How do you handle two highborns fighting over a highborn lady?

Gary S. Ashley

I imagine it would have a lot to do with what her father wants. Who he thinks is the best match for her from a political stand point. In this particular case - being Ned & Sansa he may take into consideration her feelings on the matter. In some cases, I'm sure, the father could probably care less about his daughters feelings & in some cases maybe the daughter is head strong enough that she is allowed to make her own choice. I don't think there are any hard & fast rules for this.

12 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I imagine it would have a lot to do with what her father wants. Who he thinks is the best match for her from a political stand point. In this particular case - being Ned & Sansa he may take into consideration her feelings on the matter. In some cases, I'm sure, the father could probably care less about his daughters feelings & in some cases maybe the daughter is head strong enough that she is allowed to make her own choice. I don't think there are any hard & fast rules for this.

Well, Hoster Tully definitely didn’t take Lysa’s feelings into account when he arranged her marriage to Jon Arryn. That proved to be a mistake, as Lysa poisoned her husband and instigated a war that claimed the lives of her sister, brother-in-law, nephew, and the ousting of her house, while Littlefinger gained Catelyn’s daughter and disposed of Lysa via the Moon Door. I’m still up in the air about whether or not betrothing Lyanna to Robert or Catelyn to Brandon were miscalculations. Hoster was a fool, idiot, imbecile, take your pick. 

I’m honestly surprised that Sansa didn’t have any suitors in the North, particularly since this was high time for betrothals; Catelyn was betrothed to Brandon when she was 12, and Lyanna was anywhere from 12-14 when she was betrothed to Robert Baratheon, depending on when Mya Stone was born.

11 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Well, Hoster Tully definitely didn’t take Lysa’s feelings into account when he arranged her marriage to Jon Arryn. That proved to be a mistake, as Lysa poisoned her husband and instigated a war that claimed the lives of her sister, brother-in-law, nephew, and the ousting of her house, while Littlefinger gained Catelyn’s daughter and disposed of Lysa via the Moon Door. I’m still up in the air about whether or not betrothing Lyanna to Robert or Catelyn to Brandon were miscalculations. Hoster was a fool, idiot, imbecile, take your pick. 

I’m honestly surprised that Sansa didn’t have any suitors in the North, particularly since this was high time for betrothals; Catelyn was betrothed to Brandon when she was 12, and Lyanna was anywhere from 12-14 when she was betrothed to Robert Baratheon, depending on when Mya Stone was born.

Right, like I said it would be up to the father whether or not they took the daughters feelings into account. In Hoster's defense though, he was left with little choice because Lysa was 'spoiled goods' 

I don't think Hoster was an idiot at all. He couldn't have known Lysa would turn out to be so deranged. Catelyn & Brandon should have been a good match I would think. Hoster wouldn't have made the match between Lyanna & Robert. That would've been up to her father. 

Sansa was only 11 at the beginning of aGoT. IIRC Ned &/or Cat said something about her being too young to be betrothed. Maybe 12 is the general age of betrothal? 

2 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Right, like I said it would be up to the father whether or not they took the daughters feelings into account. In Hoster's defense though, he was left with little choice because Lysa was 'spoiled goods' 

I don't think Hoster was an idiot at all. He couldn't have known Lysa would turn out to be so deranged. Catelyn & Brandon should have been a good match I would think. Hoster wouldn't have made the match between Lyanna & Robert. That would've been up to her father. 

I was surprised about Sansa also but maybe there weren't many suitors in the North? We certainly don't hear of any acceptable suitors. IIRC Ned or Catelyn said something about Sansa being too young to be betrothed to Joffrey so maybe they just didn't agree with betrothal so young. I think more than likely Ned just didn't have the ambitions that his father & Cat's father had. He didn't seem to be particularly interested in Sansa becoming queen or what have you. 

Well, for Northern suitors we have:

• Cley Cerwyn, who is of an age with Robb and Jon and close by;
  • Smalljon Umber, who is young enough that he’s still growing;
  • Any of Rickard Karstark’s three sons; 
  • Brandon and Beren Tallhart

Daryn Hornwood is already taken; he was betrothed to Alys Karstark.

I expect that if Jorah Mormont had a son he’d be in the running.

9 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Well, for Northern suitors we have:

• Cley Cerwyn, who is of an age with Robb and Jon and close by;
  • Smalljon Umber, who is young enough that he’s still growing;
  • Any of Rickard Karstark’s three sons; 
  • Brandon and Beren Tallhart

Daryn Hornwood is already taken; he was betrothed to Alys Karstark.

I expect that if Jorah Mormont had a son he’d be in the running.

I actually edited my comment before I saw you post. Sansa was only 11 at the beginning of aGoT

On 7/29/2019 at 12:57 PM, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Sansa was only 11 at the beginning of aGoT. IIRC Ned &/or Cat said something about her being too young to be betrothed. Maybe 12 is the general age of betrothal? 

They didn't care since Sansa was betrothed to Joffrey anyways. I was commenting on Lyanna and Robert since that seems to be a match that could have ended pretty poorly. I think that Catelyn and Brandon could have backfired just as easily as Cersei and Robert.

A scenario I was thinking regarding Sansa was if Jorah had a son who got fostered at Winterfell after Jorah left for Essos to flee Ned. The boy would fall for Sansa, and challenges Joffrey when the betrothal was made.

On 7/31/2019 at 4:38 PM, Angel Eyes said:

?

You know when dogs are fighting in the street, you splash them both with a bucket of water and it shocks them and they break it up?  No?  You must come from a much more civilized place than me!    :D

It seems like dueling is cool in Westeroos.

A Bracken and a Blackwood dueled over Rhaenyra.  Of course, neither had a real shot, but it seems like the Blackwoods and Brackens use any excuse to fight.

In one of the best examples of poor judgment in the stories, Littlefinger challenged Brandon Stark to a duel over Cat.  Maybe Littlefinger was hoping for pity?

I'm also of the opinion that anyone wanting to marry Rohanne Webber would have had to fight the Longinch.

So I'm going to say duel.

On 7/29/2019 at 12:34 PM, Angel Eyes said:

I imagine Cat had Southron Ambitions for her daughters so would have been putting a veto on a Northern match.

Archived