US Politics: Culture Club

Kalbear

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Swinging too far to the left could also backfire spectacularly, handing Trump his reelection. This is in part why I like Harris so much. She has a great deal of political elasticity that should be able to satisfy primary voters while also appealing to independents in the General. 

I think the only way you beat Trump is getting young people to vote.  Harris would definitely be better at that than any of the field other than Bernie or Warren, maybe better than Beto or Buttiegieg on that scale.

And what you just said about Harris is what everyone was saying about Clinton.

42 minutes ago, Zorral said:

It bothered me very much too, that no one brought up those facts that medicare has premiums, deductibles and co-pays.  Also one pays additional 'premium' for medication coverage. 

Yep. My mom retired from a low wage job. Her social security was 780 a month. Medicare kicked in and now her social security check is 600.

49 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

True, but you also have to consider the repercussions of over promising and under delivering. 

I really don't think this matters anymore - and I'm not sure it ever really mattered.

33 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I think the only way you beat Trump is getting young people to vote.

Famous last words.

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

And then there's shit like Medicare Part D(? I think), the prescription drug benefit where Bush's congress wrote it so the

There's so much within the healthcare industry that no one even knows about. You mentioned the negotiating drug prices, which makes a huge difference, but there the ACA also explicitly banned the use of cost effective analysis to recommend best practices - By contrast, the NHS uses CEAs explicitly to determine which care is provided free of cost and which care is not. The weird part is people still use CEAs, especially in academic settings, but it's all a bit hush hush.

I've worked in quite a few health systems but there are some issues that are really unique to the American one, a really good example is Surprise Medical Bills ( when you have insurance but you are treated at an out of network provider)  for which the federal government has done *nothing*.

I have a terrible confession -- melissima makes my teeth grind, even when it's Nina Simone.  By now all the vocalists milk it beyond reason or health, while employing auto tune too -- and I hate them all!

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

I have a terrible confession -- melissima makes my teeth grind, even when it's Nina Simone.  By now all the vocalists milk it beyond reason or health, while employing auto tune too -- and I hate them all!

If we're doing confessions then I have to admit that I'd fuck Jeff Flake. I know, I know. I don't think he's a hero or anything, it's just that if you squint and are super fucked up he almost looks like William Fichtner and, well, I'm legally human!

Archived