Kalbear

US Politics: Culture Club

Anyone who thinks any traditional election - campaign stuff will work for 2020 better watch The Great Hack, which lays out all the investigation done on the collaboration between Face Book and Cambridge Analytica to turn the election to tvillain, including the testimony of those who made it happen.  Because, well they wanted the money.  And now they're sorry.  Sort of? I guess?

Crowd confronts Cruz at LAX with 'free the children' chants

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/455200-crowd-confronts-cruz-at-lax-with-free-the-children-chants

A crowd at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) Sunday confronted Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) with chants of “free the children,” a reference to migrant detention centers, as he waited on his luggage.

47 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Anyone who thinks any traditional election - campaign stuff will work for 2020 better watch The Great Hack, which lays out all the investigation done on the collaboration between Face Book and Cambridge Analytica to turn the election to tvillain, including the testimony of those who made it happen.  Because, well they wanted the money.  And now they're sorry.  Sort of? I guess?

:rolleyes:  Right cuz watching a well made political documentary on the likes of Cambidge Analytica should definitely deviate one's campaign strategy.  That just screams of wisdom.

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I'd imagine the 'traditional' strategy of turning out the base would circumvent the bulk of social media Russia meddling.  If they hack actual voting machines, it's obviously a different conversation.  But the best defense against it, considering Moscow Mitch, is probabaly to just get the people that don't vote to vote.  Like young people.  Mob the college campuses.

Edited by larrytheimp
Mob not mon

Posted (edited)

Re: healthcare, medicare for all, etc.  

Defend this shit for real, point out that private health insurance exists for the sole purpose of making money off you being sick and being a middleman between your family and their healthcare.  

It's an entire industry that makes money trying to deny coverage where possible and maximizong profits.  They are leeches and parasites.  

Edited by larrytheimp
Spelling

Posted (edited)

You all haven't watched it.

What these people can do, what they have done, what they are doing, shows what you all do to be, well, medieval, at best, when the swing vote is that small, and FB's sale of individual personal data to entities like CA -- which just changed its name and re-incorporated -- actually targets individuals on FB.

But you haven't watched and you won't watch and you haven't read the testimonies in the UK and and here too.  They did swing the Brexit and the 2016 election -- and were so shocked when it worked -- though it had worked for so many other elections and votes in other nations who weren't the biggies.

Edited by Zorral

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

Does it make me fascist that I want to throw the "racism wasn't a problem anymore until Obama divided us" -spouting assholes into concentration camps?

I'd say it makes you human in the best sense.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Zorral said:

You all haven't watched it.

Yes, I have.

Edited by DMC
Quoting was funky, apologies.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I don't think Biden nor Sanders should be compared to Trump in the primaries.  First, it's an entirely different electorate - and situation in terms of the cycle and opposition.  Second, Biden and Sanders have been politicians since, well, before I was born, whereas Trump was not.  Was I wrong about Trump and maybe said something similar to those things at the time?  Yeah, but that doesn't mean the comparison is necessarily accurate.

I agree and I tried to qualify what I said with that in mind. I said the same things about Trump until a week before the election.

The point I was trying to make is the deja vu should be a reminder that even so, still don't take anything for granted. 

Black journalists push media to cover ‘hyper-racial’ moment in politics
‘Race and politics,’ one reporter said, ‘is really the story of our time.’

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/29/black-journalists-racial-politics-1440628

“Sometimes we as an industry don’t understand how psychologically and emotionally tolling these conversations can be,” Washington Post reporter Wesley Lowery told POLITICO, adding that white colleagues are “having a high-minded conversation about things that impact your life every day.”

Lowery wasn’t in the room two weeks ago when Post senior editors concluded that Trump’s tweet telling four Democratic congresswomen of color to “go back” to their native countries was racist. But hours before that decision became public, he tweeted to accuse the media of cowardice and journalists of contorting themselves to avoid using the word.

Lowery told POLITICO he hoped decision-makers in his newsroom and others got his message.

“Social media provides an important outlet for minority journalists to speak clearly and decisively about how they see things and create external pressure that forces institutions not only to respond, but to consider perspectives they might not hear,” he said.

On Saturday, he also tweeted that Trump’s remarks about Baltimore were racist: “Racism often manifests as subtext and implication,” he wrote. “Black & brown ears can hear the racism clearly while our white colleagues engage in fruitless, if earnest, pedantic games.”

He said that news outlets’ hesitance to label as racist Trump’s tweets about the four congresswomen known as the Squad — Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ayanna Pressley, Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar — was part of a larger phenomenon. “Institutions and media organizations have been slower over the course of Trump’s entire political career, his political rise, to accurately describe how he’s used racial grievance and racial prejudice for his own benefit,” he said.

9 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Comparing the conditions to a 3rd world country is inherently imperialistic without further context. It also is pretty racism-adjacent given what the implications are of race and 3rd world countries. I mean, what 3rd world country is he talking about? Costa Rica, which has a better life expectancy and better health and racial conditions than the US? China, which has less per-capita prison population than the US? 

This is a kind of comparison that no one should be making these days.

first, don’t think that is what “imperialistic” means. and second, not sure i follow this reasoning. safe to assume when one is speaking of ‘third world’ (or developing, or global south) countries in general, one is speaking of the collective nations that have been plundered and brutalized by centuries of colonialism and western neoliberal imperialism, in which race is absolutely a factor, but mostly inasmuch as those same colonial/imperialistic powers see them as lesser, savage lands to be forcefully assimilated into western hegemony if not simply exploited for resources, labor, or geopolitical strategic importance. it’s not really that controversial to say that these nations, as a whole — as well as many enclaves writhin the u.s. and other western liberal democracies— do not enjoy the same standards of living by almost any metric you can measure. i’d even say that pointing these facts out is not racist, in fact the argument presented is at best ceding ground the the reactionary racist position that the general state of most non white persons is due to some bogus idea of inherent racial characteristics and not a long and powerful systematic oppression mostly white mostly western ‘first world’

3 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Re: healthcare, medicare for all, etc.  

Defend this shit for real, point out that private health insurance exists for the sole purpose of making money off you being sick and being a middleman between your family and their healthcare.  

It's an entire industry that makes money trying to deny coverage where possible and maximizong profits.  They are leeches and parasites.  

To some extent this is more of a pre-Obamacare argument.  Not to say that these things ceased to be true, but it's not as bad as before.  Not because the industry became nice on their own but because the law forced them into better behavior.  

Now if this lawsuit wins and OCare gets entirely thrown out you're going to see a huge increase in both people with zero coverage and people whose coverage is all of the sudden worse.  

As something of an aside, and here not sure that it matters messaging-wise, the insurance sector gets  bad rap insofar as it's really the overall system that has all kinds of problems with big health systems / hospitals being a huge part of the problem and pharma being another huge part of the problem but with the insurance company often being position as the pain point for people's interaction with the system.  Those other two entities are arguably the bigger problem today with the insurance sector being more tightly regulated than it used to be.  But messaging-wise I can see why insurance is easier to blame.  Start blaming "hospitals" and some people will be like "but I love my nurse" who is not the reason the hospital is a problem overall.  

7 hours ago, Zorral said:

haven't read the testimonies in the UK and and here too.  They did swing the Brexit and the 2016 election -- and were so shocked when it worked --

I haven't watched this one, but the one about the Brexit referendum staring Benedict Cumberbatch highlighted how Aggregate IQ identified FB users who hadn't voted in years, even decades - folks who had basically 'been left behind' - and were no longer being targeted by mainstream parties for campaigning as they didn't exist in most databases. These FB users were targeted with ads for 'free prizes' that involved getting them to provide their responses to various issues which helped the Leave campaign fine-tune their message to reach this segment, besides obviously continuing to target them with ads to get them to register to vote and later obviously come out and actually vote. This documentary did not deal with fake news getting streamed down to these FB accounts, if that happened in the Brexit referendum, but I guess it's not hard to see that that would be (would have been) the next step.

House GOP fears retirement wave will lead to tsunami

Republican strategists say they are bracing for a new wave of exits after members check in with their families over the August recess. Two dozen Republicans won their reelection bids in 2018 by fewer than five percentage points; another 25 won by fewer than ten points.

“There are going to be a lot more [retirements] to come,” said one consultant who works for House Republicans. “Between people finding themselves having to actually work hard for the first time in their long, lazy careers and members who came in in the majority and now hate life in the minority, it's just getting started.”

15 hours ago, DMC said:

Not just them but also all the "don't knows."  There's a lot out there, who knows, maybe someone can muster all of that and get into the top tier.  Booker seems to be getting some run right now, we'll see.

I think Booker is like fetch. It’s just not going to happen. What I find oddest though is Sanders looks like he’s collapsing. I saw a handful of polls last night, and he was under 15% in all of them.

I don't understand how Trump can get away with saying Cummings has stolen billions of dollars meant for Baltimore. Surely either Congress should subpoena Trump to provide evidence of the thefts and Cummings should sue his ass for libel.

31 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I don't understand how Trump can get away with saying Cummings has stolen billions of dollars meant for Baltimore. Surely either Congress should subpoena Trump to provide evidence of the thefts and Cummings should sue his ass for libel.

He didnt really say that Cummings had stolen it. He said:

"Billions of dollars have been pumped in over the years, but to no avail,” Trump tweeted. “The money was stolen or wasted. Ask Elijah E. Cummings where it went. He should investigate himself with his Oversight Committee!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/07/30/he-should-investigate-himself-trump-echoes-fox-news-again-lash-out-elijah-cummings/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f2c3065dc7fe