UK politics - The Yellowhammer Made The Robin Weep

Lykos

Unanimous that it IS judiciable (so England's court decision struck down)

Prorogation is NOT the same as recess

Decision to prorogue is UNlawful

Prorogation is declared null and void, it legally has not happened.

It's now up to the speaker's of each house where to go from here.

I just about choked on my drink. An unbelievably awful decision, and one that the judiciary would never dare make in any other circumstances. Politically, it renders the entire constitutional framework fluid in a way not seen since 1910 - and that is not a good thing.

Worst case scenario is that this gets full seventeenth century, with multiple competing loci of power. And that way lies... something very, very dark.

37 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

If Boris resigns can we crash out and not ask for the extension?

As much as I'd like him to go, I don't think its the right time until the extension is asked.  (I know legally he's required to ask for one if he can't pass a deal.)

No.

If he resigns; he remains PM until someone else takes on the mantle.
Oliver Dowden is the current Minister for the Cabinet Office, which makes him de facto deputy prime minister - he takes over if BJ is incapacitated

4 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

No.

If he resigns; he remains PM until someone else takes on the mantle.
Oliver Dowden is the current Minister for the Cabinet Office, which makes him de facto deputy prime minister - he takes over if BJ is incapacitated

Don't they have a deputy leader role? 

1 hour ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

Politically, it renders the entire constitutional framework fluid in a way not seen since 1910 - and that is not a good thing.

I think it is debatable which of the following puts the most stress on the constitutional framework:

- The decision to prorogue parliament for a very long time

- Followed by the public declaration of the Executive to break a law

- The judicial decision that this is essential an unlawful power-grab by the executive

I mean, I understand the argument that courts should not interfere in what is essentially a political process. However, I believe that Lady Hale is right when she says: "The power to prorogue is limited by the constitutional principles with which it would otherwise conflict." and further: "For present purposes, the relevant limit on the power to prorogue is this: that a decision to prorogue (or advise the monarch to prorogue) will be unlawful if the prorogation has the effect of frustrating or preventing, without reasonable justification, the ability of Parliament to carry out its constitutional functions as a legislature and as the body responsible for the supervision of the executive."

I copied that from Mormonts link which makes for interesting reading.

Why is the UK supreme court relatively new? Is that because Scotland has different laws? I've obviously been following all this stuff but I'm a recent transplant and haven't quite been able to figure out why the court was established in 2009.

While there might be some question marks over the role of the SC in politics now, the murkiness was Johnson trying to hack the system and stop Parliament from doing its job. I for one am glad that our system does seem to work , at least better than I thought it did. 

So surely there would have to be a VONC now?

Archived