The Boys (Amazon)

AncalagonTheBlack

35 minutes ago, Alarich II said:

I know nothing about the comics, but I really liked the series and how it treats the themes of power and abuse, loss, grief etc. Very well done.

However, I don't get the last scene, it's so completely out of the blue. Total WTF???-moment. Can someone enlighten me?

Butcher's wife never died during child-birth and neither did the child. Anticipating the child may have similar powers to Homelander (which appears to be the case from the red eyes) Vought and the scientists decided to try and avoid the mistake they made raising Homelander (in a lab meaning he turned out a monster) by giving the child a "normal" upbringing with his mother. Homelander only discovered this when he tortured the truth out of the scientist (which happened off camera) and he then located them. I've no idea why he decided to show Butcher this other than to prove Butcher wrong. I suspect he's playing some game or trying to get Butcher on his side. It'll be interesting to see how Butcher processes this new information. What's particularly interesting is the implication Homelander possibly didn't rape his wife (although that's Homelander's word so pinch of salt). Of course, things may not be quite as they seem  especially with a shape shifter in the show. It could be his "wife" is the shifter and this is some weird mindgame. This never happened in the comics so no-one knows how this will play out.

15 hours ago, red snow said:

Hide contents

Butcher's wife never died during child-birth and neither did the child. Anticipating the child may have similar powers to Homelander (which appears to be the case from the red eyes) Vought and the scientists decided to try and avoid the mistake they made raising Homelander (in a lab meaning he turned out a monster) by giving the child a "normal" upbringing with his mother. Homelander only discovered this when he tortured the truth out of the scientist (which happened off camera) and he then located them. I've no idea why he decided to show Butcher this other than to prove Butcher wrong. I suspect he's playing some game or trying to get Butcher on his side. It'll be interesting to see how Butcher processes this new information. What's particularly interesting is the implication Homelander possibly didn't rape his wife (although that's Homelander's word so pinch of salt). Of course, things may not be quite as they seem  especially with a shape shifter in the show. It could be his "wife" is the shifter and this is some weird mindgame. This never happened in the comics so no-one knows how this will play out.

Thanks! I somehow thought that the scene showed

Spoiler

Becca and Homelander as a couple.

Your explanaition makes much more sense.

3 hours ago, Alarich II said:

Thanks! I somehow thought that the scene showed

Hide contents

Becca and Homelander as a couple.

Your explanaition makes much more sense.

You raise a good point in the sense they might be now although I'm learning more towards

she's terrified of him so playing house for safety now she has been found. But if she willingly slept with him she might be infatuated with him. I think it's more likely she was infatuated with the idea of him which she created by handling his social media presence. Hopefully the kid isn't unhinged because if he is she might be glad of having homelander around to instill discipline/control.

On 8/11/2019 at 8:11 PM, WarGalley said:

Staying out of this thread for fear of spoilers but omfg.. I just watched the part where the Marketing guys tells the story of the Ice Capades and I'm fuuuucking dying of laughter..

Funniest scene for me, hands down, was:

Spoiler

The Deep rescuing his dolphin lover and the slo-mo disaster unfolding as the Spice Girls play on the soundtrack. The semi-truck was the cherry on top of that FUBAR sundae. I still giggle uncontrollably every time I watch that scene.

Honorable mention goes to the Supe name of Black Noir. Seriously, how unoriginal, yet awesome, can you get - especially considering the fact that everyone plays it totally straight.

2 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Funniest scene for me, hands down, was:

Hide contents

The Deep rescuing his dolphin lover and the slo-mo disaster unfolding as the Spice Girls play on the soundtrack. The semi-truck was the cherry on top of that FUBAR sundae. I still giggle uncontrollably every time I watch that scene.

Honorable mention goes to the Supe name of Black Noir. Seriously, how unoriginal, yet awesome, can you get - especially considering the fact that everyone plays it totally straight.

Spoiler

I personally loved Butcher's Spice Girl speech when they're looking for the Female... next scene Frenchie tries to talk her down saying "but what if she's a spice girl?!" The cherry on top being after Butcher gases them both "she's no fucking spice girl!"

Finished, loved it.  The accent was ridiculous but it was so comically bad that I don't think it was a massive problem.  I was often watching in the background so a few things escaped me, the main one - the deep, what were his actual powers, talking to animals and swimming?  Seems utterly shit, far too weak to be part of the 7.

Also, Gus Fring has aged badly, he looks like he has been using too much blue meth.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

the main one - the deep, what were his actual powers, talking to animals and swimming?  Seems utterly shit, far too weak to be part of the 7.

He's basically Aquaman, because the Seven are the Justice League.

I’ve just started this, I’m up to episode 5 and my conclusions are:

Homelander is a colossal prick.

Starlight looks like Sookie Stackhouse

I like Frenchie he’s great and Butch has his amusing moments too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Patton Oswalt cast in season 2, role not revealed yet.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a29512794/the-boys-season-2-cast-patton-oswalt/

Not gonna lie, when I just read that I thought, "Wasn't he already in season 1?  Wait.  No...  That was Haley Joel Osmet."

• 1 month later...
On 10/18/2019 at 5:25 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

Not gonna lie, when I just read that I thought, "Wasn't he already in season 1?  Wait.  No...  That was Haley Joel Osmet."

I was thinking the same exact thing, was even gonna post like, hello, he was in S1

Massive spoilers from the comics so don't click unless you've read all of them.

Spoiler

So I know the reveal behind Black Noir and that he kills Homelander in the comics. Does the storyline end there or does it continue? I'm curious how many seasons the show will go before they get to that part and if it will keep going. Homelander is an awesome characters and I can't imagine the show without him and Butcher.

1 hour ago, WarGalley said:

Massive spoilers from the comics so don't click unless you've read all of them.

Hide contents

So I know the reveal behind Black Noir and that he kills Homelander in the comics. Does the storyline end there or does it continue? I'm curious how many seasons the show will go before they get to that part and if it will keep going. Homelander is an awesome characters and I can't imagine the show without him and Butcher.

Not entirely sure what you're asking, but...

Spoiler

The storyline continues, with Butcher using the ability to home in on compound V to create explosives that will kill every single person with V in them. He ends up killing Frenchie, Female, MM and Vas in order to do this. Hughie 'stops' him by being a dumbass, basically. Vought is meanwhile gutted heavily, but ends up rebranding. 

This only takes a few issues, so it's basically the end. 

I don't think that they're going that route with Black Noir; he's acting entirely too capable in the show, playing piano randomly and being sent out on solo missions. But I could be wrong.

Archived