Comics Phase Fourteen

Teng Ai Hui

I finally read House of X/Powers of X.  I liked it but...

Spoiler

I'm not sure about the resurrections.  I have always felt the comic book character death was cheapened by how regularly they come back. 

Still liked it, though.

Edited by Inkdaub
shhhhhhh

Slott does his best to ignore anything that happened since John Byrne left the book , so it makes sense for him. The editor, Tom Breevort, clearly hates the X-men for a while (at least since AvX, which he spearheaded, and resulted in Marvel being shocked and embarrassed most people sided with the X-men, resulting in them doubling down on trying to make the X-men, Cyclops specially, as the villains).

Mind you, I'm not surprised if that is retconned when Slott leaves.

Regarding the Resurrection Protocols (not sure we need a spoiler for a story 16 months old), it makes perfect sense- first of all, Hickman needed a way to bring all the characters that were killed over the years to tell the story. Second, since we all knew everyone comes back anyway, Hickman and other writers have a chance to explore what's life to live in a post-scarcity, post-death society.

13 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Regarding the Resurrection Protocols (not sure we need a spoiler for a story 16 months old), it makes perfect sense- first of all, Hickman needed a way to bring all the characters that were killed over the years to tell the story. Second, since we all knew everyone comes back anyway, Hickman and other writers have a chance to explore what's life to live in a post-scarcity, post-death society.

There are interesting aspects to it for sure. 

I feel like I might have posted about these but not seeing it?

Chainsaw Man - Great world building & art, if I could put it in a genre it'd be New Weird + Dark Fantasy. A boy is granted the Devil of Chainsaw for a heart, leading him to the mysterious world of agencies trying to keep the world from being overwhelmed by these supernatural forces. Action, humor, and even some genuinely scary moments.

Lookism - Bullied, short/fat/"ugly" kid moves to a new school to escape his tormentor. Suddenly finds himself with an extra [hot] body which awakens when his usual body falls asleep. Starts off as a humorous school comedy that slowly opens itself into the world of child gangs, cults, human trafficking. The message does a bit muddled when all of the hot girls largely look the same and have the same body type (big ass, big tits, little wastes, slim faces).

Viral Hit - Another tale of bullying from Taejun Park, though this time the kid finds a mysterious Youtube channel that teaches people how to fight. Leads him to getting a superpopular Youtube channel as after defeating his own bully, he decides to dedicate his own Youtube channel to taking on bullies at other schools. Hijinks ensue.

Tower of God - Probably one of the biggest Webtoons, a fantasy epic starring a boy who lived under a Tower that is big enough for floors to contain continents if not worlds. I do think it suffers a bit from the problem I see in shonen, where the initial characterization then leads to an insane amount of action sequences where even character interaction is minimized. The best comparison might be the way Authority was more about "wide-screen" cinematic action than characters though here there is a central story rather than US superhero style largely/totally disconnected arcs.

Edited by Sci-2

• 4 weeks later...

I really enjoyed the first book in Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips new graphic novel series Reckless. These two can just do no wrong when they collaborate as far as I’m concerned. I think it’s supposed to be three books total over the course of the year. Picked it up from my LCS, and it even came with with a bookplate signed by both creators. Pretty cool. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got all the English versions of Witch Hat Atelier's 7 available volumes.

Gorgeous art reminiscent of P.Craig Russel and Michael Kaluta, a great setting that captures the fairy tale feel of an enchanted world while still having plenty of magical action. The story unfolds at a good pace, balancing the foreboding machinations of the Brimmed Hats with the learning process of the four girl apprentices.

Also a great comic for girls, probably teens and maybe mature adolescents due to violence - there are a few brutal scenes as the story progresses.

"Female protagonist" is not used here in the sense of wank-bank material. Some minor nudity - maybe just a single image? - depicted in a kind of classical style.

Edited by Sci-2

• 2 weeks later...

I recently finished Wonder Woman: Dead Earth.  Even for a publication from the Black Label, it was more brutal than I expected, especially part 3.  That re-imagined Lasso of Truth will be in my nightmares for weeks to come.

Edited by Teng Ai Hui

I am reading all the Jane Foster-Thor comics I can get.  I have just finished with the Shi'ar issues so now it's time to return to the War of the Realms...I assume.

I have a few issues missing from X of Swords so I haven't started that yet.  I still have a ton of Batman and Daredevil comics to read.  Detective Comics and Daredevil are probably my favorite comics overall so I'm saving them for whatever reason.

At one time...maybe still...Brubaker was my favorite comic writer so I look forward to anything with his name on it. 

5 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

I have just finished with the Shi'ar issues

Glad they're still kicking around.

Still waiting to see if anyone ever decides to put the Starjammers and the Shi'ar Imperial Guard into the MCU.

17 hours ago, Ran said:

Glad they're still kicking around.

Still waiting to see if anyone ever decides to put the Starjammers and the Shi'ar Imperial Guard into the MCU.

I am usually a big fan of all that galactic level stuff.  I am a huge fan of the first Annihilation event as an example.  I have always been a fan of Silver Surfer but writers always try to put him on Earth fighting muggers or some such.  Put him in space!  I also like Thor stories about Asgard and the Realms and all that.

Yeah seeing those groups and others like them in the MCU would be pretty cool.  Gladiator is like the Karsa Orlong of Marvel Comics.

So War of the Realms is much bigger than I thought.  I've been out of the comic loop for a bit and didn't know it even existed.  The good news is I like War of the Realms.  Bad news is Marvel put out a sweet omnibus that almost immediately went out of print.  Sold out in a couple weeks and is now gone.  I hope they reprint it at some point.  More good news is the Annihilation omnibus is still out there so I can order one.

Currently reading Daredevil Back in Black trades which are great as expected.  Art is absolutely fantastic. 

From the desk of the great Jim Shooter. He really straightened out Marvel, though got a bit too hands-on after Secret Wars and led to some public blow-ups with long-time creators who took off for DC.

His Valiant Comics were some of my favorite things from when I was collecting comic books in the 90s.