Sign in to follow this  
Mosi Mynn

Libraries in fiction

shelves full of indexes of book indexes would by definition be infinitely long

we have ways to manage this, such as reference guides, essentially bibliographies of bibliographies.  

4 minutes ago, sologdin said:

shelves full of indexes of book indexes would by definition be infinitely long

we have ways to manage this, such as reference guides, essentially bibliographies of bibliographies.  

Aye, provided that the system has been in use for as long as the library has existed, or that the whole thing is continuously kept updated. Besides, any such system eventually breaks down when you start dealing with infinitely large libraries. 

a fractalic library, maybe, mandelbrotian organization, infinite riches in a little room.

The library in Un Dun Lun would be it for me; it exemplifies Foucault's notion of heterotopia. 

Edited by Ravenhair

I like the Invisible Library.  I also enjoyed the focus on libraries and librarians in the Lemony Snicket series.  

On 8/20/2019 at 3:32 AM, Kyll.Ing. said:

Or consider magical libraries filled with all conceivable books, every book ever written or every book ever not written. Finding anything of real value in those would be a futile task. Even the index detailing which rooms hold the shelves full of indexes of book indexes would by definition be infinitely long.

Until the librarian runs into Russell's Paradox, and realises that the library can't contain all conceivable books.