The Boys (Amazon)

AncalagonTheBlack

Spoiler

Shockwave getting hit makes me suspect the church. I’m still a little unclear what their actual relation to Vought is though. Is there something linking them both?

While this obviously saves Vought a little it will destroy their reputation and makes problems far worse for them. 

It feels like there is an underlying story we aren’t aware of and this head ‘sploder person is protecting that information. There is an end goal at play that we aren’t seeing, which I suspect is far bigger than we have been let on to. 

My oh my, I wish I didn't have to wait another week for the last episode. That was wild.

9 hours ago, karaddin said:

This episode delivered in spades.

The

Hide contents

Mask off for Noir came a lot faster than I expected after our conversation on whether they'd recast - the answer now appears no. Also some power scaling meat here for those inclined, he manhandled Starlight but then Maeve handled him even more easily. It would make sense for her physical attributes to be significantly higher than everyone but HL (from the original bunch) given its all she's got.

I still don't think that makes SL underpowered though as she has plenty of utility beyond physical strength and could do things like take out planes and helicopters etc.

On the other front we've discussed in the last week I definitely don't think Cindy is the head popper now.

Homelander and Stormfront stealing Ryan away retained all the menace HL has on his own and then added SF on top as extra.

Spoiler

Yes, I agree. Given what we just saw it is unlikely for him to be recast. Weird, I always assumed the mask was going to reveal something, but the only thing we saw was someone with heavy scarring.

Not sure about the powerscaling though. Didn't the nuts do most of the work? I also wonder what Black Noir's superpower is. I don't think he has been shown to have any powers apart from not being phased by a stabbing or two and superstrength?

I wonder whether SL could also use her power in more subtle ways. The body is awash with many types of electricity after all. But perhaps that's Avatar's water bending influence shining through.

Also agree that I don't believe Cindy is the headpopper, although I do wonder what she has been up to. This was a great episode but given that we don't have a lot of time left, I'd like to get some resolution.

6 hours ago, karaddin said:

A bunch on Reddit were pretty solid on the idea

Hide contents

That it was someone from the Church given Shockwave got got. Whether it's the leader himself or someone else doing his bidding was less clear. There could be something to this one, he was very confident he could get A-Train and The Deep back into the 7.

Wonder if SL's escape will be a wedge between SF and HL given he just wanted to kill her.

Spoiler

I agree, that was my first instinct as well. They have to tie the two in somehow and the fact that Shockwave got popped is a pretty big indication. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that the councilor who was with Eagle to aid Deep or the guy from ER themselves are Supes 

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:
  Hide contents

Shockwave getting hit makes me suspect the church. I’m still a little unclear what their actual relation to Vought is though. Is there something linking them both?

While this obviously saves Vought a little it will destroy their reputation and makes problems far worse for them. 

It feels like there is an underlying story we aren’t aware of and this head ‘sploder person is protecting that information. There is an end goal at play that we aren’t seeing, which I suspect is far bigger than we have been let on to. 

Not that we know

Spoiler

apart from both being power hungry and obsessed with celebrities. They might still reveal connections though :)  

11 hours ago, karaddin said:

Reveal hidden contents

Mask off for Noir came a lot faster than I expected after our conversation on whether they'd recast - the answer now appears no. Also some power scaling meat here for those inclined, he manhandled Starlight but then Maeve handled him even more easily. It would make sense for her physical attributes to be significantly higher than everyone but HL (from the original bunch) given its all she's got.

I still don't think that makes SL underpowered though as she has plenty of utility beyond physical strength and could do things like take out planes and helicopters etc.

On the other front we've discussed in the last week I definitely don't think Cindy is the head popper now.

Homelander and Stormfront stealing Ryan away retained all the menace HL has on his own and then added SF on top as extra.

Spoiler

Watching again Black Noir's skin is reptilian/disfigured no? Definitely not Nathan Mitchell's natural look. 

Agree that Queen Maeve seems the second most powerful with the possible exception of Stormfront.  A clash between the two of them would be cool to watch.  

Edit: Just saw Velt made a similar observation.  It could be scarring or it could be deformation as a side effect of V.   

I would say Maeve is stronger than BN and is bulletproof. Otherwise, she would use some kind of weapons, too, just like BN does.

I have a theory that they could make BN be

Spoiler

Edgar's son. It might explain why he was crying after the compound V news broke out.

Deep checking his head in contrast to Homelander's bemused reaction was hilarious.

Speculation #57

Spoiler

The first thought is the culprit is another supe with powers that can manifest within a human head to cause it to pulp and explode. I thought only non-supes could be targeted, but Shockwave getting popped proved that wrong.  

Speculation #58

Spoiler

How does Maeve know Black Noir has a tree nut allergy? If she's keeping a dossier on members of the Seven and their weaknesses then that would pretty cool.

Speculation #59

Spoiler

I think Big Black Noir and Black Noir are two different people.

I've got to say Lamplighter was on fire this episode. And Hughie was doing so well, until he needed a helping hand.

I'll see myself out.

Dinner Break!

This has been the day from hell, though in a good way.  I may try to watch tonight to ... calm down? Is that possible, to calm down watching this?

But if this is the penultimate episode, I for one am willing for excited and happy folk to discuss w/o spoiler tags if they want, whether I, for one, haven't seen it or not.  But I am speaking only for myself.  Anyway I won't read the spoilers or this topic until I do.

I thought that

Spoiler

The scarring on Noir's neck matched the damage from the start of the season when he burned in truth. I'd assumed that at minimum he has some regeneration as well given how unphased he is by taking damage even if it's not perfect like Kimiko's. Maeve definitely does not given we know she took time to heal from the broken arm.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has more as well though and I'm kinda expecting it.

Velt - The allergic reaction did do most of the work but she looked like she was handling a child when pulling him off SL and force fed him the Almond Joy. It could be handwaved just by her being behind him but for now I'm interpreting it as reasserting the portrayal from last season. She's fucking strong.

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

Then Maeve taking the joy out of Noir’s plan was pretty nuts. :P

I see what you did there.

And of-course the tech girl back in episode 4 was eating what when Noir approached her and then presented the trash bin?

13 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:
  Hide contents

Watching again Black Noir's skin is reptilian/disfigured no? Definitely not Nathan Mitchell's natural look. 

Agree that Queen Maeve seems the second most powerful with the possible exception of Stormfront.  A clash between the two of them would be cool to watch.  

Edit: Just saw Velt made a similar observation.  It could be scarring or it could be deformation as a side effect of V.   

Spoiler

No question in my mind that SF is more powerful than Maeve imo. I think Homelander is OP followed by SF and potentially Cindy. Only then do we get to see any of the others.

The reptilian angle is quite cool to think about. He might be a crossover between Killer Croc and Batman then :) 

12 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I would say Maeve is stronger than BN and is bulletproof. Otherwise, she would use some kind of weapons, too, just like BN does.

I have a theory that they could make BN be

Hide contents

Edgar's son. It might explain why he was crying after the compound V news broke out.

Spoiler

That's a great theory! I like it as well. Would make it even more human. And perhaps it would also give Edgar more skin in the game. He was promised a supe son, but instead he got a freaky reptilian abomination. 

Do we know BN is not bulletproof? He's pretty strong as well given how he ripped a guys face off only a few episodes ago. I bet a lot of their methods and costuming are not personal choices but more down to branding choices made by Vought.

Homelander is a pretty boy and powerful, so we dress him up in the Stars & Stripes. Black Noir is disfigured/ugly/whatever and silent so we make him into a cool ninja with ninja weapons.

12 hours ago, ithanos said:

D

She just been around for a long time and as @ithanos notes, it seems to be quite common knowledge.

12 hours ago, ithanos said:

Deep checking his head in contrast to Homelander's bemused reaction was hilarious.

Speculation #59

Hide contents

I think Big Black Noir and Black Noir are two different people.

This I don't get?

10 hours ago, karaddin said:

I thought that

Hide contents

Velt - The allergic reaction did do most of the work but she looked like she was handling a child when pulling him off SL and force fed him the Almond Joy. It could be handwaved just by her being behind him but for now I'm interpreting it as reasserting the portrayal from last season. She's fucking strong.

Fair point :) 

@Veltigar we know that

Spoiler

Noir is not bullet proof. When he fought The Boys one of the shots from Hughie went straight through his hand.

The regular and big BN thing is, I assume, an extrapolation from the info on the site that his height and weight vary suggesting there's more than 1. If true then this Noir would be the one that did the op in ep1 this season - hence the scarring.

We might see an attempted repeat of the Almond Joy attack only for it to do nothing as it's the other Noir.

On 10/3/2020 at 12:53 PM, Veltigar said:

Do we know BN is not bulletproof? He's pretty strong as well given how he ripped a guys face off only a few episodes ago. I bet a lot of their methods and costuming are not personal choices but more down to branding choices made by Vought.

Spoiler

It was Kimiko who ripped a guy's face off. BN ripped someone's head off

Kimiko is the Faceripper, BN cut the head off the Islamistic Supe.

Wrt to the last episode a question: who is Shockwave everyone is talking about, I must have missed something? The Supe at the window in the courtroom? I'm not familiar with the comics.

Oh, and btw - I really like the theory about the Edgar-BN connection and the more I think about it, the more it makes sense . It is very elegant.

Shockwave is the speedster in the orange suit who had the race with A-Train in season 1 and was being set up as his replacement in the Seven (there was the scene where A-Train sees him going into the elevator just before Homelander tells A-Train he’s fired)

What I don't think has been noted, is that I really appreciate that everyone in Butcher's family come from the same mythical part of England where everyone speaks a broken mix of aussie and Mary Poppins accent. It wasn't just an accident that he speaks that way, its hereditary! 

I dunno if that was a purposeful injoke the producers shoved in there or not.

5 hours ago, Maltaran said:

Shockwave is the speedster in the orange suit who had the race with A-Train in season 1 and was being set up as his replacement in the Seven (there was the scene where A-Train sees him going into the elevator just before Homelander tells A-Train he’s fired)

Thanks! So it was the guy near the window in the courtroom. Yeah, that makes the Adanas comments to Deep and A-Train very suspicious.

Archived