The Boys (Amazon)

AncalagonTheBlack

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

What I don't think has been noted, is that I really appreciate that everyone in Butcher's family come from the same mythical part of England where everyone speaks a broken mix of aussie and Mary Poppins accent. It wasn't just an accident that he speaks that way, its hereditary! 

I dunno if that was a purposeful injoke the producers shoved in there or not.

Hah, I was just checking the thread to see if anyone posted this. :P it definitely seems to me that they’re making fun of the Butcher/Urban accent now. Everyone who speaks English English has a mental accent, including that guy Butcher’s mate that he kills from the second episode. Plus having Butchers dad played by an Australian too, it’s surely got to be deliberate.

It was unpleasant to think

Spoiler

that Becca was indeed overdoing the protective mother.  But the other choice here is losing custody of her son to the worst people in the world.  That's a dilemma's horn all right.  This isn't going to end well for Ryan, one thinks.  How could it?

15 hours ago, john said:

Hah, I was just checking the thread to see if anyone posted this. :P it definitely seems to me that they’re making fun of the Butcher/Urban accent now. Everyone who speaks English English has a mental accent, including that guy Butcher’s mate that he kills from the second episode. Plus having Butchers dad played by an Australian too, it’s surely got to be deliberate.

Well at first when I heard his auntie's accent I was like ..'ok maybe they just have the worst dialect coach on the planet?'.. but it slowly dawned on me that it was definitely on purpose. It is quite hard I would guess to do a British accent that badly, but so consistently between different actors. 

I feel like his accent was devised as a way of making 'You cuuunt' sound as good as possible. And it works.

12 hours ago, Zorral said:

It was unpleasant to think

Hide contents

that Becca was indeed overdoing the protective mother.  But the other choice here is losing custody of her son to the worst people in the world.  That's a dilemma's horn all right.  This isn't going to end well for Ryan, one thinks.  How could it?

Spoiler

I think Ryan is more than capable of finding his way back to his mother if really wants to.  You don't introduce a kid like that and not see him grow into his powers.  

So thinking about how this is going to play out some speculations below: 

• Congress and the Federal government is going to go apeshit about the Supe assassination and against Vought.  This is a massive PR problem on Vought's hands. 
  • I think we will get the Stan Edgar - BN father-son reveal. 
  • Butcher is going to reach out to Vought to make an alliance against Homelander/Stormfront.  Vought will need a distraction and a scapegoat from all the scrutiny. 
  • The real assassin is affiliated with the Church as many have speculated.  A-Train will get back in, Deep will be stuck outside, wondering.  Maybe the story here is Deep getting disillusioned with the Church's promises.  Also A-Train will realize that the Church owns him now and they want to use him as a spy within Vought and the Seven. 
  •  Hughie and Starlight leave the Boys.  MM and Frenchie stay. 
  • Homelander betrays Stormfront's Nazi origins (he has been informing Stan Edgar all along) and promises to be a figure of love not hate.  
  • Maeve blackmails Homelander into silence and stopping to hassle her, but never releases the footage which is then stolen and destroyed. 

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I should have had more belief in myself. I guessed right the first time after last week's episode.

Great finale, more to say later.

You did indeed, well called. I wonder rewatching that scene if there's more indication.

So this is from the comic and might have implications going down the line. Don't read unless you want to be potentially spoiled for future seasons.

Spoiler

Victor Neumann was an incredibly stupid political thing that was Vought's toy. He was called "Vic the Veep" and there was a whole thing on Vought trying to get him to be POTUS so they could finally authorize use of supes as soldiers. 

I wonder if the way they're setting up the show, Victoria is not only a supe that's protecting Vought but is being set up as their actual manchurian candidate? And she's basically just building up all the drama against Vought to give them a target to play against, playing both sides to get themselves into the conversation. 

This does mean, sadly, we'll not get the scene where Vic asks his secret service detail to put on his condom while repeating 'help mah dicky hat' but this is probably better.

I know we have plenty of reason to dislike A-Train but Jessie Usher is great in the role and I'm sufficiently sympathetic to the racism and shit he's had to put up with to still like him anyway.

That bit with him

Spoiler

Jumping into their car and freaking them out made me lose it, I had to replay it immediately lol

And Deep is just this himbo made to get dunked on time and time again

5 hours ago, karaddin said:

You did indeed, well called. I wonder rewatching that scene if there's more indication.

What threw me off last week was

Spoiler

that there were heads popping even after she left the room, though for the most part heads did pop in her line of vision. But my guess is she can hold a mental image of someone and concentrate on that person longer, or she can create some pressure in their heads that has different rate of growing, so she could have selected her targets ahead of time.

But now I'm wondering about her motivations, since we know practically nothing about her. Why did she kill Raynor? I'm guessing she secretly works for Edgar.

28 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

What threw me off last week was

Reveal hidden contents

that there were heads popping even after she left the room, though for the most part heads did pop in her line of vision. But my guess is she can hold a mental image of someone and concentrate on that person longer, or she can create some pressure in their heads that has different rate of growing, so she could have selected her targets ahead of time.

But now I'm wondering about her motivations, since we know practically nothing about her. Why did she kill Raynor? I'm guessing she secretly works for Edgar.

I think her motivation is political power, using her supe powers to eliminate any threats along the way.  She's going for control. 

So based on the finale what are Maeve's powers?

Spoiler

Because she did a bit of deus ex popping up in this episode, twice. And really her showing up to save Starlight from BN last episode was also a bit out of nowhere. She can't fly, but can she run fast and do great leaps like Wonder Woman?

I can explain how she knew where to go, since we've seen her look at Stormfront after the news broke out, and she could go to the techs and get them to track SF for her. I loved when she called SF a 'kraut'

21 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

So based on the finale what are Maeve's powers?

Hide contents

Because she did a bit of deus ex popping up in this episode, twice. And really her showing up to save Starlight from BN last episode was also a bit out of nowhere. She can't fly, but can she run fast and do great leaps like Wonder Woman?

I can explain how she knew where to go, since we've seen her look at Stormfront after the news broke out, and she could go to the techs and get them to track SF for her. I loved when she called SF a 'kraut'

Yea, I agree,

she does sort of just come out of nowhere twice.

Yeah I'm curious about the official explanation for

Spoiler

How she got there so fast, but I'm assuming it has to be running/jumping. We saw back in S1E1 that she's able to outrun a speeding vehicle and it looked pretty effortless along with being able to jump multiple floors of a building and move fast enough to be able to run along the side of the building for several steps before leaping off. 

But Stormfront is a hell of a lot faster than a car and she was less than 5 mins behind SF after a trip that's I think I saw is 5 hours in a car? So that's some seriously fast running/jumping.

That said I guess she gets to the apartment building with the shooter in s1 at the same time as HL - I don't remember if he flew her there that time, but he leaves her behind when he flies up the outside so maybe not. Still you'd think running that fast would put her close to speedster territory? Maybe not.

Hmm did some quick guess work

Spoiler

It's ~530km from NYC to Rochester. If we allow 15 mins for SF to fly that distance, then Maeve covers it in 20 which puts her at 26km/min or 444m/s. I'm guessing around 15 for SF because she's not at the tower for that long and they have a fair bit they get done after she leaves before she gets back - it's got to be at least 45, maybe an hour.

A-Train is over 1600km/h which is around the same speed so either SF takes a lot longer than 15m or Maeve's jumping is somehow as fast as A-Train.

Archived