The Boys (Amazon)

AncalagonTheBlack

Man, that was a great finale :D

EDIT: I forgot to sing the praise of Anthony Starr, but man that guy is magnificent. In a cast filled with strong performers, he shines every.single.time. The last time I was so intrigued by a tv character was Ragnar Lothbrök in the early seasons of Vikings.

Especially the fights where great

Spoiler

You see Marvel, this is how you put all your major female character in one action scene that says girl power :D 

I do wonder whether SF still lives. She looked on the brink of death, but then she was supposedly held at an undisclosed location... Pretty weird as well that they were able to separate Homelander from her so easily. Like, they were just publicly seen kissing and all that. Doesn't that bother anyone.

I also wonder just how powerful Ryan is. We have only seen the laser power so far, but he fucking Mustafar'd SF just like that. Would his laser eyes be more powerful than his father?

15 hours ago, karaddin said:

I know we have plenty of reason to dislike A-Train but Jessie Usher is great in the role and I'm sufficiently sympathetic to the racism and shit he's had to put up with to still like him anyway.

That bit with him

Reveal hidden contents

Jumping into their car and freaking them out made me lose it, I had to replay it immediately lol

And Deep is just this himbo made to get dunked on time and time again

:agree: I do wonder how long they'll keep this up with Deep. Like, eventually he should have his redemption right? Or would he really be this kind of Shaggy Dog story that is just there to be shat on XD

8 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

So based on the finale what are Maeve's powers?

Hide contents

Because she did a bit of deus ex popping up in this episode, twice. And really her showing up to save Starlight from BN last episode was also a bit out of nowhere. She can't fly, but can she run fast and do great leaps like Wonder Woman?

I can explain how she knew where to go, since we've seen her look at Stormfront after the news broke out, and she could go to the techs and get them to track SF for her. I loved when she called SF a 'kraut'

Probably the weakest aspect of the finale for me, with that popping up out of nowhere. That being said, the scene was so great that it only bothered me afterwards so beautiful :) 

11 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

What threw me off last week was

Hide contents

that there were heads popping even after she left the room, though for the most part heads did pop in her line of vision. But my guess is she can hold a mental image of someone and concentrate on that person longer, or she can create some pressure in their heads that has different rate of growing, so she could have selected her targets ahead of time.

But now I'm wondering about her motivations, since we know practically nothing about her. Why did she kill Raynor? I'm guessing she secretly works for Edgar.

Spoiler

There are three options:

1. She works for Edgar
2. She works for an as of yet unidentified player within the company (Frederik?)
3. She's a rogue supe just in it for herself

I'd say 1 is easily the most likely, but I'd have a preference for 3 ;)

I've read none of your comments and resisted reading any of the media critiques of this last episode of the second season.  But it's been one HELL of a week here, between crazy and hurricanes and covid, and am so looking forward to getting down with it in another hour or so, after dinner and clean up!

36 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Hide contents

There are three options:

1. She works for Edgar
2. She works for an as of yet unidentified player within the company (Frederik?)
3. She's a rogue supe just in it for herself

I'd say 1 is easily the most likely, but I'd have a preference for 3 ;)

Spoiler

Considering Edgar's talk with Butcher where he admitted to using Stormfront to stoke anger began anger generates more money, I can see him working the opposition the same way through Neuman. But when a credible threat to the money rises, heads explode.

14 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

What threw me off last week was

Hide contents

that there were heads popping even after she left the room, though for the most part heads did pop in her line of vision. But my guess is she can hold a mental image of someone and concentrate on that person longer, or she can create some pressure in their heads that has different rate of growing, so she could have selected her targets ahead of time.

But now I'm wondering about her motivations, since we know practically nothing about her. Why did she kill Raynor? I'm guessing she secretly works for Edgar.

Spoiler

Maybe she's really Black Noir?

Spoiler

I really really REALLY loved it that Storm Front got clobbered.  Really don't like white supremacists of any stripe or religion.

A-Train w/o a V dependency can be so very cool.

Read all you all's comments now.  :)

This made me so happy.  I really needed this after this week and the week to come.

Some of you might find this interesting reading:

https://www.vulture.com/article/the-boys-season-two-superhero-series-comics.html

The unrandom encounters we weird. 

Spoiler

Stormfront's on the way back too.

On another front, is

Spoiler

Kid Homelander that much more powerful than his father [perhaps only his heatvision?] or, did Homelander not really cut loose when Stormfront was all, Burn me Daddy?

On Homelander and his kid:

Spoiler

My feeling is that Homelander could be that strong if he gave even the slightest shit about anything. But he's a weak person, one of the weakest. Ryan genuinely hated Stormfront at that moment with every fiber of his being, and let loose with that power in a way more than Homelander has never had the thought or chance to do. Think of this as the superhuman strength of a woman lifting a car to save her baby type of story. 

And given what happened when Ryan did it, I doubt he'll ever do something like that again. 

So I suspect power wise they're probably about the same, and this speaks more to what Homelander's potential might be if he ever felt like he could cut loose and he actually cared about anyone else.

He's definitely displayed significant level of control over his power - slicing that plane in half in seconds scaling down to being able to heat the frozen milk without instantly melting the plastic so it is quite a range.

It seems a safe assumption he had reduced his eye lasers when cooking her tits, but we've got no indication whether he was at 20%, 50% or 90% so we can't really draw any conclusions about how easily he could actually hurt her with them. I do feel its pretty safe to conclude her could hurt her after this demonstration though, I'd thought earlier in the season that she was maybe close to matching him but no more. He's also only had those tight focused beams every time we've seen him use them, the light output of Ryan's was closer to Starlight's beams than HL's while presumably still retaining the "useful/damaging" percentage of his father (ie if Homelander and Starlight were both outputting the same amount of energy, his is say 80% useful energy and 20% light, while she's 60% light and 40% useful energy - terribly explained sorry).

So I think there's evidence he may be more powerful than his dad, and is definitely displaying more than we've seen HL display in that moment. I think Kal's theory is perfectly reasonable and just as likely though.

2 hours ago, karaddin said:

He's definitely displayed significant level of control over his power - slicing that plane in half in seconds scaling down to being able to heat the frozen milk without instantly melting the plastic so it is quite a range.

It seems a safe assumption he had reduced his eye lasers when cooking her tits, but we've got no indication whether he was at 20%, 50% or 90% so we can't really draw any conclusions about how easily he could actually hurt her with them. I do feel its pretty safe to conclude her could hurt her after this demonstration though, I'd thought earlier in the season that she was maybe close to matching him but no more. He's also only had those tight focused beams every time we've seen him use them, the light output of Ryan's was closer to Starlight's beams than HL's while presumably still retaining the "useful/damaging" percentage of his father (ie if Homelander and Starlight were both outputting the same amount of energy, his is say 80% useful energy and 20% light, while she's 60% light and 40% useful energy - terribly explained sorry).

So I think there's evidence he may be more powerful than his dad, and is definitely displaying more than we've seen HL display in that moment. I think Kal's theory is perfectly reasonable and just as likely though.

From a story perspective we are going to see a face-off between the kid and father, right? I mean that has to happen at some point. 

One thing I didn't understand.  Why on earth didn't Butcher keep the kid with him instead of handing him over to Mallory?  Isn't that what he promised Becca?

12 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

From a story perspective we are going to see a face-off between the kid and father, right? I mean that has to happen at some point. 

One thing I didn't understand.  Why on earth didn't Butcher keep the kid with him instead of handing him over to Mallory?  Isn't that what he promised Becca?

To the first - yeah, that seems a pretty logical story progression.

To the second - because he's a cunt and he thinks having a cunt like him around the kid is only going to turn him into Homelander. Or less crudely and more explained - they've made a real attempt to drawn comparisons between Homelander and Butcher particularly through the last portion of the season, and Butcher himself seemed to put that together in Ep7 in the conversation with Vogelbaum when he was essentially told by his father and Vogelbaum that they were raised by very similar men. He thinks that despite what Becca thinks, he can only be a bad influence that will ruin Ryan as he ruins everything.

I suspect him learning otherwise is another logical story progression.

Really enjoyed the finale. It felt so strange that I was tearing up a bit at the scene with Homelander and his son, had to really slap myself thinking ‘wouldn’t it be nice if those two ended up together’

But the season wrapped itself up nicely and felt like a good place to stop, while still opening the door for another season. 

4 hours ago, karaddin said:

To the first - yeah, that seems a pretty logical story progression.

To the second - because he's a cunt and he thinks having a cunt like him around the kid is only going to turn him into Homelander. Or less crudely and more explained - they've made a real attempt to drawn comparisons between Homelander and Butcher particularly through the last portion of the season, and Butcher himself seemed to put that together in Ep7 in the conversation with Vogelbaum when he was essentially told by his father and Vogelbaum that they were raised by very similar men. He thinks that despite what Becca thinks, he can only be a bad influence that will ruin Ryan as he ruins everything.

I suspect him learning otherwise is another logical story progression.

Thoughtful answer, thank you. 

To whether this is Butcher's personal growth story, or whether an abrupt change of circs (such as Mallory's assassination) will require Ryan to become an honorary member of the Boys, well we shall see.  Plot has worked together beautifully with character in this show, IMHO.  

So what was the deal with Meave in this final.

She sort of just randomly teleported twice to save the day at the last minute. In the first case how did she even know where all the characters were? In the second case I suppose she could have just followed Butcher and the others. I know this is a minor issue, but it was something that stuck out to me.

I think we're OK to not need spoiler tags now until the next season. I was speculating on that first one - they do make a point of showing her following Stormfront when she's back at Vought tower so the "how she knew" part is somewhat addressed but I just really don't have an answer for how she followed that fast. The only way it makes sense to me is if I'm significantly underestimating how long it takes her to fly that distance. There is actually an indication its longer than I thought - she's already back at Vought tower before Butcher and Becca leave the bunker to go get Ryan, so it takes her at least as long to get back to the their bunker as it takes Butcher and Becca to drive to the cabin, get Ryan to go along with them, get back to the bunker and have the brief argument about Butcher coming with them.

Oh I just realised we actually have a timer for some of this - when the Vought goons find his phone in the cabin the call has been open for 15mins and 16 seconds. I guess he starts the call when they're at the cabin so that does actually put the total time probably between 20 and 30. That's still faster than we have any indication Maeve can move though.

I don't have an issue with the second one though, I think its reasonable Maeve took off following Stormfront and heard Butchers cries for help. If anything she's too slow finding them compared to how fast she got there lol.

2 hours ago, karaddin said:

I think we're OK to not need spoiler tags now until the next season. I was speculating on that first one - they do make a point of showing her following Stormfront when she's back at Vought tower so the "how she knew" part is somewhat addressed but I just really don't have an answer for how she followed that fast. The only way it makes sense to me is if I'm significantly underestimating how long it takes her to fly that distance. There is actually an indication its longer than I thought - she's already back at Vought tower before Butcher and Becca leave the bunker to go get Ryan, so it takes her at least as long to get back to the their bunker as it takes Butcher and Becca to drive to the cabin, get Ryan to go along with them, get back to the bunker and have the brief argument about Butcher coming with them.

Oh I just realised we actually have a timer for some of this - when the Vought goons find his phone in the cabin the call has been open for 15mins and 16 seconds. I guess he starts the call when they're at the cabin so that does actually put the total time probably between 20 and 30. That's still faster than we have any indication Maeve can move though.

I don't have an issue with the second one though, I think its reasonable Maeve took off following Stormfront and heard Butchers cries for help. If anything she's too slow finding them compared to how fast she got there lol.

I think my favorite part of the episode was that he had the number entered into his phone as The Cunts at Vought.

8 hours ago, karaddin said:

For the record, you know Maeve can't fly right; she needed Homelander to carry her in the plane episode. So how she's able to follow any hero who can fly doesn't make a whole lot of sense, IMO.

On 10/10/2020 at 2:50 AM, Zorral said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Maybe she's really Black Noir?

Reveal hidden contents

I really really REALLY loved it that Storm Front got clobbered.  Really don't like white supremacists of any stripe or religion.

A-Train w/o a V dependency can be so very cool.

Read all you all's comments now.  :)

This made me so happy.  I really needed this after this week and the week to come.

Some of you might find this interesting reading:

https://www.vulture.com/article/the-boys-season-two-superhero-series-comics.html

That's a very interesting article! 

1 hour ago, sifth said:

For the record, you know Maeve can't fly right; she needed Homelander to carry her in the plane episode. So how she's able to follow any hero who can fly doesn't make a whole lot of sense, IMO.

Yeah I do. Read the thread, I was trying to figure out if there's any chance they could have been going for a "fast jumping travel" thing, since they showed her outrunning an armoured truck and running on the sides of buildings. 

1 hour ago, sifth said:

I assumed she can do great leaps like Wonder Woman and run fairly fast. In the pilot episode, she runs on the side of a building, so she has to be able to move fast. And as far as how she followed Stormfront, she could have forced a tech to track her in real time while Maeve followed. But yes, for some reason they didn't bother to show any of this.

Archived