US Politics: Culture Club

Kalbear

55 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

So what do I and others need to do in order to make this sort of thing the kind of thing that ends political careers?

Replace the President with a Democrat because that's the only way a career will be ended for doing something completely unethical in today's political environment.

Also, that's fucked up.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Her bounce mostly evaporated a couple weeks ago.  What will be interesting to see is whether Warren and Harris jump up again after the debates this week and eat into Sanders' and Bidens' numbers for the second time in a row - particularly because we have the progressive then center-left one-on-one matchups among the top four.  To me, if that happens again, it would strongly suggest that the two old white men are going to be in a lot of trouble once people start actually paying attention.

Not saying it's absolutely going to be the same thing or that you said anything similar back then, but only reading that gave me a strong feeling of 2015 Deja Vu...

"Trump is going to be in a lot of trouble when the campaign begins in proper."

"Trump is going to be in a lot of trouble when the field narrows."

"Trump is going to be in a lot of trouble when he hits his ceiling."

And neither Biden nor Sanders are close to being Trump, both far and away lesser evils, only IMHO they aren't the candidates the Dems should want this election.

2 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Lol, remember when Republicans ruptured their sphincters over Obama doing a slight head bow to the Saudi king? Trump isn't just selling us out, he's putting us on an unattended table at a yard sale.

In the last two weeks 2 different and unrelated people told me Obama was racist and how they either supported Trump because he "tells it like it is" or because for the first time in a long time they feel the country is taking steps in the right direction.

Yeah...goose steps.

:stillsick:

5 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

In the last two weeks 2 different and unrelated people told me Obama was racist and how they either supported Trump because he "tells it like it is" or because for the first time in a long time they feel the country is taking steps in the right direction.

Yeah...goose steps.

:stillsick:

Does it make me fascist that I want to throw the "racism wasn't a problem anymore until Obama divided us" -spouting assholes into concentration camps?

7 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

"Trump is going to be in a lot of trouble when the campaign begins in proper."

"Trump is going to be in a lot of trouble when the field narrows."

"Trump is going to be in a lot of trouble when he hits his ceiling."

I don't think Biden nor Sanders should be compared to Trump in the primaries.  First, it's an entirely different electorate - and situation in terms of the cycle and opposition.  Second, Biden and Sanders have been politicians since, well, before I was born, whereas Trump was not.  Was I wrong about Trump and maybe said something similar to those things at the time?  Yeah, but that doesn't mean the comparison is necessarily accurate.

1 minute ago, DanteGabriel said:

Does it make me fascist that I want to throw the "racism wasn't a problem anymore until Obama divided us" -spouting assholes into concentration camps?

Only if you don't ask me what I'd like to do with them.

Anyone who thinks any traditional election - campaign stuff will work for 2020 better watch The Great Hack, which lays out all the investigation done on the collaboration between Face Book and Cambridge Analytica to turn the election to tvillain, including the testimony of those who made it happen.  Because, well they wanted the money.  And now they're sorry.  Sort of? I guess?

Crowd confronts Cruz at LAX with 'free the children' chants

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/455200-crowd-confronts-cruz-at-lax-with-free-the-children-chants

A crowd at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) Sunday confronted Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) with chants of “free the children,” a reference to migrant detention centers, as he waited on his luggage.

47 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Anyone who thinks any traditional election - campaign stuff will work for 2020 better watch The Great Hack, which lays out all the investigation done on the collaboration between Face Book and Cambridge Analytica to turn the election to tvillain, including the testimony of those who made it happen.  Because, well they wanted the money.  And now they're sorry.  Sort of? I guess?

:rolleyes:  Right cuz watching a well made political documentary on the likes of Cambidge Analytica should definitely deviate one's campaign strategy.  That just screams of wisdom.

55 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I'd imagine the 'traditional' strategy of turning out the base would circumvent the bulk of social media Russia meddling.  If they hack actual voting machines, it's obviously a different conversation.  But the best defense against it, considering Moscow Mitch, is probabaly to just get the people that don't vote to vote.  Like young people.  Mob the college campuses.

Re: healthcare, medicare for all, etc.  

Defend this shit for real, point out that private health insurance exists for the sole purpose of making money off you being sick and being a middleman between your family and their healthcare.  

It's an entire industry that makes money trying to deny coverage where possible and maximizong profits.  They are leeches and parasites.  

You all haven't watched it.

What these people can do, what they have done, what they are doing, shows what you all do to be, well, medieval, at best, when the swing vote is that small, and FB's sale of individual personal data to entities like CA -- which just changed its name and re-incorporated -- actually targets individuals on FB.

But you haven't watched and you won't watch and you haven't read the testimonies in the UK and and here too.  They did swing the Brexit and the 2016 election -- and were so shocked when it worked -- though it had worked for so many other elections and votes in other nations who weren't the biggies.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'd say it makes you human in the best sense.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I don't think Biden nor Sanders should be compared to Trump in the primaries.  First, it's an entirely different electorate - and situation in terms of the cycle and opposition.  Second, Biden and Sanders have been politicians since, well, before I was born, whereas Trump was not.  Was I wrong about Trump and maybe said something similar to those things at the time?  Yeah, but that doesn't mean the comparison is necessarily accurate.

I agree and I tried to qualify what I said with that in mind. I said the same things about Trump until a week before the election.

The point I was trying to make is the deja vu should be a reminder that even so, still don't take anything for granted. 

Black journalists push media to cover ‘hyper-racial’ moment in politics
‘Race and politics,’ one reporter said, ‘is really the story of our time.’

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/29/black-journalists-racial-politics-1440628

“Sometimes we as an industry don’t understand how psychologically and emotionally tolling these conversations can be,” Washington Post reporter Wesley Lowery told POLITICO, adding that white colleagues are “having a high-minded conversation about things that impact your life every day.”

Lowery wasn’t in the room two weeks ago when Post senior editors concluded that Trump’s tweet telling four Democratic congresswomen of color to “go back” to their native countries was racist. But hours before that decision became public, he tweeted to accuse the media of cowardice and journalists of contorting themselves to avoid using the word.

Lowery told POLITICO he hoped decision-makers in his newsroom and others got his message.

“Social media provides an important outlet for minority journalists to speak clearly and decisively about how they see things and create external pressure that forces institutions not only to respond, but to consider perspectives they might not hear,” he said.

On Saturday, he also tweeted that Trump’s remarks about Baltimore were racist: “Racism often manifests as subtext and implication,” he wrote. “Black & brown ears can hear the racism clearly while our white colleagues engage in fruitless, if earnest, pedantic games.”

He said that news outlets’ hesitance to label as racist Trump’s tweets about the four congresswomen known as the Squad — Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ayanna Pressley, Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar — was part of a larger phenomenon. “Institutions and media organizations have been slower over the course of Trump’s entire political career, his political rise, to accurately describe how he’s used racial grievance and racial prejudice for his own benefit,” he said.

9 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Comparing the conditions to a 3rd world country is inherently imperialistic without further context. It also is pretty racism-adjacent given what the implications are of race and 3rd world countries. I mean, what 3rd world country is he talking about? Costa Rica, which has a better life expectancy and better health and racial conditions than the US? China, which has less per-capita prison population than the US? 

This is a kind of comparison that no one should be making these days.

first, don’t think that is what “imperialistic” means. and second, not sure i follow this reasoning. safe to assume when one is speaking of ‘third world’ (or developing, or global south) countries in general, one is speaking of the collective nations that have been plundered and brutalized by centuries of colonialism and western neoliberal imperialism, in which race is absolutely a factor, but mostly inasmuch as those same colonial/imperialistic powers see them as lesser, savage lands to be forcefully assimilated into western hegemony if not simply exploited for resources, labor, or geopolitical strategic importance. it’s not really that controversial to say that these nations, as a whole — as well as many enclaves writhin the u.s. and other western liberal democracies— do not enjoy the same standards of living by almost any metric you can measure. i’d even say that pointing these facts out is not racist, in fact the argument presented is at best ceding ground the the reactionary racist position that the general state of most non white persons is due to some bogus idea of inherent racial characteristics and not a long and powerful systematic oppression mostly white mostly western ‘first world’

Archived