The Boys (Amazon)

AncalagonTheBlack

Other things - Butcher is such a dick but I love Karl Urban so much, it results in an amazingly entertaining dick.

I also read some comic spoilers after the first season related to characters

Spoiler

I have no idea whether they're going to stick with it, but Black Noir is essentially a Homelander clone in the comic. The increased prominence that they're giving to him in the advertising suggests that whether this is the case or not we're getting increased prominence for him this season and will found out who is behind the mask.

They also know that the show of Maeve smashing through the truck from the opening scene of season 1 is a money shot, they're ending every trailer on that slow-mo and she just looks divine in it. 

On 7/6/2020 at 9:06 PM, dbunting said:

Is this the same The Outsider from HBO? If so HBO did it the same way, two episode premiere then one per week. Everyone who watched the first two episodes was hooked, then it slowed waaaay down.

Yes it is. My mistake, it was HBO, not Hulu. Got my H streams mixed up. It streams on a different service down-under. Out of curiosity, how do you North Americans pronounce Hulu? If the H silent, as I've often heard with 'Humor' then that's just uncultured :). Interestingly for The Outsider, the viewer numbers continued to build after those first two episodes. Go figure. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outsider_(miniseries)#Ratings

Back to The Boys. I was planning a re-watch of season 1 before the September release of season 2. I normally avoid any and all reaction videos but I stumbled across (or perhaps it was Google who all-knowingly suggested it) this YouTube series by GammaRay - they aggregated season 1 reactions from several reaction channels. It won't give you a deep recap of the season but the sheer fun is in the shared experience the editing creates - and the editing was so well done I watched all eight in a binge.  https://www.youtube.com/c/GammaRayTV/search?query=The+Boys

And if anyone is interested, their edits of reactions to The Mandalorian (in particular the final episode) are just as good. https://www.youtube.com/c/GammaRayTV/search?query=The+Mandalorian

With respect to the differences from the comics, I like how they've done it so far.

Spoiler

Black Noir (love how they hide a clue to his role in plain sight in his name) may still be batshit crazy. And from the new snippets he looks unfulfilled in his missions.

5 hours ago, ithanos said:

Yes it is. My mistake, it was HBO, not Hulu. Got my H streams mixed up. It streams on a different service down-under. Out of curiosity, how do you North Americans pronounce Hulu? If the H silent, as I've often heard with 'Humor' then that's just uncultured :). Interestingly for The Outsider, the viewer numbers continued to build after those first two episodes. Go figure. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outsider_(miniseries)#Ratings

Reveal hidden contents

Black Noir (love how they hide a clue to his role in plain sight in his name) may still be batshit crazy. And from the new snippets he looks unfulfilled in his missions.

I would say the numbers grew after the first episodes because word of mouth was so strong. I was talking it up to everyone I knew, and then it slowly painfully grinded to a halt.

As to Hulu... IDK, I pronounce it who-lou, but I also would never be mistaken for being cultured! 

32 minutes ago, dbunting said:

As to Hulu... IDK, I pronounce it who-lou, but I also would never be mistaken for being cultured! 

That's the correct pronunciation.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I hope they have a plan, I don't want it just to drift on endlessly.  it was far and away my favourite show last year, and the one i'm looking forward to most this year.

The comic definitely had a plan and executed it, though at the pace they're going it might be a while, and they're kind of jumping all over the place.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well that was certainly an energetic start to the season. 

Spoiler

The destruction from Stormfront when she showed her nazi colours actually managed to feel impactful. Seems that while the seven are generally quite comfortable killing, Homelander isn't used to being around someone else that enjoys it

3 hours ago, karaddin said:

Well that was certainly an energetic start to the season. 

Reveal hidden contents

The destruction from Stormfront when she showed her nazi colours actually managed to feel impactful. Seems that while the seven are generally quite comfortable killing, Homelander isn't used to being around someone else that enjoys it

The big thing about that I find hard to credit is that

Vought would let her use such an obviously Nazi name, especially when we have Ashley in episode 1 gushing about getting a disabled or ethnic hero in the Seven for inclusion reasons

Archived