Comics Phase Fourteen

Teng Ai Hui

Yeah, while it was a good story, the fact that so many X-men died makes no sense. Magneto could have taken care of Orchis on his own and he's right there on Krakoa, Magik could have just teleported that Sentinel to the sun, hell, even Nightcrawler seemingly could have taken care of the problem himself from the looks of it once they got there.  It seems Hickman wanted to have some X-men died to push the story forward and sacrificed basic logic for it. 

9 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Yeah, while it was a good story, the fact that so many X-men died makes no sense. Magneto could have taken care of Orchis on his own and he's right there on Krakoa, Magik could have just teleported that Sentinel to the sun, hell, even Nightcrawler seemingly could have taken care of the problem himself from the looks of it once they got there.  It seems Hickman wanted to have some X-men died to push the story forward and sacrificed basic logic for it. 

It does seem a bit odd. Hickman could have easily had some kind of power dampener or something.

I read the legion dc book. It does make me wonder whether Hickman morphed his legion of superheroes plan into house of x. Or if he pitched to marvel the X-Men idea a few years bay, then altered it for DC, then brought it back to marvel.

It does appear that the legion story involves a character who is immortal and can remember all the rebooted continuities. And the legion of superheroes in the 31st century are sort of how powers of X are going.

I finished the final volume of Walking Dead. By the time I got to Rick's death I was actually pleased it was ending. The final arc was very poor in my opinion and it felt a lot like Kirkman simply threw in a pre-planned ending on a whim. There was no real resolution to the commonwealth story and I'm not sure Rick's death would have helped. Instead they just jump ahead X amount of years and we have to accept that "things just worked out". That said, I did enjoy the epilogue as it did provide a somewhat optimistic ending although it was a bit heavy handed in kissing Rick's ass (although I guess Kirkman was trying to do a bit of myth making). 

Kirkman, Adlard and Image deserve a lot of credit for sticking with the title though. I'm pretty sure Marvel or DC would have cancelled the series before it hit issue 12 and it makes for a David vs Goliath story how the series went from surviving on trade sales and positive word-of-mouth to becoming the multimedia sensation it now is (or was?). It definitely helped transform Image into a writer focused instead of artist focused publisher and gave rise to many an excellent comic in its wake. Will take a little bit of getting used to not collecting a trade every 6 months which I've been doing since the first one was released 16 years ago. It's pretty much followed me through my adult life.

I didn't mind the logic problems in the HoX suicide mission because the pathos was so great. I can forgive a lot if you can write a story which makes me feel something, and yes, Hickman took deaths that will clearly be reversed and made me care. The scene between Nightcrawler and Wolverine was especially great. Monet was peak Monet -- "Try harder, Marvel Girl."

Marvel Girl appears to be fairly nerfed in this story. I can't help but wonder if there's something to that, along with her decision to go back to her original Marvel Girl codename and costume. She's very animated series-esque, in that you feel like she'll faint in every panel.

Today's issue of PoX had some great Sinister stuff. The blind items were a ton of fun. Can't wait to see people pick those apart.

So...earlier this summer we bought a house. I have a basement/man cave/library set up of my own finally... except for shared space for Little Jax's legos...it's a 90 year old house. There are cracks and spots we're still learning about.  Last night we had about 5 hours plus of a steady downfall.  We've had rain since moving in, but nothing like this.  This morning, we discovered water got in to the basement under the stairs.  Of course, that's where I've got a number of long boxes stored. Five have taken some serious water damage, but luckily damn near everything in them are in plastic, and luckily, so far, anything that wasn't in plastic doesn't seem to be impacted as of now.  But I've got to replace these boxes...does anyone use plastic long boxes for storage?  I've seen some online, but 30 bucks plus seems steep...

Anyone?

POX was a little bit "fill in the blanks" and I guess the enjoyment of the issue depends on your preference of Mr Sinister. I'm not a huge fan of multi-sinister and super camp Sinister but that's probably because the animated series and John Paul Leon mini-series defined the character for me. The Krakoa stuff was interesting and the Phalanx material is intriguing/epic. The artwork is good throughout too.

Speaking of good artwork, Tradd Moore's work on Silver Surfer Black is mindblowing. Very Kirbyesque and some excellent panel layouts. The colorist also deserves a lot of credit. The story/narration is so-so but the plot is largely allowing Tradd to do a marvel cosmic greatest hits so can be forgiven.

6 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

So...earlier this summer we bought a house. I have a basement/man cave/library set up of my own finally... except for shared space for Little Jax's legos...it's a 90 year old house. There are cracks and spots we're still learning about.  Last night we had about 5 hours plus of a steady downfall.  We've had rain since moving in, but nothing like this.  This morning, we discovered water got in to the basement under the stairs.  Of course, that's where I've got a number of long boxes stored. Five have taken some serious water damage, but luckily damn near everything in them are in plastic, and luckily, so far, anything that wasn't in plastic doesn't seem to be impacted as of now.  But I've got to replace these boxes...does anyone use plastic long boxes for storage?  I've seen some online, but 30 bucks plus seems steep...

Anyone?

Sounds a nightmare and a very close call. Might be worth drying all the plastic and then looking for replacements. I've never used custom plastic long boxes. Maybe standard plastic boxes that are much cheaper could suffice? That or wrap cardboard long boxes in a plastic bag?

5 hours ago, red snow said:

Sounds a nightmare and a very close call. Might be worth drying all the plastic and then looking for replacements. I've never used custom plastic long boxes. Maybe standard plastic boxes that are much cheaper could suffice? That or wrap cardboard long boxes in a plastic bag?

Maybe. I'm investigating if I can at least get the boxes better elevated off the floor.  

It's weird, I don't really want to part with them, but since I've never really catalogued them all, I don't really know everything I have any more. For instance, I know I collected Green Lantern for a stretch there in the 90s, but last night I realized it was for about 80 straight issues. I don't remember that at all...

In the 90s they were only monthly so that's about 8 years worth. 

I've just moved and realised how many i have. Keep meaning to have a ruthless sort out, selling ones of worth and ditching/donating ones that aren't. The nostalgia is strong though.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

In the 90s they were only monthly so that's about 8 years worth. 

I've just moved and realised how many i have. Keep meaning to have a ruthless sort out, selling ones of worth and ditching/donating ones that aren't. The nostalgia is strong though.

You'd think I'd remember reading/collecting around 8 years of Green Lantern...but no...

Nostalgia is why I still have them...despite my wife's best efforts!  Other than a couple sold for extra travel cash when I moved from Virginia to Wisconsin...

Have a few more signed ones I want framed...just haven't had time yet.

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

You'd think I'd remember reading/collecting around 8 years of Green Lantern...but no...

Nostalgia is why I still have them...despite my wife's best efforts!  Other than a couple sold for extra travel cash when I moved from Virginia to Wisconsin...

Have a few more signed ones I want framed...just haven't had time yet.

Framed signed editions look great. I've got a frank quietly all star superman and a spidey sketch that i need to get framed. 

Next month there's a comic festival where I'm hoping to get some books signed by charlie Adlard and sean Philips.

12 minutes ago, red snow said:

Next month there's a comic festival where I'm hoping to get some books signed by charlie Adlard and sean Philips.

Aw. I've got, I think, Adlard's entire X-Files run...those are some issues I wouldn't mind seeing signatures on...

My strangest issue I'm looking to get signed some day, if possible, is a copy of DC's Arion #12 drawn by Jan Duursema. Why? Mainly because it's one of the first two comics I ever got...

9 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Aw. I've got, I think, Adlard's entire X-Files run...those are some issues I wouldn't mind seeing signatures on...

My strangest issue I'm looking to get signed some day, if possible, is a copy of DC's Arion #12 drawn by Jan Duursema. Why? Mainly because it's one of the first two comics I ever got...

You've just reminded me that a friend might have those x-files comics too. He lives in the area so might be interested if he still has them.

That's a cool signature to aim for that you mention - hopefully you will get the chance. I imagine creators would be more than happy to sign for those reasons.

House of X #5 was excellent. A really cool way of playing with resurrection in mutants and comics. Those 5 (and Xavier/cerebro) are bound to be a target from all the pro-humanity groups now and possibly be the event that concludes the series - otherwise immortal X-men seems a tricky thing to keep going forward. From the notes I'm guessing there's going to be one character who isn't the "soul" of the body that's being inhabited.

I also thought the characterisation of Apcalypse worked in that his conversion to the cause makes sense. Still, it looks like Sinister will screw it all up. At this rate I'm willing to give all of the Dawn of X books a shot. Initially I was only going to read the ones Hickman was writing but the world he's set up is interesting enough that I'm curious to see how all of the books play in his sandpit. It's been 20 years since I've read the majority of X-books. Hickman and his editor should be getting a bonus and they should be trying to keep Hickman on the X-men for as long as he's interested.

I also read "how to get your son in comics" Spider-man. It's "ok" - the fact it's out of continuity makes it easier to get into to and also means I don't need to invest in the Spdier-franchise to continue. 

5 hours ago, red snow said:

House of X #5 was excellent. A really cool way of playing with resurrection in mutants and comics. Those 5 (and Xavier/cerebro) are bound to be a target from all the pro-humanity groups now and possibly be the event that concludes the series - otherwise immortal X-men seems a tricky thing to keep going forward. From the notes I'm guessing there's going to be one character who isn't the "soul" of the body that's being inhabited.

I also thought the characterisation of Apcalypse worked in that his conversion to the cause makes sense. Still, it looks like Sinister will screw it all up. At this rate I'm willing to give all of the Dawn of X books a shot. Initially I was only going to read the ones Hickman was writing but the world he's set up is interesting enough that I'm curious to see how all of the books play in his sandpit. It's been 20 years since I've read the majority of X-books. Hickman and his editor should be getting a bonus and they should be trying to keep Hickman on the X-men for as long as he's interested.

I also read "how to get your son in comics" Spider-man. It's "ok" - the fact it's out of continuity makes it easier to get into to and also means I don't need to invest in the Spdier-franchise to continue. 

That’s a lot of books...

I’ll probably just stick with Hickman’s main X-men, and New Mutants at first. Probably wait and see on the others. 

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

That’s a lot of books...

I’ll probably just stick with Hickman’s main X-men, and New Mutants at first. Probably wait and see on the others. 

Yeah i may re-evaluate my intentions if it's going to cost a fortune. Maybe trade wait for some of them 

On 9/20/2019 at 10:32 PM, Winterfell is Burning said:

I agree that House of X #5 was excellent. Who thought Goldballs would be one of the key characters in the Marvel Universe? 

Also, from the 1st Wave, Fallen Angels looks DOA. The others could be interesting. 

I was reading some conspiracy theories that Xavier himself might be a resurrected body (he's had several through other means already) and that it may not be his mind in the body. Some suggested Moira Mactaggert?

Marauders also sounds a bit iffy. It all depends on what mission statement each book will have. I'm hoping Hickman has a planned role and function for each book so that none of them are generic but we'll have to see. 

It looks like New mutants will have a split narrative where Hickman and the other writer handles the storylines separately. So it's only a semi-Hickman book. Is the X-men title monthly or 18 issues a year? It seems like 1.5 books is less than Hickman can usually do. I guess he might be building a buffer to a bigger X-men event and hopefully getting his Image books in line.