Comics Phase Fourteen

Teng Ai Hui

2 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I'm currently working my way through the entirety of Ms. Marvel because she's such an enjoyable character (and I'm playing Marvel's Avengers).

I just finished the Civil War tie-in.

I just picked up the first HC volume of the Khamala Khan Ms Marvel. Collects the first couple trades I believe. Been meaning to give this a try for quite a while now, and I found it dirt cheap at an Ollie’s (great deals on comics there btw). Will try to get to it soon. 

I have now read...

Death of Wolverine

Hunt for Wolverine

Return of Wolverine

Issues of Wolverine up to X of Swords, which I am saving until I catch some other titles up.

The first (Rebirth)Detective Comics trade...written by Tynion...called Rise of the Batmen.

I am now reading the second DC trade...The Victim Syndicate.

All were/are good and enjoyed.  Particularly good villains with good creepy vibes.  I hope to see more of them.  I will likely never be current again, though.

Read the two Old Guard trades. Good stuff though stuff happens *fast* in the second trade with people seeming to make split second decisions that has a whiff of unrealism.

OTOH, when you are an immortal among immortals, it is hard to say what their mental state would be in such circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno if anybody here has read or heard about Abraham Reisman's bio of Stan Lee  True Believer but if anyone has and is feeling disillusioned here's Roy Thomas's pushback.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/roy-thomas-former-marvel-editor-pushes-back-on-new-stan-lee-biography-guest-column

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've never been much of a comics reader; only bought a few scattered issues over the course of my  life (plus the omnibus of Bone, if graphic novels count). But I bought one the other day, which just showed up and I've since read: issue #1 of the Eat. Bang! Kill. Tour a limited(?) spin-off set in the continuity of the animated Harley Quinn show. I think that show is hilarious, even though almost all the DC references go over my head, so I decided to check out this comic series which apparently serves as a sort of season 2.5.

It was pretty good. Writing isn't as sharp as the show, but the author did a good job of emulating its style; and the art was recognizably in the animation's style. It was fun. I'll probably keep reading; issues #2 and #3 are already out.

I was not impressed by the physical book itself though, but perhaps that's simply the state comics are in now? Every other page in the middle of the issue was an ad for another series, rather being part of the content. The book itself seemed small too; perhaps that's the standard dimensions for comics, but I would've liked if everything was bigger. And it seemed too short. I believe it's a 6 issue run, and if they are all this length, I think it should've been 3 issues. Although, maybe it was the standard length for comics. Lastly, the paper wasn't flimsy or anything, but it was not nearly as robust as whatever my old Calvin & Hobbes compilation books from the early '90s were printed on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2021 at 4:17 PM, Winterfell is Burning said:

Issue #2 of Inferno, however, didn't impress me. The problem is that Hickman seems to be forcing the characters to move in ways that don't make sense for them for the sake of advancing the plot.

Hickman's problem, in my humble opinion, is while he is great at setting up political systems, plot, worldbuilding and stuff like that, he tends to put characterization on the backburner.

Spoiler

Nightcrawler wanting to please the woman who abandoned him and almost killed Rogue? Nah.

1 hour ago, Red Tiger said:

Hickman's problem, in my humble opinion, is while he is great at setting up political systems, plot, worldbuilding and stuff like that, he tends to put characterization on the backburner.

Hide contents

Nightcrawler wanting to please the woman who abandoned him and almost killed Rogue? Nah.

The one you mentioned was hardly the biggest problem, and actually Way of X provides a justification:

Spoiler

Legion mentions the lack of precogs in Krakoa, and how's that weird. 

But the issues are bigger than this-

Spoiler

the most obvious one is why wouldn't Moira or Magneto simply kill Mystique before Krakoa, put her dead last in the resurrection line, rather than give her a sit in the council? Basically, the whole story simply requires massive plot induced stupidity for both him and Xavier. And why do their only tactic to fight Orchis is sending X-force people instead of the big guns? 

Also, the way Mystique gets Shaw vote, and why doesn't he change his, is just pathetic. If someone like Austen wrote this, he'd be lambasted. And how is that Hope doesn't notice she's not getting telepathy from "Xavier" and she has Mystique powers? And that's just from the top of my head. 

Edited by Winterfell is Burning

19 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

The one you mentioned was hardly the biggest problem, and actually Way of X provides a justification:

Reveal hidden contents

Legion mentions the lack of precogs in Krakoa, and how's that weird. 

But the issues are bigger than this-

Hide contents

the most obvious one is why wouldn't Moira or Magneto simply kill Mystique before Krakoa, put her dead last in the resurrection line, rather than give her a sit in the council? Basically, the whole story simply requires massive plot induced stupidity for both him and Xavier. And why do their only tactic to fight Orchis is sending X-force people instead of the big guns? 

Also, the way Mystique gets Shaw vote, and why doesn't he change his, is just pathetic. If someone like Austen wrote this, he'd be lambasted. And how is that Hope doesn't notice she's not getting telepathy from "Xavier" and she has Mystique powers? And that's just from the top of my head. 

Spoiler

Suppose you send in the big guns to fight Nimrod. Recall that Nimrod adapts and becomes stronger. If he manages to say, take down Jamie Braddock, then he can counter all kind of omega-level powers with ease and he becomes even harder to take down.

The Destiny thing is actually managed when Magneto and Moira talk later on. Magneto would normally be willing to kill her, but Krakoa basically giving him everything he ever wanted has made him look at things differently.