Who is Quaithe?

BlackDread12

Fire And Blood answered that question.  She is helping Daenerys Targaryen because she serves the light.  She took her ship beyond where anyone else has and she knows a lot.  That she is helping Daenerys means Quaithe is one of the protagonists because she helps the hero.

What makes you think she is helping Daenerys when she is causing her to go paranoid instead? Was Quentyn Martell ever a threat to Daenerys? Is the Lion and Griffin arriving together to Mereen? What about Mummer's Dragon? Did Quentyn ever met "faegon" or was he with Tattered Prince all the time? Or with Daenerys? 

6 hours ago, U. B. Cool said:

Fire And Blood answered that question.  She is helping Daenerys Targaryen because she serves the light.  She took her ship beyond where anyone else has and she knows a lot.  That she is helping Daenerys means Quaithe is one of the protagonists because she helps the hero.

I don't think she is helping Daenerys, as @Jova Snow pointed out, she seems to be rather making Daenerys paranoid and pushing away potential allies. IF Daenerys goes murderous/paranoid/MadQueen route, it will be in large part Quaithe's fault.

We don't know anything for sure. Shiera Seastar is a good candidate. She would have to use some kind of magic to prolong her life span but that is definitely possible. As for her agenda, it's not likely that she has any interest in Dany's quest to win the Iron Throne, but she probably knows about the Others and the whole prince that was promised / Azor Ahai business.

9 hours ago, U. B. Cool said:

Haven't read Fire and Blood yet :( 

Will do before WOW comes out. 

9 hours ago, Jova Snow said:

What makes you think she is helping Daenerys when she is causing her to go paranoid instead? Was Quentyn Martell ever a threat to Daenerys? Is the Lion and Griffin arriving together to Mereen? What about Mummer's Dragon? Did Quentyn ever met "faegon" or was he with Tattered Prince all the time? Or with Daenerys? 

I don't think that she is intentionally making her paranoid. Quentyn and others want to associate (marry) with her only because she has dragons. Quaithe certainly wants Dany to have all the power solely to herself. 

1 minute ago, BlackDread12 said:

Haven't read Fire and Blood yet :( 

Will do before WOW comes out. 

10 hours ago, U. B. Cool said:

what do u mean? 

Funnily enough the one person coming to her in Dance she doesn’t tell her to mistrust is Jorah. This is probably because Jorah was feeding her paranoia and Iam sure in Clash there’s a bit where he even agrees with Quiathe.

If Quiathe is playing the long game it could be because Dany being mad and isolated causes her to do something which benefits the light. Ostensibly this has been to encourage Dany to find her destiny to fight the Others. All the other individuals have in one sense or another diverted her from that course. So Quiathe is not interested in Dany becoming Queen of Westeros at all and so her advocating things which harm that makes sense.

I think she warned about Q because Dany must stay unmarried. This very likely is due to the AA prophecy.

TbH I don’t like it when a character blindly trusts somebody. If I put Quiathe in a Pathfinder RPG I know that they would be like “well I dinna trust her. Something off here lads!”. That can cross into unbelievable after a certain point. Same with Bran and the Three Eyed Crow. 

17 minutes ago, Tyrion1991 said:

Funnily enough the one person coming to her in Dance she doesn’t tell her to mistrust is Jorah. This is probably because Jorah was feeding her paranoia and Iam sure in Clash there’s a bit where he even agrees with Quiathe.

Or maybe because Dany already knows that Jorah is not trustworthy.

1 hour ago, StepStark said:

Or maybe because Dany already knows that Jorah is not trustworthy.

But then (its very likely to be) Quiathe uses a vision of Jorah in the grass sea at the end of Dance to convince her to embrace being a dragon. Pointing out that Dany is “alone because you sent me from your side”. 

3 minutes ago, Tyrion1991 said:

But then (its very likely to be) Quiathe uses a vision of Jorah in the grass sea at the end of Dance to convince her to embrace being a dragon. Pointing out that Dany is “alone because you sent me from your side”. 

Is it confirmed that Quiathe is implanting visions in Dany's mind in Dance?

2 hours ago, StepStark said:

Is it confirmed that Quiathe is implanting visions in Dany's mind in Dance?

No. But Quiathe does appear in that vision as a field of stars telling Dany to remember who she is. 

As an aside I find it so unsettling how even somebody as powerful as Dany is utterly helpless when confronted by these sort of supernatural events. Very Cthulhu esque.

7 minutes ago, BlackDread12 said:

But she got married

Not for lack of trying. Dany has a weird nightmare before the marriage where she imagines Hidzhars cold hands on her, his purple lips and his ice cock inside her. Subtle Quiathe. Subtle.

Plus, she may have had an incline that wasn’t going to turn out alright and she’s not infallible.

On 7/31/2019 at 8:48 PM, Prince of the North said:

I tend to think Quaithe is simply Quaithe.  But IF she turns out to be someone else...my vote is Shiera Seastar.

It is known. The support for Shiera Seastar being Quaithe comes from two quotes, this...

Dany had not noticed Quaithe in the crowd, yet there she stood, eyes wet and shiny behind the implacable red lacquer mask.

Daenerys III, Clash 40

And this...

“You’ve known queens and princesses. Did they dance with demons and practice the black arts?”

“Lady Shiera does. Lord Bloodraven’s paramour. She bathes in blood to keep her beauty."

The Sworn Sword

I like the theory because it would wrap up the involvement of each of the Great Bastards in the current tale. Aegon is the heir of Daemon Blackfyre, the Golden Company is attempting to fulfill the dream of Bittersteel, Bloodraven is guiding Bran to his fate, and Shiera is guiding Daenerys to hers. 

I think that Quaithe is Shiera Seastar, based on 1. info in Dany's last chapter in ADWD, where she a) identified whispering stars as Quaithe, and b) saw that her mask is made of starlight, and 2. Dany's IX chapter in AGOT, where in her fevered dream she saw whispering and smiling stars, and ghosts with eyes colored like jades, opals, tourmalines, and amethysts. All of those four stones either bi-colored, have dual nature of coloring, or there are many varieties of them. There are green and blue jades; opals are blue-green stones; there are blue tourmalines, and green tourmalines, and even bi-colored blue-green or green-blue tourmalines; and even though amethysts are purple, they have secondary hue, it's either red or blue. And Shiera Seastar had mismatched blue green eyes. In Yi Ti there were emperors - Jade Emperor, Tourmaline Emperor, etc. <- they are a red herring, to make readers think, that those ghosts in Dany's dream, are people from the past, while actually it was one person, not many (that's why in Dany's dream they shouted as one), and that person had mismatched blue-green eyes. And there's only one character in ASOIAF, that has mismatched green and blue eyes. There are others with blue and black, green and black eyes, but besides Shiera, there's no one else with green-blue eyes. So, those ghosts in faded raiment of kings in Dany's dream, is Shiera Seastar in red-black attire, which is a traditional coloring for Targaryen court, who are Kings of the past, thus her raiment of kings is faded. Shiera is still alive, even though she is over 110 years old, because she's a user of blood magic, she was bathing in blood to stay young and beautiful (Egg mentioned this in The Sworn Sword novel).

Also Quaithe/Shiera is the Three-Eyed Crow. Am I really the only reader of ASOIAF, that have figured it out?

Whoever Quaithe is, I'm not sure that she's Dany's friend. 

Maybe it's all the rereads and so much time to think about this, you sort of start to wonder.

Quaithe comes to Dany in ADwD after 9 people have been murdered by the sons of the Harpy. We are talking freedmen and Unsullied. But instead of trying to help her with that situation, she is warning her about people who are thousands of leagues away from her. And IIRC (because I don't have my book handy), this is the same chapter when Dany locks up her dragons.

If Quaithe had given Dany the smallest of hints about who the Harpy was (if there's such a thing as that) who the people conducting this guerrilla warfare against her were, then she may never have had to marry Hizdhar in the first place. She might have traveled to Westeros with Quentyn instead and maybe ended up linking up with Jon Connington & Co in Volantis. 

Quaithe seems to have her own agenda where Dany is concerned and she seems adamant that Dany has to follow the path she laid before her with the whole "To go north you must go south . . ." business. And if Quaithe has magical abilities that go beyond her being a shadowbinder, then she might be trying to manipulate an outcome/prophecy she might have foreseen. 

And these things never end well and this imo makes her no better than Melisandre and what she has been up to with Stannis. 

Archived