Comics Phase Fourteen

Teng Ai Hui

I enjoyed the end of POX. It still feels a bit like it's all set in a pocket continuity from the rest of marvel but that's reassuring for me not wanting to follow too many marvel comics. It's a bit sinister the notion that xavier and co's mission is to try and stop post humans arising but i did like the idea that human/AI would vastly outcompete mutant kind. Although i can't see why mutants couldn't use the same technology to keep up especially with mr sinister already capable of such manipulations. Although maybe Hickman feels if a mutant did this they'd be post human and no longer mutant.

I read "Batman's grave" mainly for Hitch's artwork which is enjoyable as usual and i guess Warren and him are a perfect match for "wide-screen" comics. I liked Alfred pointing out that bruce could probably buy Gotham for a lot less than beating up villains

Read the first volume of "the wild storm". Great artwork and a good way of combining all Wildstorm mythology together but it's incredibly decompressed - even as a trade. It feels more like a really good script for a tv show and I'd love to see a cartoon of it in the style of Ellis' castlevania.

Definitely making good use of my amazon unlimited trial at the moment. The phone app works quite well too.

Of course she is. See the look she gives Scott right after Jean gives her the beer- I don't know how people can be so obtuse to miss that Hickman is all but spelling they're sleeping together (then again, there's probably people in denial even after seeing the living arrangements in this issue).  Plus, the Sinister Secret #5 from Powers of X.  The reason she doesn't have a room there is because she has her own palace in Krakoa, if she's on the Moon, is to sleep with Scott.

https://community.cbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=88391&stc=1&d=1571319451

Edited by Winterfell is Burning

It's weird how the polygamy thing seems to be the main focus of the issue regarding reviews and online response. For me it's a big "so what" and at best is a fun poke by Hickman at how incestuous the X-men have been over the years anyhow. I was more interested in how Magneto was being depicted as a god like saviour/protector of mutantkind and how he seems to be relishing it. Seems a bit dangerous to me further down the road as Magneto has been known to do some shitty things in the name of protecting mutants and worry what would happen if he was tipped over the edge again.

I'm also intrigued by Cyclops. I'm glad he's happy but he seems to be on the same kool aid that everyone else is currently. I noticed Polaris and Corsair both made a point of asking whether he actually means it - both with a sense of doubt. If it turns out there's something far more sinister at play with Dawn of X then I'm hoping Cyclops will be one of the characters to unravel it. Part of me feels like Krakoa is producing a spore that's creating the cult but Xavier might also be doing a bit of editing whenever he brings characters back to life. Hickman has made a point of saying he's created a story that allows all the toys to go back in the sandbox once he's done - I suspect that the "real" X-men are all in storage along with Sabretooth and that when his run is complete the "originals" will be back free of any taint/development under Hickman's run.

Also wonder what the chances are that at least one of the mutant kids rescued in this issue are sleeper agents infiltrating Krakoa?

On 10/17/2019 at 3:46 PM, Winterfell is Burning said:

Of course she is. See the look she gives Scott right after Jean gives her the beer- I don't know how people can be so obtuse to miss that Hickman is all but spelling they're sleeping together (then again, there's probably people in denial even after seeing the living arrangements in this issue).  Plus, the Sinister Secret #5 from Powers of X.  The reason she doesn't have a room there is because she has her own palace in Krakoa, if she's on the Moon, is to sleep with Scott.

https://community.cbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=88391&stc=1&d=1571319451

If you say so. Part of it is that I don't really care enough to look. I like Emma, got tired of Logan long ago and the other 2....ugh.

Edited by Red Tiger

7 hours ago, red snow said:

It's weird how the polygamy thing seems to be the main focus of the issue regarding reviews and online response. For me it's a big "so what" and at best is a fun poke by Hickman at how incestuous the X-men have been over the years anyhow. I was more interested in how Magneto was being depicted as a god like saviour/protector of mutantkind and how he seems to be relishing it. Seems a bit dangerous to me further down the road as Magneto has been known to do some shitty things in the name of protecting mutants and worry what would happen if he was tipped over the edge again.

I'm also intrigued by Cyclops. I'm glad he's happy but he seems to be on the same kool aid that everyone else is currently. I noticed Polaris and Corsair both made a point of asking whether he actually means it - both with a sense of doubt. If it turns out there's something far more sinister at play with Dawn of X then I'm hoping Cyclops will be one of the characters to unravel it. Part of me feels like Krakoa is producing a spore that's creating the cult but Xavier might also be doing a bit of editing whenever he brings characters back to life. Hickman has made a point of saying he's created a story that allows all the toys to go back in the sandbox once he's done - I suspect that the "real" X-men are all in storage along with Sabretooth and that when his run is complete the "originals" will be back free of any taint/development under Hickman's run.

Also wonder what the chances are that at least one of the mutant kids rescued in this issue are sleeper agents infiltrating Krakoa?

Magneto having a God complex and getting very far down his own ass was always a problem, and certainly will be later.

Some people also read the Cyclops/Polaris exchange as hinting that they would be in a relationship themselves- while I don't think that's really the case, if true, would certainly add to the theory of Xavier "editing" the X-men to some extent, because of course if there's anyone Magneto would want with his daughter, it would be Scott.

While there seems to be some editing with Vulcan (the psychopatic tendencies removed, now he's just as stupid as any other teenage boy), I don't think it's the case with everyone, because it would be a cop out. Far more likely to me would be a civil war breaking out between Moira and Xavier, with Magneto either with him or being on his own side, and the rectangle breaking up because of politics- Scott and Jean most likely being in different sides since that never happened.

1 hour ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Magneto having a God complex and getting very far down his own ass was always a problem, and certainly will be later.

Some people also read the Cyclops/Polaris exchange as hinting that they would be in a relationship themselves- while I don't think that's really the case, if true, would certainly add to the theory of Xavier "editing" the X-men to some extent, because of course if there's anyone Magneto would want with his daughter, it would be Scott.

While there seems to be some editing with Vulcan (the psychopatic tendencies removed, now he's just as stupid as any other teenage boy), I don't think it's the case with everyone, because it would be a cop out. Far more likely to me would be a civil war breaking out between Moira and Xavier, with Magneto either with him or being on his own side, and the rectangle breaking up because of politics- Scott and Jean most likely being in different sides since that never happened.

Marvel does love a civil war. This one could be even more fun with villains on various sides too.

I can see a schism (another one) based around magneto having his own cult following and some being pissed if they found Xavier was editing them.

Mystique is also going to be angry when they don't bring destiny back.

As for the budding relationships i suspect there's a bit of eugenics at play. Sinister and/or Moira probably have a notion of which pairings could create new omega level mutants. It's slso one of their "laws" to make more mutants but this is also probably with creating power mixes similar to those seen in the chimeras from POX. It'd be interesting to see if any of the relationships hinted at were in the chimeras listed. Wasnt one of them a pryde, colossus mix? There was also a nightcrawler one so it'd be interesting to see who he's cosying up to.

Although you'd think moira would remember how to make chimeras unless it was Sinister alone who knew how to do that?

13 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Destiny is the big Checkov's gun of Hickman's run. Sabretooth will certainly be released later on and cause mayhem.

I'm trying to get my head around why she was such a problem? I know she threatened Moira and seemed to be aware of her past (and future?) Lives but I'm still not clear why she'd be such a threat to mutants?

Also there must be other precogs in the mutant world (or super folk) so what about them? And time travellers for that point.

I really don't like kid cable. Hickman should have retconned that when he had the chance

Moira is, for understandable reasons, terrified of Destiny after the stunt she pulled with Pyro. The only other very powerful precog I remember is Blindfold, and she's also dead (in hindsight, it was clear Matthew Rosenberg had orders to get her off the board, but I doubt he was told to do it in such an offensive fashion).  Destiny or another precog would know of Moira's existence and what's she's up to, as well as mutatkind's (so far) inevitable fate.

Kid Cable is obviously a dumb idea, but also one that predates Hickman, and Marvel probably didn't imagine the reception to the character would be so poor by the time they got the ball rolling, because of course, they're also the people that thought that kill Cyclops off-panel while calling him the new Hitler would be also pretty neat.

On 10/22/2019 at 6:18 PM, Red Tiger said:

Marauders tomorrow. I like the idea of this team, but I am not familiar with the writer. I don't know if hes any good or what he specializes in, et. Can someboy enlighten me?

On 10/23/2019 at 8:42 AM, Red Tiger said:

Dayumn, Kitty is brutal in this issue. Awesome, but vicious use of her powers.

So I’m hearing this was pretty good? I really wasn’t planning on buying all the non-Hickman X titles, but I’m already curious...

5 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

I didn't care too much for it, to be honest. 

Now, Immortal Hulk on the other hand, was crazier than any of the Hickman stuff, and also awesome.

I need to catch up on this. I think I’m still a couple trades behind. Glad to hear it’s still going strong. 

On 10/23/2019 at 1:42 PM, Red Tiger said:

Dayumn, Kitty is brutal in this issue. Awesome, but vicious use of her powers.

Really vicious but a good highlight of her powers. Did anyone else notice that lockheed had fingers in his mouth at the end of the fight? Hopefully only eating hands as opposed to entire people.

I'm also really curious as to why she can't used the gates or why Krakoa appears to be hostile towards her.  I actually like the set up of the ship being used to smuggle out mutants who are being held hostage in their native countries - far more interesting than them being drug smugglers which was the vibe I was getting prior to reading. Not so sure why Storm is part of the crew when she seemed so against being Red Queen and captain. I guess she could be useful when dealing with Wakanda though - although again it would seem odd of Wakanda not to let their mutants leave. Guess it'll be more to do with the drugs.

I'll give it a few issues to see where it goes - seems more "traditional" X-men.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

I need to catch up on this. I think I’m still a couple trades behind. Glad to hear it’s still going strong. 

A recent review was making out it was nearing the end of its run. Not sure if that's the case or whether it's just relaunching. It's nice to have a marvel book that's self-contained though and doing horror.