Comics Phase Fourteen

Teng Ai Hui

9 hours ago, Sci-2 said:

I am ok with PoX being a dystopia since it takes place in the future. Marvel's whole thing with future times has always been a bit weird - I know the X-men comics seem to regard futures as branches somehow existing at the same time as our timeline**...and then Hickman seemed to dictate his own vision of the future in Avengers...

I am curious as to Franklin's role as well - I realize it was more editorial than anything but a friend and I were talking about how the Richards seemed to shy away from advocating for mutant rights. Here Hickman seems to bring that criticism into the narrative via Cyclop's comment. Not to mention we also have future!Franklin and his Galactus Herald possibly existing in another alternate time branch...

**When Multiple Man divided himself and went to two different futures.

Hickman will get bonus points from me if he addresses a long standing issue for me on how the general public has always been ok with super powered humans such as the Fantastic Four whose powers aren't derived from technology (eg Iron Man) yet if you are a mutant it's a problem. Surely there'd be a section of society (conspiracy theorists) that thinks the FF, Captain America, Thor, etc are all mutants and it's just a lie they got their powers from serums, cosmic rays and magic hammers.

By the same token mutants are being very hypocritical if Spider-man, Captain America and the FF aren't allowed to be part of their community simply because they weren't born with powers.

Is Krakoa itself really a mutant in terms of being homo-superior unless there's been a retcon stating the island was originally a human/homo superior - I thought it was created by nuclear testing and a hivemind of plant and animal life. Although checking the wiki for krakoa it's interesting that it originally sent Cyclops out to gather other mutants to it and use them as food sources. Maybe Hickman will include some kind of climate-change Gaia story where everything we are seeing is Krakoa's way of saving the planet, possibly by becoming the planet.

EDIT: I like the thread title of phase 14. I dread to think what phase the comics would be in. It feels like 14 would only count for 6 years with the regularity of events and renumbering of series.

Edited by red snow
replying to another comment

I didn't love PoX as much as HoX, and I think that will be remain true for the duration of both series, but it was still a fun read. I suppose not many will like PoX more than HoX just based on the simple premise that it features a largely new cast of characters. Let's see if Hickman can make us care about them in the remaining issues.

POX definitely feels like it might work better as a binge to me. It reminded me a bit of "east of west" in structure but with different eras as opposed to different factions where an issue can feel like a series of snapshots.

I can see how some are complaining about the info dumps. I think they'd work better as an appendice as the story was fragmented enough without text pages that took as long to read/digest as 6 pages of comic.

As for the opening scene was the implication Moira knew about the future? Or was time travel at play? 

I also liked the new versions of Nimrod and the whole man-machine alliance. Nimrod was thst weird mixture of super intelligent but also very child-like.

Still the most interesting X-men comics in a long time. 

Moira, if that's really her, it's either a time-traveler or someone with the capacity of seeing the future; that scene that was pointed as "the most important in X-men history" would mean all Xavier did since creating the X-men was with future knowledge. 

And if that's the case, the objective wasn't to save mutants, but humankind, since, by the time of the Ascension, it is extinct, and seemingly for a long time, except for those two that are there preserved like zoo animals.

2 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Moira, if that's really her, it's either a time-traveler or someone with the capacity of seeing the future; that scene that was pointed as "the most important in X-men history" would mean all Xavier did since creating the X-men was with future knowledge. 

And if that's the case, the objective wasn't to save mutants, but humankind, since, by the time of the Ascension, it is extinct, and seemingly for a long time, except for those two that are there preserved like zoo animals.

I think that's the case but until other marvel books confirm Hickman's changes we don't know for certain what he's told to change. For example it could be he was set on a course that lead to everything as we know it and beyond - basically what we are seeing now. Or "moira" sets him on a course that tries to have humans and mutants live in harmony and everything we are seeing now is a future that has been prevented and the two series are actually "what ifs".

It does raise the question of who Moira is. Like you say if the goal is to set Xavier on a path that results in the extinction of mutants it seems more likely to be Nimrod meddling (he can time travel).

I feel like some kind of time travel will be at play as Hickman seems to be drawing on a lot of classic x-men stories and remixing them. DOFP is definitely one to riff off.

The goal isn't to make mutants extinct, but rather make sure humans survive alongside them- hence the emphasis in peaceful co-existence, and now the gifts to mankind. It would change the story of the X-men as we know, because the ultimate goal wouldn't be preserve mutantkind: it was always going to win the war in the (very) long run, but make sure humankind doesn't get wiped out. That is, if I'm right about this, of course.

Whoah - really like the idea that Xavier's goal is to save humankind [rather than mutants].

Is the Librarian a machine intelligence? Or a mutant-of-sorts born from Nimrod's database?

One thing I was considering was the war between Ultron-Future and World-Core future touched on in Hickman's Avenger's run. And of course the conflict between Cable and Bishop is an X-men staple of conflicts between timelines.

Might we see a battle between Years 10, 100, and 1000?

Edited by Sci-2

20 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

House of X #2 is...something. Really will change how you see the story and even the X-men as a whole, specially Moira.

It was nice of bleeding cool to post pretty much the whole issue (I'm surprised Marvel lets them do this) so I've read up on the key aspects. It's a nice retcon with the potential to roll various alternate futures into Moira timelines. I do need to buy the issue so that i can have a closer look at the timelines chart.

Serious burn with AvX being dubbed "the lost decade". That's a bit on the nose. And once again has me wondering whether the X-men exist in regular marvel continuity anymore. We really need evidence of other Marvel books referencing Krakoa as the FF appearing doesn't in the X-books doesn't count. Although to be honest I'd be perfectly fine with the X-men being their own thing.

2 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

What happened during Moira’s LIFE SIX? Why is it not on that chart at the end of the issue?

I'm sure there's a very good reason we don't yet know. I still think that what we are seeing in POX is an alternate future. What if she tried the Krakoa approach in life six and it lead to the disaster we are seeing in POX? It went so wrong that she spent the next couple of lives trying something very different. But now, on life ten she's thinking attempt number 6 was the best except for that one point that went wrong? So what we are seeing in HOX is life 6 and 10 playing out together but in HOX#6 we see Moira introduce a change that splits 6 and 10 apart. POX ends up being a series showing us how life 6 played out and the wide-line Hickman relaunch is the uncharted ground of life 10. That'd be a sweet set up.

8 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

House of X #2. Wow. Just wow. I'm prone to hyperbole because I just love loving things, but this will be a definitive X-Men run. There's no doubt in my mind. The art, scope, and craft of this story is next level, only three issues in.

I wonder how long Hickman has been developing and planning this series? It feels like something he's been working on for years.

With this book and Immortal Hulk I'm starting to wonder whether I should poke my nose into more Marvel titles. The events and cost still throw me off the most but it's reassurring to know there is some quality out there too.

7 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

From what I read and heard about, only IH and Hickman's work are can't miss stuff, though there's good books here and there. The problem is that the big books usually suffer too much interference from editorial and the smaller ones get cancelled with 12 issues.

I'd toy with Aaron's work but avengers seems so convoluted and tied into events i wouldn't know where to start and what order. 

If the x-books can maintain the momentum and quality of hox/pox that'll occupy my wallet.

We're lucky immortal hulk has been left untampered. Hopefully these styles of book will become more frequent if they continue to be the ones gaining an audience rather than dwindling after each renumbering.

12 hours ago, red snow said:

With this book and Immortal Hulk I'm starting to wonder whether I should poke my nose into more Marvel titles. The events and cost still throw me off the most but it's reassurring to know there is some quality out there too.

Same. I’ve heard Silver Surfer: Black is pretty good. 

On 8/9/2019 at 6:19 AM, Red Tiger said:

Jonathan Hickman, you magnificent son of a bitch. You made me proud to be an X-Men fan again.

Same - proud and a bit confused. :-)

Though I think I get most of what is going, and it was interesting to see the Phalanx and Technarcy in his new imagining. I never dug too deeply into that stuff - it was in New Mutants I believe - but Hickman has me going back through a bunch of old X-men stories.