u.s. politics: sundowning on the american empire

I just watched Trump give condolences to the folks in El Paso and Dayton, not once saying white supremacy but going on and on about mental illness. 

’There’s no room for hate in America’ he said. If my mom was still alive I’m positive she’d shake her fist at him and call on God to strike him in down for his lies.

I also saw an earlier interview with Mulvaney denying that Trump was a white supremacist and saying the cause of the shootings was mental illness, that you’d have to be crazy to be a white supremacist. Too bad he forgot Trump said there were fine people in Charlotte. Fine people, not mentally ill people.

13 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

No no, it was the VIDEO GAMES

Indeed, those have contributed to the white nationalist insanity of quite a few inveterate gamer - losers.  Gamification, it's called, obsession with kill scores.

26 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

No no, it was the VIDEO GAMES

Yeah both Patrick and Kevin McCarthy brought out that old chestnut.  It's Call of Duty's fault!  

13 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Yeah, we had this problem back in the 1980's. And it led directly to the events depicted in the movie Footloose.

Greatest cautionary tale of our time.  John Lithgow tried to warn us!

Wait, I thought the people what did most of the shooting were the ones who prayed the most. And what they are praying for is a glorious white ethno-state.

10 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

not sure if serious...

Neither am I but it looks like a serious dig. I believe a number of studies have found that video games to not cause people to become racist, or anti-socially violent.

33 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just watched Trump give condolences to the folks in El Paso and Dayton, not once saying white supremacy but going on and on about mental illness. 

’There’s no room for hate in America’ he said. If my mom was still alive I’m positive she’d shake her fist at him and call on God to strike him in down for his lies.

I also saw an earlier interview with Mulvaney denying that Trump was a white supremacist and saying the cause of the shootings was mental illness, that you’d have to be crazy to be a white supremacist. Too bad he forgot Trump said there were fine people in Charlotte. Fine people, not mentally ill people.

I'm researching how young men become radicalized through the internet, and I'm drawing from the large base of research that studied radicalized Islamic terrorists. Much of the research says that these young men are not mentally ill, they are unimpressive in just about every measurable way. The path to radicalization takes years, and the social groups are integral to this type of radicalization. But, what do I expect from Trump? Measure and reason?

16 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

not sure if serious...

I will say (and I'm saying this as an avid gamer)--there is something up with online gamer culture. Games aren't the culprit, but that so many of these young men (not just the killers, but young men in the hate ranks nonetheless) come from gamer culture. Why? I have no idea. 

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah both Patrick and Kevin McCarthy brought out that old chestnut.  It's Call of Duty's fault!  

Greatest cautionary tale of our time.  John Lithgow tried to warn us!

And what really sucks is that the APA "confirms" a link between games and violence. Tons of researchers have come out and said this is crap and their methodology has fundamentally flawed holes embedded within, but when you have such a big organization supporting the games = violence narrative, it's hard to get away from.

Just now, Simon Steele said:

And what really sucks is that the APA "confirms" a link between games and violence. Tons of researchers have come out and said this is crap and their methodology has fundamentally flawed holes embedded within, but when you have such a big organization supporting the games = violence narrative, it's hard to get away from.

Yeah, I'm not a gamer, but I live with my brother and that's pretty much all he does.  I think there is something to be said for the toxic masculinity in gaming - just as on the internet - but both are very clearly correlation does not equal causation cases.

Gaming is a correlative piece of data, just like abusing women is, just like being a man is. It is obviously not the cause simply because most of the rest of the world also games, yet they dont have these problems. 

It is likely that US gaming culture is predatory and a number of people use it to radicalize men who are unhappy with their lives and are looking for a cause. Gaming is what they do because they dont have many friends, a good family life and relationships, so they game - but gaming doesnt make them do this. 

Though one might argue that gaming gives them just enough pleasure in life to not go seek help or other more human outlets for pleasure. That may be bad. 

40 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Gaming is a correlative piece of data, just like abusing women is, just like being a man is. It is obviously not the cause simply because most of the rest of the world also games, yet they dont have these problems. 

It is likely that US gaming culture is predatory and a number of people use it to radicalize men who are unhappy with their lives and are looking for a cause. Gaming is what they do because they dont have many friends, a good family life and relationships, so they game - but gaming doesnt make them do this. 

Though one might argue that gaming gives them just enough pleasure in life to not go seek help or other more human outlets for pleasure. That may be bad. 

Even before I was born comics were the road to hell and worse for the youth of America. By the time I was old enough to read that was debunked. Then tv and movies were blamed, arcade games followed after that as the cause and now it is video games. Excuse my yawns.

A

I realize this is getting into conspiracy territory, but a not insignificant part of me kind of thinks the broken arm is bullshit.   The more I think about this, the more I’m wondering if it’s a convenient way to avoid addressing his status as a Russian asset as well as avoiding giving a response to white supremacist domestic terrorism for the next 6 weeks.

5 minutes ago, butterbumps! said:

The more I think about this, the more I’m wondering if it’s a convenient way to avoid addressing his status as a Russian asset as well as avoiding giving a response to white supremacist domestic terrorism for the next 6 weeks.

It's certainly convenient timing considering the next five weeks are the August recess where MCs usually hold town halls etc. to address their constituents.  Further, there is mounting pressure for McConnell to cancel the recess to take up gun control legislation.  This gets him out of doing either.  I just hope he really committed and had someone actually fracture his shoulder.

Archived