US Politics: Culture Club

Kalbear

Existential Democratic Party problem:  Republicans agree on the framing of their policies, and argue about the degree and extent to which those policies should be applied. Democrats can't even agree on the framing of their policies. Liberal and moderate Democrats talking about policy frameworks might as well be speaking different languages.

12 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

These moderators really want to shut Warren's mouth, but she persisted.

She just rivaled audience approval of Williamson!

Beto isn't doing it.  Mayor Pete did a lot better.  Bernie burned! Bullock lurches in the way of some actor whose name I can't quite recall when he wants to insinuate that he can be threatening -- did not like that or mostly what he said.  Delany's an ass.  Hickenloper and Klobuchar, they didn't shake out any stronger than before.

Williamson is right, of course, that all this is interconnected and this is why the country's such a wreck.  But she doesn't couch it in political terms. So they let her go on about reparations to scare the frackin shyte outta all those white people? (She's right of course -- this is the underlayer of continuing historic toxicity of this country.)

4 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

All hail Marianne Williamson, who will ride the white soccer mom demographic to the nomination.

She might have played her way into the next debates.

7 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Delivered as awkwardly as it looks on paper too, lol.  To the Senate with you, Ser!  Away from this place!

Yes please!

3 hours ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

I can already hear Conservatives with their "it was a different time", excuse.

I could see this reaction popping up a lot:1:00

Also, I could see many asking “what’s racist about calling blacks monkeys?” and then pointing to one speech where Reagan said racism is bad, as solid proof he in no way is racist.

This is long and grueling even for me who isn't and doesn't need to be totally focused, can do other things and even drink a pina colada and chat with amigos.

Bullock's edges are fraying, he's losing his focus.   Bernie's getting tired.  Beto has quick moments but his eyes say deer caught in national tv headlights.  

Buttiegieg is holding up.

Williamson's healthy lifestyle keeps her fresh and energetic.

Warren's still got it.

The others are still where they were before.

But clearly what the moderators care about is tomorrow: Harris and Biden.  Feh.

Don't need the closing statements.

HATE the media who are so much the problem.

Over and out.  Feel I earned a medal.  Sigh.

“Your question is a Republican talking point”: CNN frames debate questions around right-wing concerns
Republican weren’t onstage during the Democratic debate — but were living rent-free inside moderators’ heads.

https://www.vox.com/2019/7/30/20748009/democratic-debate-cnn-moderator-questions-republican-talking-points-bernie-sanders

People who tuned in to the Democratic presidential debate on Tuesday night could have been forgiven for thinking they accidentally turned the channel to Fox News.

At times during the debate, CNN hosts framed policy questions around Republican talking points. The first instance of this came during the very first question of the debate, when host Jake Tapper’s question to Sen. Bernie Sanders about Medicare-for-all was framed around concerns that President Donald Trump will make it a 2020 campaign issue.

“You support Medicare-for-all, which would eventually take private health insurance away from more than 150 million Americans in exchange for government-sponsored health care for everyone,” Tapper said. “Congressman [John] Delaney just referred to it as bad policy, and previously he’s called the idea political suicide that will just get President Trump reelected. What do you say to Congressman Delaney?”

A short time later, Tapper asked Sen. Elizabeth Warren if she’s “with Bernie on Medicare-for-all,” even though the middle class would pay more in taxes. Warren responded not by discussing the policy in terms of taxes (a frame the GOP has frequently deployed), but by talking about the total cost American families pay now for their health coverage, through both taxes and the cost of health insurance. Sanders was even more direct — he accused Tapper of invoking a “Republican talking point.”

“Any by the way, the health care industry will be advertising tonight on this program,” he added, as Tapper tried to move on quickly — another common occurrence that was widely criticized by debate observers.

55 minutes ago, Triskele said:

That was...surreal.

Man, there's something about Beto's delivery...like there's a tick of some kind in there where it's almost great but something about it is off just enough that it isn't, but I struggle to articulate exactly what it is.  

It's called the uncanny valley, he's actually a set of sentient, parasitic, teeth that have assumed control of a freah human corpse that died of alcohol poisoning at a UT tailgate party back in 1994.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

“Your question is a Republican talking point”: CNN frames debate questions around right-wing concerns
Republican weren’t onstage during the Democratic debate — but were living rent-free inside moderators’ heads.

Yeah I hope Jake Tapper and everybody at CNN is sufficiently ashamed of that travesty.

25 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

It's called the uncanny valley, he's actually a set of sentient, parasitic, teeth that have assumed control of a freah human corpse that died of alcohol poisoning at a UT tailgate party back in 1994.

I hear he's gonna star in that new Cats movie.

Archived