Trailer Thread VI

Nictarion

7 hours ago, DMC said:

I used the 2001 comparison because Interstellar was plainly Nolan's attempt to honor and update it.  I think that actually coulda happened if he let his brother's ending be the finish.

That's interesting coz it doesn't seem to tally at all with the reported original ending we saw in the script Spielberg was working from, which was just as complex, just more logical and less 'love transcends time and space'. 

7 hours ago, DMC said:

I used the 2001 comparison because Interstellar was plainly Nolan's attempt to honor and update it.

Oh, for sure. I'm always of the opinion that the 'modern 2001' won't be a film that tries to be 2001 so attempts to do that are, well, not pointless coz we still get good films, but doomed to fail in that particular respect. Nolan is hardly the only one, but that is one of the places I thought the film went a bit kablooey- he did change the ending to be more like 2001 in that he changed the wormhole sequence to be more mindbusting like 'it's full of stars' than the more grounded initial attempts and it didn't quite sit with the structures and themes the film already had.

Don't get me wrong though I still like Interstellar and it gave us No Time for Caution so bonus points for that.

We were supposed to get this, this summer, but postponed, of course.  The Green Knight looks intriguing; the trailer at least allows one to feel we are entering the Arthurian world of legend, as opposed to the historical - political era.

The only thing more dangerous than the front lines was the fight to get there. Screenplay by Tom Hanks, Greyhound premieres July 10 on the Apple TV app: https://apple.co/_Greyhound

Inspired by real events, Captain Ernest Krause (Tom Hanks) leads an international convoy of 37 ships on a treacherous mission across The Atlantic to deliver thousands of soldiers and much-needed supplies to Allied forces. Stephen Graham, Rob Morgan, and Elisabeth Shue star alongside Hanks. The Apple Original film was directed by Aaron Schneider and produced by Gary Goetzman.

2 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Looks worse than the theatrical release....

Lol that's a bit of a reach for like two images. I'm trying not to be mean, it really sucked what happened with that movie. Didn't it put Ben Affleck in rehab or something? Not necessarily my thing, but I'm glad they're getting the version they wanted finished. I will admit Gal Gadot looking at that image of Darkseid is kinda cool...

23 minutes ago, Ran said:

"We wanted DUNE, but this will do." - Some exec at Apple

So the female lead is apparently playing Salvor Hardin, who in Asimov's series wasn't born until about 17 years after Seldon dies.  Seems like she has a very different beginning than written about, but probably will evolve into role of mayor of Terminus, using Foundation tech to defeat neighbor planets seeking to conquer the Foundation.

I notice that they're filming in 8K with the 6:5 ratio, per the Red camera monitor at the 18 second mark. I don't think GoT ever got over 4K, Altered Carbon shot at 6.5k, Mandalorian is at 4.5k.

Wonder if they're rendering the effects at 8K as well,....

Wait. At 1:40, is that the thing we're seeing a miniature of at 0:27? They're actually using miniature shots for some of the visual effects?

Costuming is terrific, by the looks of it, as well.

Finally, for those who remember the series better than I (probably been nigh 30 years since I read the books):

Spoiler

I'm guessing the alien monster attacking her is actually a telepathic projection to try and scare her away, but I can't recall what the situation would be in the early part of the novels that would make this a thing. Are they bringing the telepathy/Second Foundation into it very early? Probably...

That's looking pretty epic in scope. Although, I never liked the Foundation books; reading them felt so... claustrophobic to me. It's kind of hard to describe, and its not a feeling I've gotten from other books. But the focus on predestination, and maybe something about the writing style, made me feel really uncomfortable when I read them. When it comes to older sci fi, I had a much better time with Jack Vance. I'm hoping that the TV show doesn't give me that same cramped feeling; 'cause those production values are looking great.

Although if it's only available through Apple TV I might never see it anyway, making the point moot.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

"We wanted DUNE, but this will do." - Some exec at Apple

The visuals seem mindblowing to me, but the story itself seems dull. I hope this is not another Avatar. 

Archived