The Boys (Amazon)

AncalagonTheBlack

50 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Super-secret spoilers below from stuff I read on the internet and was likely taken from the comics.  

Hide contents

Isn't Black Noir meant to be a secret clone of Homelander? I thought this was heading towards the only thing that can destroy Homelander is another Homelander or son of Homelander or some combo thereof. 

25 minutes ago, Ran said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Hence my "Huh".

Spoiler

hmm, his fight with Kimiko and getting partially charred by Naqib doesn't point to a Homelander clone, unless his powers are still growing.

On Black Noir and the comics vs the show.

Spoiler

They're making Homelander do a lot more like what Black Noir did in his stead. They're making him significantly more active in his psychosis and power, something that doesn't really happen in the comics until he's gone wayyyy too far. I don't think they'll have that reveal that Black Noir is a clone of Homelander, at least not in the same kind of way. I don't think there's a need. People are absolutely terrified of Homelander and what he can do and what he does do. In the comics he's somewhat passive and listens to the Stilwell/Edgar people pretty much nonstop, and would never do something like execute Blindspot. 

I think this is wise for a whole lot of reasons, notably Homelander in the comics is not particularly interesting for a long time whereas Homelander in the show basically carries it. 

16 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I feel that the extreme gore is another way the show is indicting what major powers unleash in war today. What is the difference between an apathetic superhero ripping people to shreds and a Predator drone doing the same, at the command of someone thousands of miles away?

Despite not caring for it, I tend to agree; also rather think this is one of the ways the show continues to meta comment on super hero comix -- that the violent acts of supes, whether heroes or villains,  tends to be more glossed over in the sense that it is so contained and clean in the drawing.  Just like in the great confrontations of action flix, not only with supes' genre, the collateral damage is never dealt with, which can include the destruction of entire cities, and often the destruction of most of my own town.  Which has always bugged me.

This was another thing I liked about Jupiter Ascending -- we were told that kind of destruction was invisibly and immediately repaired and restored. The population then never knew: before, during or after.  Until the planet is harvested anyway.

2 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

Well, A-Train was a white guy in the comic.

Yeah, I wasn't making a criticism of the comics, just saying that for what they're doing in the show I think that was a solid choice for multiple reasons.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Black Noir is played by a black actor.

I'm unsure how much that implies for the character, hopefully they stick with it. Or just never unmask him. Either way he was also removed from assaulting Annie and I'm glad for that as well.

2 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Yeah, I wasn't making a criticism of the comics, just saying that for what they're doing in the show I think that was a solid choice for multiple reasons.

I'm unsure how much that implies for the character, hopefully they stick with it. Or just never unmask him. Either way he was also removed from assaulting Annie and I'm glad for that as well.

Oh I wasn't imlpying that you did, it might not have come out exactly as I intended. And I agree that it is a good change for both A-Train and The Deep, as I can't really remember the latter doing that much in the comic book.

So after one theory I saw panned out

Spoiler

And Stormfront was indeed Liberty (worth noticing - her past persona was quite similar to Homelander, All-American and blonde and she's pivoted her aesthetic completely to the black nazi outfit, her parallel to HL needing to change with the times is even more involved than the obvious), so I'm now wondering if her first round of compound V therapy only gave her the extended lifespan and super strength. There was no sight of flight or plasma manipulation from Liberty and she seems too powerful now to languish as an unpopular B-lister back in the earlier days of supes.

ETA: Whoops forgot to actually the thought - so the idea would be that she's gone back in for another intensive round of compound V as an adult and developed additional powers. Would also help explain why more people haven't noticed her connection to Liberty if Liberty didn't have those other powers.

9 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

On the side. It was announced a few weeks ago that this would be released, as the writers liked it, but couldn't fit it in an episode.

Nice :D 

7 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Episode 4 was great, and without any gory scene.

Can't wait :D 

God, that was fucking slow. It was necessary in order to develop the plot a bit, but most of this episode was predictable.

The one thing I really liked about this episode was

Stormfront manipulating Homelander AND explaining the alt-right's (/Trump's) strategy. That was unexpected and a nice touch.

Most of it was otherwise predictable imho.
Stormfront being Liberty? Check. Bonus points for persecuting black folks? Heck, after watching Lovecraft country, I'd even seen that one coming.
Becca betraying Butcher because of her son (/Butcher's hatred for supes)? Check. It was either her or Grace anyway, but Becca made more sense at this point. Not sure what to make of Grace's "softening" in this episode though, that seemed a bit out of character somehow.
Starlight "breaking up" with Hughie? Check. Not sure they had to drag it out like that.
Someone being spotted on CCTV? Check. And may I add: finally! It has been driving me nuts for a couple of episodes just how careless Hughie has been with Annie, leaving her messages and walking in broad daylight. And that final kiss may yet come to bite them in the arse.
A-Train being pushed out? Check. Though he may stay for "diversity," as the Seven's "token" minority character now, which is a nice touch too (I guess he'll also end up turning against Vought and Homelander by the end of the season).

The two surprises were Homelander outing Maeve on TV and him indeed finding new ways to be creepy/psycho every episode. Other than that this was really fucking slow and I hope the pace picks up again next time. The quality's good, but I'm a demanding bastard. [/quote]

Question for those who have read the comics: is Homelander physically stronger than all other superheroes the way Superman is stronger than pretty much everyone else? Sometimes I'm curious about the strength and invulnerability levels between the different heroes (like Starlight vs Stormfront in terms of strength) in this universe.

I remember being surprised in S1 when Starlight took a bullet from Butcher's high powered sniper rifle.

Archived