House Lannister is doomed.

Angel Eyes

Let's take a look at the family tree as we know it from the show:

1. Lord Tywin Lannister: Double-tapped with a crossbow.
    1. Queen Cersei Lannister: Crushed under rubble
    2. Ser Jaime Lannister: Crushed under rubble
      1. King Joffrey "Baratheon": Poisoned with the Strangler
      2. Princess Myrcella "Baratheon": Poisoned with the Long Farewell
      3. King Tommen "Baratheon": Committed suicide by jumping out a window
    3. Tyrion Lannister: Self-sworn to celibacy
  2. Ser Kevan Lannister: Blown up by wildfire
    1. Brother Lancel: Blown up by wildfire
    2. Willem Lannister: Killed by Karstark soldiers
    3. Martyn Lannister: Stabbed by Rickard Karstark
  3. Other Lannisters:
    1. Stafford Lannister: Killed at the Battle of Oxcross
    2. Alton Lannister: Strangled by Jaime Lannister
    3. Reginald Lannister: Unknown
    4. Orson Lannister: Kicked in the head by a horse as a child

So as the story stands, House Lannister will fade into history. Who gets the Rock?

• 3 months later...
On 11/4/2019 at 1:16 AM, Rose of Red Lake said:

Maybe Tywin's sister...but I think she's married to a Frey so say he dies and she inherits. Or, maybe it falls onto the sea from some Eldritch cataclysm. 

Genna Lannister is adapted out of the show.

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2019 at 11:58 PM, Angel Eyes said:

Reginald Lannister: Unknown

This could mean Reginald survived. 

All hail lord Reginald Lannister! Warden of the West, Lord Paramount of the Westerland and lord of Casterley Rock!

In fact Reginald was probably brilliant enough to forsee everything. He MANIPULATED Tywin into sending him back home so he could watch the rest of the family fall from the safety of his Lannisport. Now all Reginald needs to do is deal with Tyrion and he'll be set for life. In fact he might even be setting himself up to succeed Bran when the nobles next decide on a king. 

All hail lord Reginald Lannister! Warden of the West, Lord Paramount of the Westerland and lord of Casterley Rock! All hail KING Reginald Lannister, lord of the six kingdoms, king of the Andals and the first men, and protector of the realm. Long may he reign! 

In the show, Tyrion is alive and well at the end.  When did he swear to be celibate?  If he did, I doubt it will last.  He'd quite like to be Lord of the Rock and continue the Lannister dynasty, I think; maybe TV-Tyrion would actually be a better lord than his father.  Of course, in the show, either the Lannisters or the Crown owes the Iron Bank quite a bit of coin, and Tywin said that the mines are failing; so maybe Tyrion had to sell Casterly Rock to the highest bidder or forfeit it to the Iron Bank to pay off the Crown's debt.

I’m not sure if Tyrion swore off sex entirely or more likely just whores. Then again part of his “penance” may mean giving up a claim to the rock and the west as well as marriage. 

As for fate of the above-the show doesn’t really say and honestly never got across that the westerlands were a kingdom of their own.

Which leads me to wonder how that will go in the books-Tyrion’s fate may or may not be the same or different, and there are a lot more Lannister’s in the books than the show. So who gets the rock and the west? 

Personally I think the options are-Tyrion, Sansa(an ironic reversal of Tywin’s ambition a Stark at the rock rather than a lannister at winterfell), possibly Joy Hill, maybe a Westerling(maybe if Jeyne has a child?) But that’s book speculation.

As for the show, and not deigning to speculate/add characters I’d say Tyrion has claim to the rock, as the show doesn’t say he had to give it up. And there aren’t any other options and of course no one mentioned. 

Reginald struck me as the show’s representation of Lannister cousins/Lannisport Lannisters. And since he had a wife he presumably had children. So house Lannister will endure, even if Tyrion sires no heirs. And there are presumably enough vassals with Lannister blood who could take the name. 

• 5 months later...
22 hours ago, TwiceBorn said:

Tyrion and Sansa will marry (agin) and this will end the feud between their families. Their children will rule the the North, the West AND whole of Westeros.

Why on Earth would that happen? Sansa is Queen of an independent Kingdom. What does she need a Lannister Lordling for? And there is no feud between Starks and Lannisters anymore since the only Lannister is Tyrion and he isn't feuding with the Starks.

Archived