Trailer Thread VI

Nictarion

43 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Is it possible to watch this trailer and think that anybody other than Michael Bay directed that. 

I would've believed Justin Lin.

And I think I would've been more excited if it was.

15 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Hopefully Guy Ritchie can find that magic of LS&TSB and Snatch again.

Did guy Ritchie ever have any magic? Lock Stock and Snatch IMO are really not great movies, and I didn't think they were all that good when they came out. Watching Snatch the other day to see if I'd misjudged it, it still came across as a student movie that wasn't half as clever as it thought it was. Both are so derivative of other movies, and get away with it because of some funny cockney accents. 

I reckon he's been found out since then. The only half decent movie of his I can recall being The Man from UNCLE. 

49 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Did guy Ritchie ever have any magic? Lock Stock and Snatch IMO are really not great movies, and I didn't think they were all that good when they came out. Watching Snatch the other day to see if I'd misjudged it, it still came across as a student movie that wasn't half as clever as it thought it was. Both are so derivative of other movies, and get away with it because of some funny cockney accents. 

I reckon he's been found out since then. The only half decent movie of his I can recall being The Man from UNCLE. 

It’s amazing how often I disagree with you. :lol:

37 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

It’s amazing how often I disagree with you. :lol:

I have to agree with your disagreement.

The Man from Uncle I found slow, predictable and just boring, while I really enjoyed Snatch, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, and even RocknRolla.

20 minutes ago, Leofric said:

I have to agree with your disagreement.

The Man from Uncle I found slow, predictable and just boring, while I really enjoyed Snatch, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, and even RocknRolla.

Yeah, I remember almost nothing about The Man from Uncle. 

Snatch is one of my favorite movies. Probably top 20. 

I definitely was a college kid when it was super cool to be a college kid with a Snatch poster and VHS. I still enjoy it and Lock Stock in theory, though I haven't watched either in several years. But by god almighty, that King Arthur dreck was one of the absolute worst times I've ever had trying to watch a movie. It was like trying to sit still in the middle of five infants taking turns ruining their diapers. I kept wincing and groaning until I simply could not continue. Man, I hated that movie.

That Man from UNCLE movie was solidly Just Fine. I think I've even seen it a second time at some point, but can't remember anything interesting about it except wishing both leads got more popcorn action roles. I will probably catch this new one streaming at some point, though I rather solidly dislike McConnaughey and Grant most of the time.

Well I'd say Snatch is nothing more than Ritchie remaking Lock Stock for an American audience. Lock Stock is really nothing more than cobbling together of a lot of stuff other people were doing at the time and adding a cockney twist to it. I quite like Lock Stock, it has energy and some fun performances, but at the time everything was looking like that, its like a film school student's movie with good actors. That film student having watched a lot of Danny Boyle and and Tarantino at the time. Snatch is just more of the same.  I don't think it holds up at all now. Its such a movie of its time, when all movies were doing the same thing. Ritchie also pretty much started the dreadful British Gangster movie trend that never seemed to die.

Ever since Ritchie has barely managed to make a good movie. I mentioned Man from UNCLE but even that is average at best. He's also made that movie with his wife Madonna which is often on the list of worst ever films. I think the guy is a bit of a hack.

Snatch is definitely a good movie for a college-age person who appreciates that kind of humor, and really for anyone who appreciates that kind of humor. I haven't watched it in years, but chuckle if I think about various lines from it. A highly quotable movie. But yeah, Ritchie's formula is stale and doesn't always work. I watched RocknRolla only once, and don't remember a thing about it. His King Arthur movie was insulting to the mythology, but would have been a bit better if it was called something else and had nothing to do with the mythology.

13 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

That Man from UNCLE movie was solidly Just Fine. I think I've even seen it a second time at some point, but can't remember anything interesting about it except wishing both leads got more popcorn action roles. 

I found this incredibly good fun both times I've seen it. I wish they were making a 2nd.

17 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

That seems really, really early to me. Can't think of anything that was ever teased that early.

'Force Awakens' teaser was aired over a full year before the movie for example. 

and people were hyped for that movie for a year. 

Archived