Trailer Thread VI

Nictarion

6 minutes ago, Ran said:

I'm guessing he has some relationship with the rights holders, given his involvement in I, Robot.

I figure, but what I really have a problem with is that Goyer is involved with so much. He's the guy non-geek filmmakers go to when they're trying to make something geeky, and it makes no sense since despite initial successes with Blade and the Dark Knight trilo, it's become clear he has no idea what geeks like about geeky properties and increasingly doesn't really know how to get non-geeks to care beyond just going all gritty.

23 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I figure, but what I really have a problem with is that Goyer is involved with so much. He's the guy non-geek filmmakers go to when they're trying to make something geeky, and it makes no sense since despite initial successes with Blade and the Dark Knight trilo, it's become clear he has no idea what geeks like about geeky properties and increasingly doesn't really know how to get non-geeks to care beyond just going all gritty.

I mean, Goyer's an old school comic book fan who used to write to the letter columns. He has some sense of what geeks want. It's just that he has a very B-movie sensibility, as you'd expect from a guy whose first two scripts were a Jean-Claude van Damme action flick and the sequel to a Van Damme action flick. 

But in this case, it may help him -- it certainly seems to me that the costuming is a throwback to some of the psychedelic visions of the future (Vadim's BarbarellaMetal Hurlant/Heavy Metal, MobiusJodorowsky's Dune, etc.) and it's the kind of thing that most modern creators might have shied away from (see the okay-but-underwhelming glimpses of Villeneuve's Dune costuming), and yet it fits this sort of wildly far futuristic tale

Lets all hope for this being his next Dark City rather than his next The Unborn...

Huh. Interesting. Had no idea Andy Samberg was remaking Groundhog Day as a two-hander. Looks fun though.

Also, I liked the first Kingsman movie a lot and hated the second one. I'm hoping this new one is good, that's certainly a stylish trailer, but I'm not sure I trust it.

Don't know what to make of Waiting for the Barbarians.

Waiting for Barbarians looked to have potential until Depp turned up thinking that the foundation for character is a pair of funny glasses. Lost interest after that!

Kingsman actually could be a return to form, as the second Kingsman movie is one of the laziest cash grab sequels I can remember. Elton John and a vagina cam cannot be forgiven easily. But this looked well made, like some amount of care had gone into it.

I really don’t know if Palm Springs can be good, the Groundhog Day formula doesn’t have that many legs. Happy Death Day did an ok job of basically recycling the plot and adding a murderous twist but I still felt like I’d seen it all before. Even the seemingly good performances here don’t feel me with excitement 

On 6/24/2020 at 9:06 PM, GallowKnight said:

Palm Springs looks fun, thanks for sharing.

Waiting for the Barbarians has me in a bind. On the one hand it is not a good sign that it hasn't attracted more buzz for a film that was released in Venice pre-CoVID, on the other hand the story does look good. One thing thatbothers me is that it seems to be an abstraction. Like, which European empire is this supposed to be? There are so many real-life historical examples that need to be told that it seems kind of frivolous to tell an abstract version of it.

7 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

While I welcome any adaptation, this looks pretty bland and unspectacular. You could create that world very imaginatively but from what I see it looks like a collection of boiler plate sci fi locations and costume stitched together.

20 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Waiting for the Barbarians has me in a bind. On the one hand it is not a good sign that it hasn't attracted more buzz for a film that was released in Venice pre-CoVID, on the other hand the story does look good. One thing thatbothers me is that it seems to be an abstraction. Like, which European empire is this supposed to be? There are so many real-life historical examples that need to be told that it seems kind of frivolous to tell an abstract version of it.

It is more universal as an abstraction, surely? Not sure I'll watch the film but the novel is certainly a master piece in every way. 

7 hours ago, Scott_N said:

It is more universal as an abstraction, surely? Not sure I'll watch the film but the novel is certainly a master piece in every way. 

If executed well, perhaps. If not, than abstraction satisfies no one as many of the injustices are of a hyper personal nature to the descendants of both the subjugated and the perpetrators. 

It reminds me a whole lot of this film, which I quite liked watching, though I've only seen it once:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tartar_Steppe

Adaptation
In 1976 the novel was adapted into an homonymous film (known in English as The Desert of the Tartars)[3] by Italian director Valerio Zurlini and starring Jacques Perrin as Drogo with Max von Sydow as Ortiz and Vittorio Gassman as Filimore. The film omits certain parts of the novel, especially those relating to the lives of Drogo's friends in his home town.

Legacy
The novel was a major influence on South African-born writer J. M. Coetzee's 1980 novel Waiting for the Barbarians, the title of which is borrowed from Constantine P. Cavafy's poem of the same name.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if the Bill and Ted movie will actually turn out to be good; but I do know I had a big grin while watching that trailer. And that almost never happens.

Archived