At 8 episodes this is more a half season. I think they just wanted to get some episodes out to gauge the reaction. Season 2 is already greenlit but it means they know whether they are onto something before commissioning beyond 16 episodes. I agree with you in that this is more of a "buzz" show than the vast majority of amazon's output. It's superheroes (which are big) and it's dark so this has the potential to reach a wide audience. For me if the thought is "this is a bit like if HBO did [insert genre]" then it's usually a good sign. And HBO are probably miffed that Amazon beat them to it - but let's see how "watchmen" fares later in the year.

Homelander just gets better. The way he switches from jovial boyscout to dead inside or homicidal is really fun to watch. 

Episode 6 was interesting, especially given the #metoo events, by showing how PR companies can try to get ahead of these things rather than deal with/prevent them. 

The CGI fly that appears in various scenes is distracting. I'm guessing there's a supe who can control/communicate with insects but when I checked online it seems there's no pay-off in this season. Again, suggesting that this is more season 1 part 1 than a complete season.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

At 8 episodes this is more a half season. I think they just wanted to get some episodes out to gauge the reaction. Season 2 is already greenlit but it means they know whether they are onto something before commissioning beyond 16 episodes. I agree with you in that this is more of a "buzz" show than the vast majority of amazon's output. It's superheroes (which are big) and it's dark so this has the potential to reach a wide audience. For me if the thought is "this is a bit like if HBO did [insert genre]" then it's usually a good sign. And HBO are probably miffed that Amazon beat them to it - but let's see how "watchmen" fares later in the year.

Homelander just gets better. The way he switches from jovial boyscout to dead inside or homicidal is really fun to watch. 

Episode 6 was interesting, especially given the #metoo events, by showing how PR companies can try to get ahead of these things rather than deal with/prevent them. 

The CGI fly that appears in various scenes is distracting. I'm guessing there's a supe who can control/communicate with insects but when I checked online it seems there's no pay-off in this season. Again, suggesting that this is more season 1 part 1 than a complete season.

Haha, it’s so odd you mentioned the fly as i noticed it too. Reminded me of the flys in American Gods and i became confused wondering if one of the characters was a zombie 

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Haha, it’s so odd you mentioned the fly as i noticed it too. Reminded me of the flys in American Gods and i became confused wondering if one of the characters was a zombie 

It even had me wondering if robin was a super ghost/Zombie. 

Finished season 1. Enjoyed it quite a lot. I didn't notice any major drop in quality in the final 2 episodes. Maybe a little bit of elastic time (wasn't sure if hours or days had passed between scenes) and surprised they didn't kill

A-train when they broke his leg

Where the show finishes it seems hard to see how they can continue but there may be some interesting angle they take.

just seems hard to envisage how the boys can continue to operate when Homelander knows who they are. I guess they can go deep undercover or threaten to go public with the truth. That or Homelander is just crazy enough to let them loose? I was wondering whether homelander might suggest Butcher raises the superkid in some warped attempt at ensuring his child doesn't wind up like him.

One of my favourite scenes was with the scientist who admitted he got it totally wrong rearing a child with god-like powers instead of giving him a family. Homelander is super powerful and super screwed up.

Binged this over the last two days and really enjoyed it. It's got just about everything I wanted in it. I knew nothing of this going in so I had no preconceived notions of how the characters should act etc..

Spoiler

I'd have to think the baby is dead, I am sure Homelander brought it downstairs to ensure it would die, he hated it from the start.  I honestly didn't see the twist coming until the very end so I was happy with that.  The A train thing just affirms Starlights thoughts that Hughey is a good person.

Looking forward to another season.

Halfway through the season and I’m loving it so far. It was driving me crazy trying to figure out where I knew Homelander from, and before I could even look up what else he’s been in it dawned on me that it was from Banshee. Both him and Karl Urban are really good in this. 

I had no idea Homelander was the guy from Banshee until I looked it up after I finished. I was thinking that this is gonna make this dude a star. He was incredible throughout. There was also another brief appearance by a Deadwood actor the last episode that drove me crazy for like a half hour. Thankfully it dawned on me who it was before I checked:

Spoiler

Ellsworth

Anyways, I loved it. I expected a little more from the finale but not a big deal. I was also waiting for something to happen with the fly but too soon I guess. Exciting it already got the green light for another season.

The thing that concerns me about Starlight's Mum knowingly agreeing compound V her daughter is, how many other parents out there know (and agreed) to their kids being compound V'd? And the whole thing about unravelling of conspiracies is that the more people know about a conspiracy the faster it will be exposed. And if your kid gets some lame arsed power that can't be turned to fame and fortune, you are likely to wind up telling someone when you're drunk at a bar and feeling sorry for yourself. I also don't think it's consistent with the nature of a corporation like Vought to bring parents in on the conspiracy. Just do some clandestine vetting if parents and some genetic testing of newborns, make up some bullshit pretext for keeping the baby in the hospital for some tests and administer the compound V without the parents knowledge. Even if you tell parents that the kid is being does with a combination of Homelander's armpit sweat and Maeve's tears, the fact is their supe babies are made not born. And that getting out just destroys the entire mythos.

Starlight's Mum was obviously never going to let the cat out of the bag, but that's because she got everything she thought she wanted.

To be fair, compound V was already a rumor. People were already talking about it. It just wasnt confirmed. 

But yes, having babies in hospitals with the doctors, nurses, admin, guards and the like and not a single one spilling the beans is implausible. In the comics it was known about, just not particularly openly discussed. And it also got out into the real world the same way any chemical does, and as a result lots of people accidentally got powers. 

I’be watched through ep 4, but trying to avoid any spoilers here.  This is by far the best superhero TV series made.  (Batman animated TV series in the early 1990s is the only one I enjoyed as much).  And it’s a great antidote to Marvel fatigue. 

My wife won’t watch it though because of all the gore.

I hope they keep the pacing tight and progress to a resolution, not let it bloat into an unending conspiracy that just ping pongs back and forth with less and less plausibility.  Too many shows do that to just keep eking out another season.

5 hours ago, Kalbear said:

To be fair, compound V was already a rumor. People were already talking about it. It just wasnt confirmed. 

But yes, having babies in hospitals with the doctors, nurses, admin, guards and the like and not a single one spilling the beans is implausible. In the comics it was known about, just not particularly openly discussed. And it also got out into the real world the same way any chemical does, and as a result lots of people accidentally got powers. 

I also thought a lot of subjects were religious recruits which might help keep a lid on things. I can imagine compound v vs chosen by god to be a bit like climate change where people know there are (unplausible) alternative explanations but believe in one. 

I think the compound getting out into the public and generally creating "villains" would have worked out just as well for homelander as his super terrorist plan. Although i guess his version is more direct in getting him military status.

On 8/5/2019 at 1:35 AM, Ramsay B. said:

I had no idea Homelander was the guy from Banshee until I looked it up after I finished. I was thinking that this is gonna make this dude a star. He was incredible throughout. There was also another brief appearance by a Deadwood actor the last episode that drove me crazy for like a half hour. Thankfully it dawned on me who it was before I checked:

Reveal hidden contents

Ellsworth

It did take me a few minutes to realise that the supreme head of the evil organisation of evil was Gus from Breaking Bad.

Archived