The Boys (Amazon)

AncalagonTheBlack

4 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Question for those who have read the comics: is Homelander physically stronger than all other superheroes the way Superman is stronger than pretty much everyone else? Sometimes I'm curious about the strength and invulnerability levels between the different heroes (like Starlight vs Stormfront in terms of strength) in this universe.

I remember being surprised in S1 when Starlight took a bullet from Butcher's high powered sniper rifle.

Yes. By a large large margin. Most of the other supes have some basic extra strength, but they're not invulnerable at all (most can die if they get shot), they aren't incredibly strong and can't lift, say, a plane, etc. Only Stormfront really rivals him in the comics, and even he's not on that level. 

Homelander is in a crazy power level by himself. Most other supes are pretty pathetic in the comics. Starlight, for instance, can fly and do light stuff, but she's not otherwise powered at all and she's mostly there for looks. 

It was mixed for me. Sadly, the titular Boys were boring for me this episode. The Seven were quite exciting.

I normally like Frenchie but he hasn't done much this season. I laughed at all the girlfriend interviews interspersed throughout. How is marriage going to save The Deep's image?

This episode is sort of in the middle?  Now all the pieces are in place, we know what's up with them and who they are as they are all pointed to their intersecting trajectories.  Is that right?

Gads, that Homelander -- that last sequence with him -- that seemed close to brilliant, ya?

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

So right now the show's star rating on Amazon is at about 2.7 stars, with about half of total reviews at 1 star. Why? People don't like the release schedule, and apparently can't handle it.

There are groups of people that will review bomb over the most trivial shit and it's getting worse. And this one is probably a grab bag of awful shits from all over the spectrum as it's pretty disconnected from the usual culture war fault lines.

11 hours ago, Zorral said:

This episode is sort of in the middle?  Now all the pieces are in place, we know what's up with them and who they are as they are all pointed to their intersecting trajectories.  Is that right?

Gads, that Homelander -- that last sequence with him -- that seemed close to brilliant, ya?

100%.  Although I wonder what the scene means for him in terms of his character.  And his relationship with Ryan?

19 hours ago, Gigei said:

I laughed at all the girlfriend interviews interspersed throughout. How is marriage going to save The Deep's image?

[those interviews reminded me of Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead]

From a PR perspective, a marriage would be a bit like a beard for his misogyny. Something else to point at.

E4 was a step up imo. Show is still creepy gross, but we got to see some decent character bits.

41 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

[those interviews reminded me of Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead]

From a PR perspective, a marriage would be a bit like a beard for his misogyny. Something else to point at.

I guess it might help but only very, very slightly. To get back into the Seven will need a lot more than that.

I haven't read the comics [Ennis was really hit and miss with me] but yeah, I imagine their attempt to infiltrate Vought through the Deep's redemption won't work out so well lol

5 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

I haven't read the comics [Ennis was really hit and miss with me] but yeah, I imagine their attempt to infiltrate Vought through the Deep's redemption won't work out so well lol

The comics didn't do anything with the deep and didn't do anything with redeeming anyone. 

2 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

100%.  Although I wonder what the scene means for him in terms of his character.  And his relationship with Ryan?

What ever happened to Madelyn's baby Teddy? It was said that he was found far, far, far away from the blown up house.

Storm Front. her attitude and presentation, whenever she appears, reminds me of Elizabeth Bear!  :D

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

What ever happened to Madelyn's baby Teddy? It was said that he was found far, far, far away from the blown up house.

I was thinking about that, it seemed a bit of a cop out not to have Homelander kill the baby. He clearly viewed it as a rival. I suppose there's a possibly they're lying about the baby surviving, but surely they'd want to paint Butcher as badly as possible in the media.

On 9/13/2020 at 1:30 AM, The BlackBear said:

I was thinking about that, it seemed a bit of a cop out not to have Homelander kill the baby. He clearly viewed it as a rival. I suppose there's a possibly they're lying about the baby surviving, but surely they'd want to paint Butcher as badly as possible in the media.

I also thought it was weird that the baby survived.

I'd also put the episode as mixed. There were just a tad too many scenes (pretty much everything involving frenchie and Butcher) that failed to hold my interest. Other stuff was a tad cliche like 

Spoiler

Starlight and hughie breaking up again. I'll handwave it because I like the actors, but it is standard cliché. Luckily we got to know M.M. a bit better

The supes remain great however.

On 9/12/2020 at 8:10 AM, Nictarion said:

He’s so good. I really liked him on Banshee, but he’s on another level in this. 

Totally agree with this. Starr is to the other actors in this cast like Homelander to other Supes, on a completely different level.

Which is strange because I never really saw him as that good of an actor in Banshee. Good with the fight scenes, but aside from that not really noticeable. 

In this though, he's so good in every scene. Really menacing in his physicality. I hope this lands him a few other villain roles in high-profile movies, the man deserves it.

Total nitpick, as this might be my favorite thing this year... but for a show called "the Boys"... the best part of it is the Seven... the Boys, themselves, are --for the most part-- kind of bland... or maybe it's just because Antony Starr steals every scene he's in ... The Boys need to get into more mischief, IMO

Archived