Kalbear

US Politics: Culture Club

Just now, The Mother of The Others said:

8 more years of Trump!     Closing the deal with a brainfart!     

Watching Joe Biden speak is like watching the Hindenburg disaster in slow motion.

Pretty sure he also called the TPP the TTP.  Sure, something like that is a slip that anyone can make, but right now it feels like a trend with this stuff, I'm sorry to say.  

Every last one of you mofos better to be ready to enthusiastically support this guy if he's the nominee all the same against the extinction level event that is Trump.

5 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Pretty sure he also called the TPP the TTP.  Sure, something like that is a slip that anyone can make, but right now it feels like a trend with this stuff, I'm sorry to say.  

Every last one of you mofos better to be ready to enthusiastically support this guy if he's the nominee all the same against the extinction level event that is Trump.

lol you mofos better do everything you can to prevent that from happening

3 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I think that the only person I wouldn't support is John Delaney, and that is just because I think he is an uninspiring shitbag, I would just stay home.

I am really happy Inslee is getting some good coverage, he had a great showing, and is probably my number 3 at this point after Bernie and Warren.

Oh, and just in case anyone is wondering, the Buttigieg team swooped in and picked up the website Biden botched.

Just now, a good and nice guy said:

lol you mofos better do everything you can to prevent that from happening

I'm kind of amazed by his persistent polling lead and of course wonder if it's just a name-recognition thing or if people genuinely think he's the best chance to beat Trump.  

Van Jones all but saying that Warren is just the best candidate.  

Just now, Triskele said:

I'm kind of amazed by his persistent polling lead and of course wonder if it's just a name-recognition thing or if people genuinely think he's the best chance to beat Trump.  

Van Jones all but saying that Warren is just the best candidate.  

oh i absolutely believe that; name recognition, obama nostalgia (not that you’d know that from his debates) and basically the fact beating trump is essentially the #1 issue for most lib voters. its a self reinforcing thing, where everyone  is just basically holding their nose because they think everyone else is voting for him. prisoners dilemma shit

1 hour ago, a good and nice guy said:

harris might want to lay off the “i’ve seen people go to prison for far less” tack

I think this just speaks to who she is as a candidate. She will say anything and then backtrack later.

Biden: big boss

Harris: liquid snake

Bennet: psycho mantis

Tulsi: revolver ocelot

Yang: kenneth baker

Booker: decoy octopus

De Blasio: cyborg ninja

Gillibrand: vulcan raven 

Castro: sniper wolf

Inslee: octacon

will not be explaining or reading replies

7 minutes ago, a good and nice guy said:

Biden: big boss

Harris: liquid snake

Bennet: psycho mantis

Tulsi: revolver ocelot

Yang: kenneth baker

Booker: decoy octopus

De Blasio: cyborg ninja

Gillibrand: vulcan raven 

Castro: sniper wolf

Inslee: octacon

will not be explaining or reading replies

So you're for Castro.

He did have a good night.  

3 hours ago, a good and nice guy said:

i mean, what’s to discuss? it’s an obvious and overt attempt to chill and clamp down on dissent in general, while providing cover for far right violence with “whataboutism”

eta: the whole thing is unsurprising and not too much to add to discourse aside from practical discussion on updating tactics and opsec concerns

The right wing organized militias with clear and established hierarchies that destroy government property and explicitly/openly threatening to literally kill politicians and police in response to government policies they don’t like, will never be called out by the right as terrorists- they’re called god-fearing patriots, who have the guts to stand up to big government. Meaning they’re political violence is totes justified. Remember Bundy? The right cooed  all over the guy who was readily threatening to and prepared to kill cops to “defend” the land he was mooching off of. Hell a couple maniacs who stood by him did go out and kill cops later. 

A left-winger Punching and throwing a milkshake on a guy>a right winger threatening to kill/killing people. 

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

Why is Booker not more popular?  It makes no sense to me. 

I think he's almost the perfect thread-the-needle of progressive versus pragmatic, right in his prime, and totally capable of beating Trump.   

I'm aware of some of the nitpicks like the authenticity thing.  But all of these candidates have something like that.  As Rick Pitino said, Barack Obama is not walking through that door.  I think that Booker's positives are high and his ceiling is high and his negatives have been oversold.  

Think about Hillary's negatives and think about how puny Booker's seem by comparison.  

ETA:  My outrageously early prediction is that it will be a Warren/Booker ticket.  

Edited by Triskele

33 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Why is Booker not more popular?  It makes no sense to me. 

I think he's almost the perfect thread-the-needle of progressive versus pragmatic, right in his prime, and totally capable of beating Trump.   

I'm aware of some of the nitpicks like the authenticity thing.  But all of these candidates have something like that.  As Rick Pitino said, Barack Obama is not walking through that door.  I think that Booker's positives are high and his ceiling is high and his negatives have been oversold.  

Man, he seems like a human who was grown in a vat by aliens and programed to to act how they think humans act. I mean, they even made a spare.

On a more serious note, I have big problems with his connections with wall street and in a field that has Warren and Sanders, why would I settle for Booker at this point.

As for Hillary, a lot of folks were yelling from the rooftops that she was a incredibly flawed candidate. I mean, I voted for her, thought she would win, but I had an awful lot of conversations about how focus tested she came across as well as the fact that a massive segment of the population thinks she is the devil or just didn't trust her.

Edited by GrimTuesday

Thank you for that response.  I get all of that.  

But it feels a little bit like we're all investors looking for a "safe harbor" investment.  

If there's a class project or journalism assignment to list the flaws of all of the candidates there's plenty to say about most.  I guess what I'm thinking right now is that I think we're blaming Booker for having some fairly politician flaws while ignoring how ideal he is in several other respects.

@GrimTuesday

Not quite following why you're showing that picture.  Is there a context I'm missing?  

ETA:  Marshall's thoughts @ TPM (which I only just read):

That was a bit of a shaky close for Joe Biden. I don’t know how else to put it. You don’t get a lot of leeway on that kind of thing when your in your mid-70s. I don’t know if that matters or not. Because on balance I thought he had a pretty good debate. He was much more focused and aggressive than he was in the first debate. He got hit from all sides but he hit back and often effectively. In the first debate he just didn’t seem to be expecting or prepared to defend himself or his record – which is a bit bizarre as a frontrunner heading into his first campaign debate.

His research team sent him in with a lot of good details to bring to bear on his challengers. I continue to have a lot of questions about what kind of President Biden would be and frankly what kind of candidate he will be over time. But I also think many observers simply don’t get why he remains strong in the polls versus the other Democrats and even stronger against Trump. It’s more than just inertia or earliness or name recognition.

The other thing that I took note of is that Biden basically didn’t engage on the debates on health care, immigration and other issues as they’ve existed in much of this campaign – debates which have focused on candidates trying to outdo each other on Medicare for All or decriminalizing border crossings. He detailed his position on both issues but he was focused on a general election audience and a general election campaign.

Harris seemed to lose the thread early in the debate and seemed unprepared and at some level pissed to see so many candidates attacking her at once from so many different directions. She closed well. But it was a generally so-so or weak performance for her.

I was again impressed by Cory Booker. He’s consistently really good in these debates – not only finesse and image but in substance and policy detail. He was just a lot more together than almost anyone else on stage. So far, it simply hasn’t gotten him anywhere in public support.

Thinking this all over I come back again to how much it shortchanged voters that we didn’t see all four of the frontrunners on stage together, with most of the folks unable to get over 1% just removed from the stage.

Edited by Triskele

29 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Thank you for that response.  I get all of that.  

But it feels a little bit like we're all investors looking for a "safe harbor" investment.  

If there's a class project or journalism assignment to list the flaws of all of the candidates there's plenty to say about most.  I guess what I'm thinking right now is that I think we're blaming Booker for having some fairly politician flaws while ignoring how ideal he is in several other respects.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not dismissing him. In fact, his lurch to the left has definitely raised him in my esteem. He has acceptable politics if I had to rank candidates, he is probably number 4 for me (Sanders, Warren, Inslee, then Booker) it's not like he is John Delaney or the Master of Darkness Hickenlooper.

His greatest failing is that he isn't Obama, and honestly, I think that that is a major flaw. Obviously I personally don't consider it to be an issue, but people have such a high expectation that he is never going to meet and I think that it has become all but impossible to reset that expectation to the public at large.

ETA, I was just making a joke that they made a spare since he and his brother often look eerily similar in pictures.

Edited by GrimTuesday