How do you handle two highborns fighting over a highborn lady?

Gary S. Ashley

On 8/2/2019 at 4:00 AM, Lord Wraith said:

I imagine Cat had Southron Ambitions for her daughters so would have been putting a veto on a Northern match.

Hm. I’d think that Ned would stamp on that one, since his father’s Southron Ambitions could have ended very badly even if they went through. Would Catelyn have been happy with Brandon or Lyanna with Robert? I’m not sure.

8 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Hm. I’d think that Ned would stamp on that one, since his father’s Southron Ambitions could have ended very badly even if they went through. Would Catelyn have been happy with Brandon or Lyanna with Robert? I’m not sure.

Sure Cat would have been happy enough with Brandon. Lyanna probably would not have been happy with Robert but that's not really the main concern when making marriage matches. 

On 8/3/2019 at 8:52 AM, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Sure Cat would have been happy enough with Brandon. Lyanna probably would not have been happy with Robert but that's not really the main concern when making marriage matches. 

Still, the War of Five Kings occurred because two women were unhappy with their marriages. Cersei’s unhappiness with Robert led her to cut the line of succession with her incest-born bastards, while because Lysa didn’t like Jon Arryn, she was manipulated by Littlefinger into poisoning her husband, framed the Lannisters, and incited the Starks into causing the chain of events that led to the Starks and Tully’s downfall. 

Who knows what would have happened to Sansa and what she would have done if she had married Joffrey?

21 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Still, the War of Five Kings occurred because two women were unhappy with their marriages. Cersei’s unhappiness with Robert led her to cut the line of succession with her incest-born bastards, while because Lysa didn’t like Jon Arryn, she was manipulated by Littlefinger into poisoning her husband, framed the Lannisters, and incited the Starks into causing the chain of events that led to the Starks and Tully’s downfall. 

Who knows what would have happened to Sansa and what she would have done if she had married Joffrey?

Well, the War ocurred because there's multiple factions within Westeros who want power in the government apparatus, and they do not get along.  Not to mention that said government  was designed around the Throne having superior firepower in the form of Dragons to keep everyone in line, which it no longer has.  Everything that's going on is just the aftershocks of the fall of the Targs as Westeros slowly decays back into its constitutent parts without the glue of the Targs to hold it together.  Outside of a shared language (which is rather hard to believe honestly) and shared religion, there isn't much to tie Westeros together.  They have no external enemies to unite them and they are split up into many disparate regions and cultures with long history of intercine warfare.

I don't think its fair to entirely blame what was a pretty likely continued collapse of Westeros's political climate on the actions of a couple women.  If the Lords hadn't wanted war, they wouldn't have gone to war so easily.  If the national government structure was stronger, none of them would have been able to go to war anyway.

On 7/29/2019 at 5:09 AM, Angel Eyes said:

On 7/29/2019 at 5:47 AM, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Apparently so! I wonder why?? Maybe it was an accident?

It's a bot. Look at the post count and formatting artifacts. Why a bot would be tasked with infiltrating this forum is anyone's guess: it might be relatively benign, doing chatbot research, or it might be establishing a plausible post history so when it spams private messages to users here looking for identity theft victims it seems more like a real person.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 5:18 AM, Gary S. Ashley said:

Say if Ned had a ward at Winterfell who wanted to marry Sansa at the same time as the beginning of AGOT, how would the situation be resolved? 

Joffrey would get Sansa because he is, as future king, by a country mile the best match politically, militarily and financially. Any Lord would like his daughter to be the queen consort and his grandson sit on the Iron Throne.

Archived