Comics Phase Fourteen

Teng Ai Hui

Still enjoying the X-books although i realise not much has actually happened yet it's more we are being bombarded by ideas and world building.

I'm not sure i buy the idea that Xavier and magneto have known about Moira all along. It makes the countless times they've been at odds somewhat idiotic even if the implication was that Magneto said he'd keep Xavier on point if he felt he was wavering. I'm yet to be convinced why it's taken Xavier until now to enact the krakoa plan. I feel it would make more sense if moira had revealed her memories to xavier and magneto at x1 rather than x0.

I'm intrigued at the notion of apocalypse as an ally. I guess Hickman likes the character as east of west has version(s) of him.

Cyclops had a nice badass scene.

Still enjoying the X-books although i realise not much has actually happened yet it's more we are being bombarded by ideas and world building.

I'm not sure i buy the idea that Xavier and magneto have known about Moira all along. It makes the countless times they've been at odds somewhat idiotic even if the implication was that Magneto said he'd keep Xavier on point if he felt he was wavering. I'm yet to be convinced why it's taken Xavier until now to enact the krakoa plan. I feel it would make more sense if moira had revealed her memories to xavier and magneto at x1 rather than x0.

I'm intrigued at the notion of apocalypse as an ally. I guess Hickman likes the character as east of west has version(s) of him.

Cyclops had a nice badass scene.

Actually, I feel Mags knowing makes more sense- part of the time he was mad because of his powers, and he could just be more hesitant to fully trust Moira.  Xavier less so,, particularly why he just wouldn't recruit earlier mutants that were already powered around the time the X-men started and he knew would be important, like Emma, Storm, Banshee, etc (Logan makes a little more sense if he was too wild to be around teenagers at that point).

11 hours ago, Mexal said:

My wife just finished Saga and loved it. She was looking for some recommendations on what she should read next. Any ideas?

Sticking with Brian K Vaughan, Y: The Last Man is also really good. She’d probably be into The Wicked + The Divine by Kieron Gillen since she loved Saga. It’s on the final issue too, so she will be able to read the entire story. 

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Sticking with Brian K Vaughan, Y: The Last Man is also really good. She’d probably be into The Wicked + The Divine by Kieron Gillen since she loved Saga. It’s on the final issue too, so she will be able to read the entire story. 

Thank you sir. I passed it on to her. She's excited to jump in.

On 8/21/2019 at 3:46 AM, Bastard of Boston said:

The latest PoX was the first time Hickman went fullblown HickMON and had me laying in bed, rubbing my temples. How this man can keep all these ideas straight is beyond me, because I can't. This madman found a way to connect the Kree Supreme Intelligence, Warlock's Technarchy, and the freaking Phalanx into a single concept.

Yeah it's impressive how he can weave all these threads into something resembling sense which is exactly what the X-Men comics needs.

On 8/22/2019 at 10:42 PM, Red Tiger said:

I can't believe it....Hickman made lame-ass Apocalypse cool.

The last time I thought he was cool was during the 90s cartoon and that was mostly because of his voice-acting. He went out (or did he?) like a boss!

Cartoon version was the best as he was like a force of nature there. Besides age of apocalypse he's always seemed a bit crap in the comics. I'm still a bit thrown by a character whose usuay portrayed as evil incarnate being somewhat heroic but i guess he's the kind of character who thrives in such selective stress. I'm definitely intrigued as to how he'll be handled on a team in one of the x-books coming out in November.

So it looks like i was partially correct in thinking the future elements are from a different life. I was just incorrect with thinking it was life 6 when it was actually life 9. I guess there's a chance that 1000 years ahead may also be a different timeline.

The fun thing with the series might be trying to read it in a chronological order from Moira's POV once we know which scenes belong to which lives.

On 8/21/2019 at 3:56 AM, Mexal said:

My wife just finished Saga and loved it. She was looking for some recommendations on what she should read next. Any ideas?

Fables maybe? It's got talking animals, deaths and an epic feel to it and is complete.

Other books by Saga author are also worth a look eg Y the last man and pride of Baghdad.

On 8/21/2019 at 9:06 AM, Lord of Rhinos said:

I'm planning on getting Marvel Unlimited.  Anyone have any run recommendations?

If it's there the vision series by Tom King. Immortal Hulk is good. Not sure on recent runs. Depends if you are bothered about continuity being current or not? Anything by Jonathan Hickman at marvel is worth a go (although i found it hard to navigate secret wars once it reached that stage).

There are quite a lot of strong daredevil runs. From the classic miller to Bendis and maleevs run. Mark waid had a good run a few years ago too.

Hawkeye by matt fraction is worth a read too

On 8/20/2019 at 9:56 PM, Mexal said:

If it doesn't have to be fantastical or hero related, then Terry Moore's Strangers in Paradise is amazing.

Absolutely STACKED week in comics. In spite of the groaning re: Marvel's "#1000" issue, I liked it a lot. I thought the story weaved throughout the entire issue by Ewing was really compelling -- enough to propel me through the one page stories which fell flat.

And c'mon. At the risk of being cliche, HoX #3, y'all. Yes, there's the bigness of the arc itself, but I am loving the character beats we've been getting. The Emma Frost entrance in HoX #3 was almost as good as the Magneto stuff in #1. That panel is good enough to be added to the Emma iconography, worthy of being memed from now until the end of days.

And Runaways continues to be the most slept on comic at Marvel. So damn good.

Edited by Bastard of Boston

3 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Absolutely STACKED week in comics. In spite of the groaning re: Marvel's "#1000" issue, I liked it a lot. I thought the story weaved throughout the entire issue by Ewing was really compelling -- enough to propel me through the one page stories which fell flat.

And c'mon. At the risk of being cliche, HoX #3, y'all. Yes, there's the bigness of the arc itself, but I am loving the character beats we've been getting. The Emma Frost entrance in HoX #3 was almost as good as the Magneto stuff in #1. That panel is good enough to be added to the Emma iconography, worthy of being memed from now until the end of days.

And Runaways continues to be the most slept on comic at Marvel. So damn good.

Yeah, that was great. 

Edited by Nictarion

I am starting to get back into comics after being on the wagon for a few years.  I went to the shop today and grabbed a stack of trades.

I got...

Jane Foster Thor 1 and 2 (Aaron)

Batman 1-3 (King)

Detective Comics 1-3 (Tynion)

Return of Wolverine (Soule)

Daredevil Back in Black 1-4 (Soule)

Thinking about reading some of Hickman’s other Marvel stuff since I’m liking his X-Men so much (only other thing by him I’ve read is East of West), but a lot of the trades seem to be hard to find. Even on Amazon and Instocktrades, etc. Question for those that read his Avengers/New Avengers runs, can I read the Infinity trade (that has the issues of those books that coincided with the event) without reading the first few volumes of each title? Or would I be totally lost? Have heard conflicting things...

I really wish they would make it easy and just re-print his Avengers and Fantastic Four omnibus’ but that doesn’t seem likely anytime soon.

*and no I don’t read any comics digitally. 

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Thinking about reading some of Hickman’s other Marvel stuff since I’m liking his X-Men so much (only other thing by him I’ve read is East of West), but a lot of the trades seem to be hard to find. Even on Amazon and Instocktrades, etc. Question for those that read his Avengers/New Avengers runs, can I read the Infinity trade (that has the issues of those books that coincided with the event) without reading the first few volumes of each title? Or would I be totally lost? Have heard conflicting things...

I really wish they would make it easy and just re-print his Avengers and Fantastic Four omnibus’ but that doesn’t seem likely anytime soon.

*and no I don’t read any comics digitally. 

I'd definitely read his new/avengers leading up as they are a bit like x-men in the sense they are very interlinked but with a different focus/storytelling approach. 

Let me know how you find secret wars in trade as that's where i got lost.

On 9/1/2019 at 10:18 AM, Red Tiger said:

50% that and 50% the voice and quotes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYt78FWfa5M

He had some great "apocalyptic" quotes. I love the one about him being the waves upon the eternal shores.

My current illness/medication must be affecting my memory as i was convinced I'd read hox 3 but don't recall any of it. Think i maybe forgot when i had two issues to read.

16 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

I am starting to get back into comics after being on the wagon for a few years.  I went to the shop today and grabbed a stack of trades.

I got...

Jane Foster Thor 1 and 2 (Aaron)

Batman 1-3 (King)

Detective Comics 1-3 (Tynion)

Return of Wolverine (Soule)

Daredevil Back in Black 1-4 (Soule)

Kindle unlimited (uk) is worth checking for folk looking for some oldish trades digitally. I'm catching up with wildstorm and some batbooks that way.

turns out I had just read Powers of X #3 and forgotten about House #3. Caught up now. #4 was pretty epic and hats off to Hickman and the artist for making me care about character deaths even when I know they can't be permanent. It does raise the question of whether new dawn is actually going to be the potential 11th life of Moira though as unless Krakoa can respawn mutants there's quite a few essential characters now missing.

I'm also wondering regarding the genocides why Moira didn't try and prevent them? I can only assume they were "surprises" in this incarnation only, or Scarlett Witch is essential to their plans (but that doesn't really justify genosha being exterminated).