The Boys (Amazon)

AncalagonTheBlack

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Loving and loathing stormfront in equal measure. 

Yup. She’s really spicing things up, and Aya Cash is great.

Loved the scene with The Deep getting shit on by everyone at the end of episode 3. Don’t really care for his arc at this point either, but I’m assuming they’re setting something big up for the future with him. Or not?

9 hours ago, karaddin said:

I find I can mostly laugh at the way the show keeps dunking on him. I think that's a tonal thing and if it changes to expecting unreserved sympathy that's not going to work for me, but with him signing up for Scientology I don't think that's changing any time soon.

Exactly XD I almost respect the dude for still standing and then the show manages to dump him in an even deeper hole 

Spoiler

Best example is Scientology revving him up to reclaim his place in the Seven and then he immediately gets that poor whale killed (which was a dick move from Butcher, but also, how the fuck did he not see that one coming) and then, if his abject failure wasn't enough, Homelander just confirm his worst fears by shitting on him for showing his gills. 

I also think it's quite cool how they put his body shame issues front and center. it's a modern problem that many people need an introduction too and I like how they do it. Furthermore, I also think the Deep is one of the more realistic characters in the sense that 

Spoiler

there is no way a real-life Aquaman would not be fucked up mentally. He's been hearing gold fishes begging for their life since he was like seven? The way we treat our waterways and the animals who dwell in it is horrific. Imagine knowing and understanding another form of life on there, only for every basic bitch out there to happily chomp on these beautiful intelligent creatures because "OMG sushi is the best"

Like, how would that not fuck people up completely?

In fact that might be one of the other reasons why I prefer the supes over the titular Boys

Spoiler

Right now, the superheroes feel psychologically much more real to me than any of the Boys. Maeve trying to protect her girlfriend, the Deep's vulnerability to cults, A-Train's worship of material wealth, Noir crying and even Homelander's raging case of psychopathy, it all feels much more real (and earned in a certain way) than the Boys.

Like, what makes Butcher tick apart from Becca? What was he before he met her? How did he end up in his line of work? Frenchie is such a ridiculous stereotype, Mother's milk is way too into his girlfriend (why?) and Hughie is also weird. More a cipher for the audience to recognize itself in than anything else. 

The tone thing helps me with it, but I do agree it's likely to have a limited shelf life. In particular the ones that were feeling too much to me were

Spoiler

One of Noir's kills in the first scene (the ripping one) and Stormfront breaking the hands of Kimiko's brother. Not sure why those two moments in particular felt more unnecessary but they did to me

I feel that the extreme gore is another way the show is indicting what major powers unleash in war today. What is the difference between an apathetic superhero ripping people to shreds and a Predator drone doing the same, at the command of someone thousands of miles away?

On 9/7/2020 at 8:22 AM, Corvinus85 said:

Your supe name shall be Pun Master.

Not Punisher? 

I think Deep continues to remain a character in whose pathos we find humor.  Before he can have a proper redemption arc he has to discover the world's messy truths rather than retreating into the Scientology mumbo-jumbo.  

If they give the Deep a redemption arc I'll be pissed. He doesn't need fuckall. He needs to be a pathetic asshat who gets shit on over and over, and then he needs to die in some spectacularly stupid way. 

18 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I feel that the extreme gore is another way the show is indicting what major powers unleash in war today. What is the difference between an apathetic superhero ripping people to shreds and a Predator drone doing the same, at the command of someone thousands of miles away?

Exactly. It is sometimes absurdly OTT, but it's also realistic as far as someone who can just destroy cars and melt metal with their eyes. These are people who would absolutely pulp regular humans like a horrifying car crash. You shouldn't sanitize this violence, and that's sort of the point. Some of it is a bit over the top like the whale bit, but the above parts? Totally reasonable to me. 

1 hour ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Not Punisher? 

I think Deep continues to remain a character in whose pathos we find humor.  Before he can have a proper redemption arc he has to discover the world's messy truths rather than retreating into the Scientology mumbo-jumbo.  

To be frank, I could lay siege to castles with that moniker.

Although I laugh Deeply at the sole marine supe, I hope he surfaces from the mire he's in. However my money's on A-Train-Wreck getting the redemption arc, and they've kind of hinted that this could be the case. Then again, he'll probably end up in a wheel chair wrestling compound V withdrawal as a bitter reminder of the short shelf life and fleeting fame that often befall high level team athletes.

By the way, I looked up Eagle the Archer's comic-book backstory and it looks like the same story they gave A-Train in the first season. Could anyone who's read the source please confirm?

I read a spoiler that in the comics. the Deep's demand for Starlight to give him a blowjob played out differently in the comics.

Spoiler

Apparently three of the Seven (Deep, Homelander, and Noir) all demanded blowjobs.

I wonder why they changed it.

24 minutes ago, Gigei said:

I read a spoiler that in the comics. the Deep's demand for Starlight to give him a blowjob played out differently in the comics.

Hide contents

Apparently three of the Seven (Deep, Homelander, and Noir) all demanded blowjobs.

I wonder why they changed it.

Spoiler

I think it's actually Homelander, Noir and A-Train. The Deep is not involved in the comic.

I like that change, I think making it

Spoiler

The Deep alone exploiting power he doesn't actually have only because she doesn't know better yet casts him as more of a pathetic loser that's also a rapist. Doing it like that actually undermines the threat of Homelander, he's also a rapist but he doesn't operate in the same way Deep does because he actually has power.

And I'm hoping for quite a different arc for Noir that has him in a much better light.

And having the one black guy on the Seven raping the Christian white girl would have been playing to some racist sentiments I don't think they wanted to touch, which is another reason for Deep over A Train

2 hours ago, GallowKnight said:
  Hide contents

I think it's actually Homelander, Noir and A-Train. The Deep is not involved in the comic.

Spoiler

Whoa, so they actually changed it entirely instead of just removing the other two.

2 hours ago, karaddin said:

Hide contents

The Deep alone exploiting power he doesn't actually have only because she doesn't know better yet casts him as more of a pathetic loser that's also a rapist. Doing it like that actually undermines the threat of Homelander, he's also a rapist but he doesn't operate in the same way Deep does because he actually has power.

And I'm hoping for quite a different arc for Noir that has him in a much better light.

And having the one black guy on the Seven raping the Christian white girl would have been playing to some racist sentiments I don't think they wanted to touch, which is another reason for Deep over A Train

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop regarding Noir.

15 hours ago, Zorral said:

So not a fan of the gore either -- but I never am, in any show.

It really amuses my wife that I'm so squeamish about fake gore but can happily clean up a dead body without blinking IRL. She is the total opposite. 

10 hours ago, karaddin said:

Hide contents

Well, A-Train was a white guy in the comic.

10 hours ago, karaddin said:

Reveal hidden contents

37 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

Well, A-Train was a white guy in the comic.

Black Noir is played by a black actor.

16 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Black Noir is played by a black actor.

Super-secret spoilers below from stuff I read on the internet and was likely taken from the comics.  

Spoiler

Isn't Black Noir meant to be a secret clone of Homelander? I thought this was heading towards the only thing that can destroy Homelander is another Homelander or son of Homelander or some combo thereof. 

Archived