Comics Phase Fourteen

Teng Ai Hui

On 11/21/2019 at 5:23 AM, red snow said:

I finished Ellis' "the Wild Storm" and found it to be a great nostalgia trip/reboot. There was a lot to juggle but Ellis managed to pull it off in a single title. It maybe left the WildCats by the wayside as it became more of an Authority comic but there is supposed to be a Wildcats follow-up series (although it was supposed to be out in August so that's a bit of a worry). The book should also be used to show other companies how to switch genders and races of known characters as Ellis and co. have made what was a fairly male then white dominated cast much more diverse. Maybe it's because the characters aren't as "big" as say Superman, etc or because the original characters technically still exist in the DC universe (Midnighter does at least) but it worked really smoothly for me and I'm someone who was a big fan of the Stormwatch/Authority cast. Probably boils down to the characters maintaining their essence and the new versions being as strong (better in the case of the Doctor) as the originals. That and the title being obscure enough that DC/Marvel trolls can't get enraged at a level where I can hear it.

Unfortunately WildC.A.T.S. seems completely dead at the moment.  As someone who unironically loves that title's original run and has never cared much about the Authority--which has grown into a deep and active resentment at how they monopolize the playing field--the entirety of Wild Storm kind of wound downwards and straight up pissed away a lot of interesting characters as cannon fodder in the last few issues.  Why set up such a neat version of Voodoo and then do absolutely nothing with her?

4 hours ago, Little Valkyrie said:

Unfortunately WildC.A.T.S. seems completely dead at the moment.  As someone who unironically loves that title's original run and has never cared much about the Authority--which has grown into a deep and active resentment at how they monopolize the playing field--the entirety of Wild Storm kind of wound downwards and straight up pissed away a lot of interesting characters as cannon fodder in the last few issues.  Why set up such a neat version of Voodoo and then do absolutely nothing with her?

It was odd how it started out feeling more like a wildcats book and then became more of an authority title. Maybe because Ellis thought he was doing a wildcats spin-off?

The only version of wildcats I'm familiar with is the 3.0 one where they were saving the world as a corporate entity and it remains one of the most original takes in superheroes but sadly underexplored. I guess there was the one issue by Morrison and Lee too. It's a shame the wildstorm universe is plagued by delays and unfinished projects. Probably due to DC always being unsure of how to handle the characters and possibly scared/embarrassed at the imprint ever being more successful than their main books. Still a bit bizarre given Jim Lee's position at DC and him being the founder of wildstorm.

On 1/15/2020 at 5:10 AM, red snow said:

It was odd how it started out feeling more like a wildcats book and then became more of an authority title. Maybe because Ellis thought he was doing a wildcats spin-off?

The only version of wildcats I'm familiar with is the 3.0 one where they were saving the world as a corporate entity and it remains one of the most original takes in superheroes but sadly underexplored. I guess there was the one issue by Morrison and Lee too. It's a shame the wildstorm universe is plagued by delays and unfinished projects. Probably due to DC always being unsure of how to handle the characters and possibly scared/embarrassed at the imprint ever being more successful than their main books. Still a bit bizarre given Jim Lee's position at DC and him being the founder of wildstorm.

whether it dies on the vine or not, if you stick wellis' name on something; i'm gonna read it.

also, how brubaker is the doomsday clock movie???  i almost wish they'd have just left it out.  i'm on issue 9 and it could turn back into to something that actually matters but jeez...it takes me outta the story every damn time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2020 at 2:44 AM, dornish prince said:

whether it dies on the vine or not, if you stick wellis' name on something; i'm gonna read it.

also, how brubaker is the doomsday clock movie???  i almost wish they'd have just left it out.  i'm on issue 9 and it could turn back into to something that actually matters but jeez...it takes me outta the story every damn time.

I am warming to Ellis again. I only really went off him when he went through a phase of never finishing projects (although I understand some of that was a combo of him losing a hardrive of stories and artist issues) but he's becoming more reliable. Maybe working in TV has taught him some deadline techniques. It seems more of a publishing issue that Wildcats is on hiatus.

23 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Just finished the giant treasury editor of Silver Surfer: Black. Gorgeous book. Some of the trippiest art I’ve seen since Sandman: Overture. 

I thought the story was weak (but I'm not a fan of the whole symbiote mythology that's been created over the last few years) but I completely agree that the artwork blows away any problems with the story. Some of the most interesting pop art in comics I've seen in a while.

I've heard the new Thor series is sort of a successor title to Silver Surfer Black but I'm hesitant given I didn't really like the story and it's a different artist.

Undiscovered country is turning out to be a comic that's probably better read in trades. I was meh about the first issue but following ones have been grabbing more attention. It still makes me appreciate East of West a lot more.

39 minutes ago, red snow said:

I am warming to Ellis again. I only really went off him when he went through a phase of never finishing projects (although I understand some of that was a combo of him losing a hardrive of stories and artist issues) but he's becoming more reliable. Maybe working in TV has taught him some deadline techniques. It seems more of a publishing issue that Wildcats is on hiatus.

I thought the story was weak (but I'm not a fan of the whole symbiote mythology that's been created over the last few years) but I completely agree that the artwork blows away any problems with the story. Some of the most interesting pop art in comics I've seen in a while.

I've heard the new Thor series is sort of a successor title to Silver Surfer Black but I'm hesitant given I didn't really like the story and it's a different artist.

Undiscovered country is turning out to be a comic that's probably better read in trades. I was meh about the first issue but following ones have been grabbing more attention. It still makes me appreciate East of West a lot more.

Did you read the final issues? Went out pretty strong. I’m going to miss the hell out of that book. It always went near the top of my monthly titles in reading order. 

20 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Did you read the final issues? Went out pretty strong. I’m going to miss the hell out of that book. It always went near the top of my monthly titles in reading order. 

I've been reading it in trade format so I'm not sure if the final volume is out. If it is i have some catching up to do! I liked how despite all the various factions and threads it appeared to be coming to a head.

I had a quick glance and the art does look fun. How many "issues" or time investment is required to get up to speed with the series

On 2/6/2020 at 2:00 AM, Kalbear said:

Not exactly the right place, but good as any - Kill 6 billion demons has been absolutely on fire with the art and style recently and should be checked out.

Start here:

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/king-of-swords-9-90/

4 hours ago, red snow said:

I had a quick glance and the art does look fun. How many "issues" or time investment is required to get up to speed with the series

Ugh. Probably a ton, honestly. Though you could likely start with Alison's training sequence and mastery of the key, which is only like 100 pages ago. 

On 2/1/2020 at 6:39 AM, red snow said:

i watch castlevania and his, on the nose, james bond stories.  it, also, is always a sound move to revisit transmetropolitan.  it is still fucking relevant.  the batman's grave seemed hamfisted, at first, but is coming around.

Edited by dornish prince
ineptitude

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder what's happening to the "5th generation" plan now that dan didio has been fired from DC? Wonder if it will be a separate line rather than the main continuity? I think the latter option is more appealing as it could be akin to marvel's ultimate imprint. The company seems in a bit of flux at the moment caught between prestige "black label" books and regular "event" series. I guess the black label has a longer term future in book sales.

On 7/26/2019 at 10:06 AM, Teng Ai Hui said:

I personally found House of X very confusing. I recognized the characters but the characterization and world-building were atypical. I had to find a copy of Age of X-Man Omega to even begin to understand the plot. 

It was the best X-Men story since Whedon, and the best SF story I read last year.

On 7/27/2019 at 7:39 PM, Sci-2 said:

HoX #1 was good, though I am a bit surprised at how much praise is being heaped upon it. Having just done a recent reread of Morrison's first major arc (Cassandra Nova vs Charles Xavier)

Hickman's run has already surpassed Morrison's in my mind. Except kitty cat Beast. That was the shit.

8 hours ago, Stego said:

Hickman's run has already surpassed Morrison's in my mind. Except kitty cat Beast. That was the shit.

I think it has revitalised the line more than Morrison's run. Although the x-books were doing fine at the time wheareas Hickman took over after marvel were deliberately side-lining the franchise. I'm still on the fence with the dawn of x maintaining the momentum of the hox/pox series some titles work fine as their own thing (Excalibur) while others feel like watering down the concept (x-force, fallen angels). I suspect it might be a series where the "landmarks" are great but the stuff in between is more world building and preparing for the next landmark.

I'm really hoping it will transpire something sinister (potential pun intended) is at play to explain the weird characterization and cult like vibe. Ideally Cyclops will "wake" and be a counter insurgent. I'm not convinced that any of the characters we are seeing are who they are. At the very least Hickman has been clever enough to set the story up do that it's really easy to do a reset when he leaves (eg the originals are still alive in stasis pods within krakoa and can replace the duplicates). It's like Hickman saw how marvel shat all over Morrison's run with hasty/non-sensical retcons.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

I think it has revitalised the line more than Morrison's run. Although the x-books were doing fine at the time wheareas Hickman took over after marvel were deliberately side-lining the franchise. I'm still on the fence with the dawn of x maintaining the momentum of the hox/pox series some titles work fine as their own thing (Excalibur) while others feel like watering down the concept (x-force, fallen angels). I suspect it might be a series where the "landmarks" are great but the stuff in between is more world building and preparing for the next landmark.

I'm really hoping it will transpire something sinister (potential pun intended) is at play to explain the weird characterization and cult like vibe. Ideally Cyclops will "wake" and be a counter insurgent. I'm not convinced that any of the characters we are seeing are who they are. At the very least Hickman has been clever enough to set the story up do that it's really easy to do a reset when he leaves (eg the originals are still alive in stasis pods within krakoa and can replace the duplicates). It's like Hickman saw how marvel shat all over Morrison's run with hasty/non-sensical retcons.

I think they will definitely lead to a Mutant Civil War. I wish they wouldn't, because I adore the status quo at the moment. Krakoa shouldn't just be another mansion/utopia/haven that goes to shit in a week.

Do they have too many X-titles right now? Hell yes. I hope they are just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. Some of them are already canceled, I believe. 

I hope Hickman has a Claremontian run on the X-Men. 

1 hour ago, Stego said:

I think they will definitely lead to a Mutant Civil War. I wish they wouldn't, because I adore the status quo at the moment. Krakoa shouldn't just be another mansion/utopia/haven that goes to shit in a week.

Do they have too many X-titles right now? Hell yes. I hope they are just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. Some of them are already canceled, I believe. 

I hope Hickman has a Claremontian run on the X-Men. 

Fallen angels was cancelled sharpish so i hope they do the same with other titles that flag/fail to connect.

I think there's more chance of another avengers v X-Men before a civil war between X-Men as it's easy to see how krakoa can come into conflict with the rest of marvel.