The Boys (Amazon)

AncalagonTheBlack

Season 2 will start on September 4. Apparently only the first 3 episodes will drop at the same time, with the rest showing on a weekly basis. 

I believe there's 3 minutes of footage buried in this stream, haven't watched it.

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Season 2 will start on September 4. Apparently only the first 3 episodes will drop at the same time, with the rest showing on a weekly basis. 

I believe there's 3 minutes of footage buried in this stream, haven't watched it.

NEar the end. According to Patton Oswalt its the first 3 minutes of the season.  It's actually pretty awesome.

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I actually prefer this... kind of like the way Hulu does it... otherwise i wond up watching it in a day or two, and it's over too fast....lol

Yup, I always thought that Amazon was going to break ranks first on the bingeing thing. Will be really interested to see if they're also thinking of taking this approach for WoT and LotR.

Hulu kind of did this with The Outsider, by releasing the first two episodes together - worked on me, those episodes were a great hook. Too bad the remainder (until the very end) switched gears down to a crawl.

After seeing that trailer with Stormfront I thought to myself "that names a little of the nose" and looked up the character

Spoiler

only to find out that it's intentional, not an oversight. At least in the comics.

Not loving the queer aesthetic on the nazi character. Makes me feel baited for liking her just from the trailer grr.

On 6/27/2020 at 9:43 PM, ithanos said:

Hulu kind of did this with The Outsider, by releasing the first two episodes together - worked on me, those episodes were a great hook. Too bad the remainder (until the very end) switched gears down to a crawl.

Is this the same The Outsider from HBO? If so HBO did it the same way, two episode premiere then one per week. Everyone who watched the first two episodes was hooked, then it slowed waaaay down.

I would hope the same issues I had with the Outsider won’t apply to second season of the Boys.

I felt really railroaded into watching the Outsider. They totally tricked me. I thought I was getting a groundbreaking show that was tightly written and was going to grip me till it’s conclusion. But those first two episodes felt like they were written by someone else. The rest of the season sludged away down a drain hole.

The same thing shouldn’t apply to a second season of the Boys, I already know it’s good.

Lots of shows have released the first two episodes at the same time. That's nothing new. And you can't compare the hook a new show delivers with how the second season of an already successful show starts. I think the reason they are releasing 3 episodes at launch may have to do with the extended weekend in the US. (Labor Day that following Monday)

On 6/27/2020 at 11:36 PM, Werthead said:

Yup, I always thought that Amazon was going to break ranks first on the bingeing thing. Will be really interested to see if they're also thinking of taking this approach for WoT and LotR.

It makes sense given how they have a lot less worthwhile material than Netflix so probably better to drag out your big shows to generate heat for longer. Knowing prime's generally shitty multi-tier model they'll probably start offering a Prime Now option where for an extra £10 you can get the whole season in one go.

I'm a bit confused why comparisons are being made between the Outsider and Season 2 of the boys though. No reason to think there'd be a correlation unless the same writing/directors were involved. I do agree that the outsider probably has the largest disparity of any show from opening episodes onwards to completion. Shame there wasn't a way to wrap the show up at the end of episode 2.

26 minutes ago, red snow said:

It makes sense given how they have a lot less worthwhile material than Netflix so probably better to drag out your big shows to generate heat for longer. Knowing prime's generally shitty multi-tier model they'll probably start offering a Prime Now option where for an extra £10 you can get the whole season in one go.

They have a lot less material full stop than Netflix, but I'd say their original hit rate is much higher: for every worthwhile Netflix original, there's comfortably a dozen which are painfully mediocre, if not actually unwatchable. Amazon produces a lot less original stuff but what they do produce seems a lot stronger on average.

Netflix are only winning that battle because of their "nuke the site from orbit" of quantity over quality, which is not sustainable in the long run given their titanic losses (I'm starting to think this battle ends with Amazon buying a bankrupt Netflix ten years down the line).

Archived