UK politics - The Yellowhammer Made The Robin Weep

Lykos

• 1 month later...

The title alludes to Hank Williams I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry.

I thought of going with - It was the yellowhammer and not the lark - , because dawn is nowhere near in sight and all the suicide for believing tactical fake news at the end of the play, but I wasn't sure I remember Romeo and Juliet correctly.

Best snort of yesterdays news for me

During a visit to a refurbished runway in Knock, west Ireland, Varadkar was given holy water by a priest to “help” him during his meeting with Johnson in New York. “Do I throw it over him?” Varadkar said.

The Guardian

I think you made a certain cat very happy, that he doesn't have to deal with another thread title of mine. Somehow I think, I'll get another shot at bad thread titles before Halloween. Conference season should be good for a few pages.

Ok, after that rather self-indulgent post back to more or less substantial stuff actually related to the topic.

The Guardian Labour Brexit Deal Cartoon is really a thing of beauty

.The Labour Party Conference has gone off to great start.

Watson calling the attempt to oust him a drive by shooting. The NEC trying to again avoid a debate on the Party's Brexit position. Offering more fudge instead. Corbyn suggesting there should be a special party conference after an election (which Labour is obviously gonna win at this point), to decide whether Labour should campaign to remain. Why waste the current party conference to discuss actual policieis, when you can have another one in an imaginary future? One thing is as good as the other.

Also Fisher one of the key figures during the last GE Corbyn won by actually not winning quit.

He accused the Party Leadership of dishonesty and more or less openly questions whether Corbyn can actually win an election. I mean, we had this theme during the last Labour conference (if not before) with Corbyn being a hypocrite (at least IMHO) about listening to the party, but only allowing discussions on things the dear Leader likes to hear. 

Not to mention that Labour's problems with the Remain voters finally showing in the polls. Also a recurring theme with taking the Remain voters for granted while courting the Leave votes up north.

Oh, remember the outrage of Labour over the LibDems refusal to cooperate with them/form a coalition under Corbyn. Guess what Corbyn did; yes he ruled out a coalition. 

The pro-brexit radio presenter Julia Hartley Brewer who works for Talk Radio, has released  details to her Twitter followers about the location of the home of Jolyon Maugham QC, his wife and their small children.

Jolyon Maugham has, for the first time, been told he should take precautions to protect his personal security.
As I’m sure you likely know, Jolyon Maugham has been fighting in the Supreme Court to protect our democratic process.
https://mobile.twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1175766639561859073

@A Horse Named Stranger

I wanted to make a dark Black Friday joke, about how Americans treat their silly electronics shopping like they were after the last bits of food, while the Brits were invading supermarkets like they were after the last bits of food, but much to my dismay I discovered that Black Friday is at the end of November, not October - so well past Brexit. 

Perhaps you’d be dismayed to discover what happened the last time a German thought it was wise to fight on two fronts.

:P

So Johnson refuses to answer questions about some dubious dealings when he was Mayor of London. I'm more interested in the refusal to discuss this than the meat of the issue so far, because it seems quite minor as scandals go: I'm wondering if the Sunday Times have something juicier about his relationship with this 'legitimate businesswoman'* that they can't stand up?

Meanwhile, Labour are discussing a four-day week and nationalising private schools. But I bet you can still find voters complaining that you can't tell the difference between the parties... 

*not suggesting that she's anything other than a genuine businesswoman, but the phrase 'legitimate businessman/woman' is one of those terms that is never used when nothing but actual legitimate business is going on. 

17 minutes ago, mormont said:

So Johnson refuses to answer questions about some dubious dealings when he was Mayor of London. I'm more interested in the refusal to discuss this than the meat of the issue so far, because it seems quite minor as scandals go: I'm wondering if the Sunday Times have something juicier about his relationship with this 'legitimate businesswoman'* that they can't stand up?

The suggestion is that he was having an affair with her (the Guardian mentions visits to her Shoreditch flat) and used public money to help one of his girlfriends/extra-marital liaisons.  He previously hired a girlfriend, Helen MacIntyre, as an unpaid consultant, so he has form.  Boris being Boris, there may be something even shabbier behind this: he paid for her abortions, or refused to pay, or something like that. 

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Thomas Cook has been a dying company for quite some time. Not quite sure what you are implying here 

Just happened across this post, seemed like a good explanation.

https://morningporridge.com/the-morning-porridge/f/blains-morning-porridge---sept-23rd-2019

What killed Thomas Cook?  Liquidity will be listed on the death certificate, but the many issues it failed to address were all about its changing competitive landscape in terms of competition from the collapse in Sterling, Low Cost Carriers, destinations like Egypt, Turkey and Tunisa becoming politically unattractive, new holidays formats like AirBnB, staycations and increasing passenger independence.  The sad fact is the days of the package holiday were over years ago, and Thomas Cook never realised it – which is why it’s been in trouble so long. 

I worked with Thomas Cook a few years ago and it was in a panic back then. The whole market has changed for holiday makers and plenty of high street travel agents simply couldn’t cope. There was also a pretty poorly considered merger from what I recall

Plus I thought the place was a bit of a basket case when I was there.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

@A Horse Named Stranger

Perhaps you’d be dismayed to discover what happened the last time a German thought it was wise to fight on two fronts.

:P

First. He was an Austrian, like Schwarzenegger. Second. He was lacking a full set of ball to pull it off. So he was like the Lance Armstrong of wannabe conquerors.

Anyway, moving back to British politics. Disaster has been averted today, Labour came that close to having an actual Brexit position.But thanks to the Cult of Corbyn Labour has defended its position on top of the fence, with a great view over the field of Brexit where the mere peasents fight. Ever forward with momentum to nowhere.

46 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Don't anyone let me forget to have the news on around 10.30 tomorrow

I'm glad they chose a non-RWC day for the announcement, that'll make it so much easier to dissect and discuss the verdict

I can spoil it for you right now.  It'll likely be unanimous and narrow.  

The SC will hold that the prorogation was unlawful because the effect of prorogation was inconsistent with parliamentary sovereignty at a crucial juncture.  No personal criticism of BJ, no criticism of the government to fail to make a witness statement.  The really interesting question is relief but even then the SC is likely to simply make a declaration and let its reasons stand as a direction to the PM into avoiding a future prorogation (which would be unlawful for the same reason the last one was).  They may opine that even a shorter prorogation closer to the time would trespass upon this principle. 

16 hours ago, mormont said:

Meanwhile, Labour are discussing a four-day week and nationalising private schools. But I bet you can still find voters complaining that you can't tell the difference between the parties... 

*not suggesting that she's anything other than a genuine businesswoman, but the phrase 'legitimate businessman/woman' is one of those terms that is never used when nothing but actual legitimate business is going on. 

From my reading i think Labour discussed a 32 hour work week, but not necessarily a four day week. Not a big difference i know just pointing it out. They also said there would be no cut to wages in this scenario, not really sure how feasible their proposals are, for all i would support the idea

Archived