US Politics: Culture Club

Kalbear

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Ummm... partisan gerrymandering has no influence on either the Presidential election (with the potential exceptions of Nebraska and Maine) or the Senate.  Only the President and the Senate are involved in selecting and confirming Supreme Court Justices.

The issues all intertwine though. Republicans steal the Presidency using the SC in 2000. Which in turn gains them the SC. They steal the Presidency by encouraging/allowing Russian influence in 2016, again gaining the court for a generation. The SC allows partisan gerrymandering to run amok, as well as massive voter suppression, and pumping dark money into politics.  They also steal a SC seat by breaking norms. The only thing they haven't figured out how to do yet is to steal a Senate seat.  

And now that Republicans have opened the door to foreign influence, more actors will get involved.

19 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Ummm... partisan gerrymandering has no influence on either the Presidential election (with the potential exceptions of Nebraska and Maine) or the Senate.  Only the President and the Senate are involved in selecting and confirming Supreme Court Justices.

I didn't read the slate piece Martell Spy linked but I did read the Ezra Klein piece it's discussing in what's quoted.  The point isn't solely about gerrymandering - it's about emphasizing systematic reform of the political system.  In fact, the Buttigieg quote Klein was responding to doesn't even mention gerrymandering:  

[This is] the conversation that we have been having for the last 20 years. Of course, we need to get money out of politics, but when I propose the actual structural democratic reforms that might make a difference — end the Electoral College, amend the Constitution if necessary to clear up Citizens United, have DC actually be a state, and depoliticize the Supreme Court with structural reform — people look at me funny, as if this country was incapable of structural reform.

This is a country that once changed its Constitution so you couldn’t drink and changed it back because we changed our minds, and you’re telling me we can’t reform our democracy in our time. We have to or we will be having the same argument 20 years from now.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

I didn't read the slate piece Martell Spy linked but I did read the Ezra Klein piece it's discussing in what's quoted.  The point isn't solely about gerrymandering - it's about emphasizing systematic reform of the political system.  In fact, the Buttigieg quote Klein was responding to doesn't even mention gerrymandering:  

That’s fine.  Partisan Gerrymandering still has no direct impact on picking SCOTUS Justices.  

Rep. Will Hurd (R-TX) announced late Thursday night that he is stepping down from Congress.

“I have made the decision to not seek reelection for the 23rd Congressional District of Texas in order to pursue opportunities outside the halls of Congress to solve problems at the nexus between technology and national security,” Hurd said in a statemen

Hurd had a tough re-election campaign in the Democrat-held House ahead of him in 2020. He is one of only three districts Hillary Clinton won in 2016 that is still in Republican control. The three-term congressman was slated for a rematch with Democrat Gina Ortiz Jones, a veteran.   

Hurd has been a rare vocal Republican critic of President Trump. In the past several weeks, he said publicly that the president’s tweets attacking four progressive congresswomen of color, Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY), Rashida Tlaib (D-MI), Ilhan Omar (D-MN), and Ayanna Pressley (D-MA), were “racist and xenophobic,” making him one of the few members of Trump’s party to criticize his remarks.

Will Hurd Is the Latest House Republican to Sprint for the Exits
The House’s only black Republican says he’s not seeking re-election, and the announcement comes as a slew of other GOP members said they will step down.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/will-hurd-is-the-latest-republican-to-say-he-will-not-seek-re-election?ref=home

7 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Even having a passport may not be good enough, since ICE is essentially a lawless agency and at least half of their door-kickers are full Trumpy racist. All a passport is, is a paper shield. If they say the passport is fake and detain you without access to a lawyer, what's your recourse?

I was naturalized at 16 and me vanishing into an ICE hole for days or weeks or months has become a prominent part of Mrs. Gabriel's nightmares. Like, I'm supposed to visit an old buddy in Montreal and I'm legit not sure if I should risk a border crossing, even with my passport and citizenship certificate on me.

Seriously? So the Orange is the New Black story line about one of the US citizen characters being thrown into an ICE detention facility is not as overblown as I though it was? If I was stopped on the street by some jackbooted official and told to prove my citizenship the only evidence I'd have is my Kiwi accent. I have photo ID with my driver's license but that does not prove citizenship. But obviously it can quickly confirm my citizenship with a quick search on the jackboot official's database.

Archived